Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection almost stranded us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We dined at a restaurant last night with 40 miles rated range left. The supercharger was 9 miles away from the restaurant. Outside air was 102F. After an hour and a half, we came out to find the car with 16 miles range left. We limped to the SC without AC; got there with 5 miles left. During the limp, I got a message saying Cabin Overheat Protection is now off due to low charge (at 15 miles range). I think the Cabin Overheat Protection was the culprit to the 24-mile range reduction.

I'll have to remember to turn off the cabin overheat protection when running low on range going forward. I think Tesla should turn that off not at 15-mile range but at like 50-mile range, or even better, turn it off if the SC is X-miles away from the current location.

We dined at a restaurant last night with 40 miles rated range left. The supercharger was 9 miles away from the restaurant. Outside air was 102F. After an hour and a half, we came out to find the car with 16 miles range left. We limped to the SC without AC; got there with 5 miles left. During the limp, I got a message saying Cabin Overheat Protection is now off due to low charge (at 15 miles range). I think the Cabin Overheat Protection was the culprit to the 24-mile range reduction.

I'll have to remember to turn off the cabin overheat protection when running low on range going forward. I think Tesla should turn that off not at 15-mile range but at like 50-mile range, or even better, turn it off if the SC is X-miles away from the current location.
also it sounds as though you were bitten by the range anxiety bug?

i've driven for several miles at 0% a few times and my power has never been reduced until i was around 0-3% and A/C shuts off around 5% like you say, then power slowly starts backing off, even then i was able to maintain 55-60MPH to get me off the highway. then power and top speed got reduced to the point where i could only go maybe 40MPH but still made the charger! the longest i've driven at 0% is 8 miles...

Tesla should turn that off not at 15-mile range but at like 50-mile range, or even better, turn it off if the SC is X-miles away from the current location.

I live and work less than 15 miles from a supercharger and the trip from home to work or work to home is only 15 miles. No matter which of your suggested methods I wouldn't want overheat protection turned off if I had 50 miles range left.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I don't think it's helpful to think of range in terms of "miles" especially for making decisions like this. I do tend to find the estimated charge at destination to be useful (and conservative -- I typically beat it).

I just finished a ~5500 mile road trip. At one point, I charged to ~95% and within a few minutes of driving, I was at 85%. I stayed around 85% for at least a half hour on the interstate. It was a hilly area. At one point, the nearest supercharger was a couple hours drive away from me. It estimated I'd get there at 2%. I got there at like, 4%. :)

i've driven for several miles at 0% a few times and my power has never been reduced until i was around 0-3% and A/C shuts off around 5% like you say, then power slowly starts backing off, even then i was able to maintain 55-60MPH to get me off the highway. then power and top speed got reduced to the point where i could only go maybe 40MPH but still made the charger! the longest i've driven at 0% is 8 miles...
Just because you got lucky doesn’t mean you should recommend it. You’re more likely to get stranded at 0%.

Try to find out the real cause as agree, cabin heat protection is disabled <20% battery left (say above your 40 miles). Had to be another reason... did you say leave climate on when exiting, a door open or something, etc. or something odd. Def check the app next time to see if something is going on.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Haha, 0% several times; a brave man!

It turns off at 20%, which is much higher than the 40 miles you quoted. There must have been some other reason for the loss of range.
doesn't that 20% amount of mileage turn on battery pack size? we've noticed as much as 30 miles loss when there is an update in progress and even before it downloads. I wonder if the same protection works for that comma because we've had the mileage drop in that scenario just 50 miles .... that's pretty close to the 20% mark.

Had my X in Dog Mode last week on a road trip. At 20% I got a notice on my smart phone that the climate control was being discontinued.
Worked great, and dog loves traveling in the deep back well of the X.

Love the fact that I can leave the dog in the back when I am Supercharging and the interior will keep the pooch cool. Allows me go go out for a cup of coffee or bathroom break while the dog stays comfy and cool.

G/F's i3 BMW shuts down while charging. Gotta take the dog with you :(

Just be careful.

I don't know how well this video is made. The thermometers aren't even where the kids sit. They're in full sun while the seats aren't necessarily all of the way in the sun. Also, aren't some S's better equipped with air ventilation? I know our S needs a boost of fans in the back to circulate, so I am sure it is definitely hotter in the back, but I do not think this video accurately portrays the rear temperature in an S.

Happened to me as well when I was 20 miles from an SC on a hot day. It used up my battery until I had 30 miles left instead of 50 which i had calculated. Definitely had range anxiety and I did not anticipate that would happen, which is important because I only have a 60d. I have it turned off now.