Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just wondering how exactly does the Cabin Overheat Protection work (i.e., the activation mechanism) in Model X Refresh (2022+).

I noticed in the Tesla app:

- for Model X: it shows "only" the 3 activation temperature settings: 90F, 95F, 100F but there is no mention about "No A/C" option

- for Model Y: it shows ON, No A/C, OFF

Does Cabin Overheat Protection in Model X turn ON the A/C when it's activated?

I often received notification that Cabin Overheat Protection is activated in my Tesla app however the A/C or the vent indicator is never shown as ON in the Tesla app.

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't look like this:

CQgPVFg.jpg

Reactions: BonB
howdy
The Y allows you to choose Just fan or ac
The X for some reason doesn't let you choose with fan and no ac or AC but I still keep it on anyways

I actually have a notification in the app that tells me when its enabled and if I know I need to save battery I can quickly turn it off.

Its good to keep your things from overheating and its an extra safe layer if you have pets or if you left your kid in the car

Reactions: Falcon73 and BonB
howdy
The Y allows you to choose Just fan or ac
The X for some reason doesn't let you choose with fan and no ac or AC but I still keep it on anyways

I actually have a notification in the app that tells me when its enabled and if I know I need to save battery I can quickly turn it off.

Its good to keep your things from overheating and its an extra safe layer if you have pets or if you left your kid in the car
Hi, thank you for your kind and detailed sharing.

For Model X, do you know if the "fan" indicator "turns on" in your Tesla app when the Overheat Protection is ON? Thanks

Reactions: everydaychris
Why, would one use the cabin overheat protection?

Is there an issue leaving a Tesla parked in the sun with the windows rolled up?
nah no issues. its more made if you have something you dont want to get too hot it will keep temps cooler. I had polarized expensive sunglasses and in 110 degree weather it cracked. IF i had cabin overheat it prob wouldn't have happened

LOL! I won't leave my phone in the car anywhere, since it's the key to the car. Mirrors not folded = phone left in car.

Last time you see your Tesla will be tail lights driving away.
From my signature, you can see I drive a Tesla that doesn't have a phone as a key ... :)

If the dash gets ~157F, imagine what the computer circuit board, etc get on the underside enclosed area gets. I think "automotive" level electronics are supposed to handle high heat (cycles) but I'm very happy to have Cabin Overheat Protection working. A/C in electric vehicles are very efficient in my experience.

yes, the fan indicator turns on because the climate is now on
Sorry can I clarify, several model X that I have driven did not show any “air movement” or “fan on” (like in the case if you were to manually turn on the A/C or the fan as shown in the enclosed images) when the Cabin Overheat Protection is “activated”.

I only see the notification that the Cabin Overheat Protection is “activated” in my app but no signs of any “air movement” or the “fan is on” in the app.

I am not sure about Model 3 or Y but the above is for Model X.

Can you please confirm if you indeed noticed “air movement” in the app? Thanks

8c2bea7f-3627-48f9-91ef-990dcf2a79a9.jpeg

Attachments

• cd65d21e-6b19-4751-864b-550f4e7d9e73.jpeg
    cd65d21e-6b19-4751-864b-550f4e7d9e73.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 38
Hi,

Just wondering how exactly does the Cabin Overheat Protection work (i.e., the activation mechanism) in Model X Refresh (2022+).

I noticed in the Tesla app:

- for Model X: it shows "only" the 3 activation temperature settings: 90F, 95F, 100F but there is no mention about "No A/C" option

- for Model Y: it shows ON, No A/C, OFF

Does Cabin Overheat Protection in Model X turn ON the A/C when it's activated?

I often received notification that Cabin Overheat Protection is activated in my Tesla app however the A/C or the vent indicator is never shown as ON in the Tesla app.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2023 MY and I live in the desert where today it was 112°. My car was at the shop having some tire work done. They texted me to say the car was ready. I checked the app and it said it was 131° inside… The app also said overheat protection was on and set to 95°. It never came on and they had just moved it 30 minutes before. It never works. Living in the desert I was really looking forward to this feature. Turns out it’s just another Tesla over-promised under-deliver.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
In Phoenix two days ago my interior was 163 degrees and I only noticed because the sentry mode kept kicking off. I use no-AC cabin overheat protection and it stays about 125 degrees which is tropical paradise compared to anything that the sun touches (cement is 215 degrees).

It isn’t all a loss though because I don’t need to pre-cool the car very long now (2-3 minutes) as opposed to 10+.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
I have a 2023 MY and I live in the desert where today it was 112°. My car was at the shop having some tire work done. They texted me to say the car was ready. I checked the app and it said it was 131° inside… The app also said overheat protection was on and set to 95°. It never came on and they had just moved it 30 minutes before. It never works. Living in the desert I was really looking forward to this feature. Turns out it’s just another Tesla over-promised under-deliver.
Thanks for sharing.

In Phoenix two days ago my interior was 163 degrees and I only noticed because the sentry mode kept kicking off. I use no-AC cabin overheat protection and it stays about 125 degrees which is tropical paradise compared to anything that the sun touches (cement is 215 degrees).

It isn’t all a loss though because I don’t need to pre-cool the car very long now (2-3 minutes) as opposed to 10+.
The real issue I'm having is with Cabin Overheat Protection on today 109 degrees currently in Barstow, CA is that it utilized 10% of battery % over 3-4hrs while sitting parked in a secure parking lot with the windows in "vent" mode.

How hot has any "Desert Southwest" owners let their interiors reach.

Does not using "COP" void any part of the warranty?