Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping cabin cool in summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped the back of the tray down that's under the computer. 1" gap seems to help ventilate, not noticable. 2 very small muffin fans could be velcro-ed on each side.

Couple years ago I saw a guy here in Florida with black duct tape around almost every roof panel seam on his black S.

I have a more basic question: why is cabin overheat protection important? Will the interior get damaged if I don't have this on?
In Phoenix the dash will reach 180 degrees regularly, and my interior just hit 163 degrees. There are many climates where it’s not a necessary feature, but socal, AZ and Texas are a must. No-ac leaves my interior around 125 degrees in direct sunlight. That’s night and day when getting into the car with shorts and touching the seatbelt. In Addition sentry Mode seems to disable about 165 degrees inside.

Yes there is the occasional shaded spot when one is driving about but prepare for a gun battle to get that spot. 😅

Reactions: GasNah
I think there is a limit to what you can limit for heatsoak through glass, I am getting 3m ceramic in my windows etc. next week, and that cuts down radiation and heat transmission, for perceived heat gain to me and my bare skin which is great - but the windows themselves will still be super hot with the thermal conductivity from the ambient air conducting heat through glass (which does this well unless specially designed, which this isnt) - I bought a windscreen shield fold up thing from Amazon, recommend it for when parked..

I wish, very much, that all / any teslas (I hate they started this massive glasshouse thing) had a rolling physical overhead screen like in luxury European SUVs for instance, to introduce a physical barrier. A 40k BMW or Landrover or whatever has this, and nothing like that on my more than double the price X. Tinting just doesnt cut it chaps.. The Rivian is much the same, idiotic idea to have a big glass house without the physical barrier that other brands figured out was helpful decades ago...

Recommend also the aftermarket physical screens. Look janky but make a huge difference (I had this in my Model 3 back in the day, recommend).

Also - forget electrochromic - my bmw iX electrochromic sunroof cuts out perceived heat transmission through from direct sun, but does feck all about the heat soak from high ambient temperatures. Wont be getting one of them again... also the cost if it breaks, makes a Tesla roof look like a happy meal by comparison in cost..

Windshield sunshade did wonders for ours. Irreplaceable.

run COP all day every day? I would never ever accept that level of wear and tear on the AC unit. It may be super reliable, but “do you feel lucky….”

cracked windows, for us, with the sunshade, made a huge difference. i set a Tessie automation to vent mine on a schedule to overcome my wife’s challenge in remembering.

Windshield sunshade did wonders for ours. Irreplaceable.

run COP all day every day? I would never ever accept that level of wear and tear on the AC unit. It may be super reliable, but “do you feel lucky….”
I run Cabin Overheat all the time, set for 100ºF. If I am parked for less than two hours, I'll leave climate running continuously. In the winter, I leave the heat on. Tesla designed their A/C to be run continuously. Far better IMO, than screwing around with a sunshield.

I run Cabin Overheat all the time, set for 100ºF. If I am parked for less than two hours, I'll leave climate running continuously. In the winter, I leave the heat on. Tesla designed their A/C to be run continuously. Far better IMO, than screwing around with a sunshield.

I'm fairly confident that's not a factual statement.

Sure it is. That is exactly what Camp Mode does. Climate is turned on forever, until the battery drops to 20% anyway. I believe there also is 12 hour limit, but I have not run in to that.

Having the ability to leave your AC on doesn't mean that it was designed to be left on indefinitely. At the end of the day it's an off the shelf AC compressor which has a shelf life.

Having the ability to leave your AC on doesn't mean that it was designed to be left on indefinitely. At the end of the day it's an off the shelf AC compressor which has a shelf life.
It sure means that to me. I've had four Tesla vehicles over eight years. I've operated all of them in that manner. Never had an issue with A/C (or heat in winter) with any of them. I really doubt it is an off-the-shelf compressor, after all it is electric and runs from 400 volts DC. I expect it is quite unique to Tesla.

It sure means that to me. I've had four Tesla vehicles over eight years. I've operated all of them in that manner. Never had an issue with A/C (or heat in winter) with any of them. I really doubt it is an off-the-shelf compressor, after all it is electric and runs from 400 volts DC. I expect it is quite unique to Tesla.

You have better luck that most. I've had to swap out two compressors, IIRC they were made by a Korean company. High voltage AC compressors are nothing new.

Experience suggests those that change cars every two years rarely take car of their cars well. you may be an exception, but your statement does nothing to support longevity expectations.

Experience suggests those that change cars every two years rarely take car of their cars well. you may be an exception, but your statement does nothing to support longevity expectations.
I generally try to operate with warranty, so that means roughly four years (I run with two cars). Our model 3 goes naked in a few months, but we plan to keep it. It has been nearly trouble free. My 2018 X OTOH, had tons of service issues over the time I had it. I was stunned to be able to trade it in to Tesla for 80,000, with 50,000 miles on it. So far my 2022 X has been problem free, so I am optimistic.