Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin temperature when parked/Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't even been losing 1% a day using Cabin Overheat (with A/C). My car has been sat on 39% since 09/08, so in that respect it is definitely worth it to me to have it running, even if the internals can probably handle higher temperatures.

Is your car actually waking up to run the overheat protection?

I've lost track of software versions and what features of cabin overheat protections works when and with what, but I still have a TeslaFi wakeup scheduled for 1030 because overheat protection stopped working if car was initially sleeping.

I’m a bit confused now. I thought the overheat protection only worked for 12 hours after you leave the car? At least that’s what it says on the screen when I switch it on.

Also, am I right in thinking that you can only switch it on in the car and not through the app?

Is your car actually waking up to run the overheat protection?

I've lost track of software versions and what features of cabin overheat protections works when and with what, but I still have a TeslaFi wakeup scheduled for 1030 because overheat protection stopped working if car was initially sleeping.
It is, or at least it did yesterday and the day before.

I’m a bit confused now. I thought the overheat protection only worked for 12 hours after you leave the car? At least that’s what it says on the screen when I switch it on.

Also, am I right in thinking that you can only switch it on in the car and not through the app?
You're correct. The last couple of days I've been opening the door on the car in the morning, waiting a few seconds for the screen to wake up, and then closing it again and walking away. That effectively counts as a "drive" as far as this feature goes, and restarts the 12 hour timer.

The times I have forgot to open the door it hasn't woken itself up in the afternoon to cool down, which would suggest that the 12 hour limitation does still exist.

You can't change the setting from the app, no.

You're correct. The last couple of days I've been opening the door on the car in the morning, waiting a few seconds for the screen to wake up, and then closing it again and walking away. That effectively counts as a "drive" as far as this feature goes, and restarts the 12 hour timer.

The times I have forgot to open the door it hasn't woken itself up in the afternoon to cool down, which would suggest that the 12 hour limitation does still exist.

Thank you! That explains why some days my Cabin Overheat Protection failed to keep the temps below 105°F. So, Cabin Overheat protection is useless for a long term parking lot as there is no way to reset the timer, right? I wonder if using the app to turn on climate control is a better way for long term parking.

So, Cabin Overheat protection is useless for a long term parking lot as there is no way to reset the timer, right?

I have a 1030 TeslaFi wakeup that runs every day. If its hot enough inside to trigger cabin overheat protection, ie >= ~36C before he car goes back to sleep, its going to keep it running until it cools down enough for it to stop.

Its not perfect, but catches the majority of occurrences. Nothing to schedule others at different times too. One around 1700 would be useful on occasions. Or probably keep the car awake by leaving it on sentry etc.

Thank you! That explains why some days my Cabin Overheat Protection failed to keep the temps below 105°F. So, Cabin Overheat protection is useless for a long term parking lot as there is no way to reset the timer, right? I wonder if using the app to turn on climate control is a better way for long term parking.
It might be possible to reset the timer by walking the car up from the app. I’ve tried this before but not been totally confident that it’s worked, though.

But no, it’s not a fully hands of solution, it seems like it’s designed around people using their cars every day, and coming back to a comfortable car after a day out.

Waking the car up is easy enough to do with the app as long as you have connection. Plus you know if it is working because the app tells you the inside temperature.

This week I have my MS in the shop to have a frontal wrap and Ceramic Paint Protection applied. Been there since Monday. There appears to be some dead spots inside their shop because I can see them moving the car around and when they open the trunk etc. But one spot they park, I lose connection until they move the car.

Just for fun I turned on sentry mode to see what gets recorded. May not record anything if they have the key FOB near by. This car sure isn't perfect but its the most fun car I've ever owned.

I call BS on this report. There is no way hand sanitizer left inside a glove box will spontaneously explode due to a car being parked outside in the sun. The source of the photo is listed as Facebook. There's your BS source.

Isopropyl alcohol, the main constituent of hand sanitisers, has a flash point of only 12C. That means that at 12C the vapour coming from it will support combustion, so long as air and an ignition source of sufficient energy is present. Any colder and there’s not enough vapour to burn. Compare to petrol, which will ignite in the presence of an ignition source down to around -40C,

At 60C, the temperature I recorded in my car yesterday, the Ignition energy required to combust the vapour coming from the bottle of alcohol is exactly the same as it is at 12C, there’s just a lot more vapour. Bear in mind that alcohol boils at around 82C, at which point it becomes 100% combustible vapour. In between 12 and 82C, you just get an increasing volume of combustible material to ignite. The greater volume means more flammable material in the air, and so much more chance of actually finding an ignition source.

To ignite alcohol, you only need a spark with of around 0.65mJ of energy. To put this into context, Compare again to petrol which requires just under half this energy to combust, so relatively speaking, alcohol is rather safer.

Relatively...

On a warm dry day with little humidity, a human body can accumulate quite a bit of static charge. It depends on the voltage and the person, but you could very easily store enough to deliver 0.65mJ. In fact you could store much much more than that amount. A metallic object like a car, sitting as it does on four very nice Michelin insulators, might develop a charge of hundreds of times more. And that’s just static electricity. Most car interiors are littered with clattering relays, coils, Switch contacts, motor brushes and all manner of other ignition sources in their electrical systems. Any one of these might provide sufficient energy to cause combustion.

In terms of explosive capability, Like all fuels you need a ‘goldilocks’ mix of alcohol vapour to air to support combustion. To little alcohol vapour and it won’t burn as there’s not enough fuel, to much and there’s not enough oxygen. Alcohol will form an explosive mixture between 2 and 12% volume in air.

You might think it’s BS, But I think there be something here worth considering. Certainly I’d be wary of powering up a hot car with its foot wells full of alcohol vapour, just ready and waiting to be set off by a locking solenoid or the brushes of a heater fan. This is after all just physics and chemistry, the same physics and chemistry that actually drives most cars, so it’s not as if this isn’t a proven concept.

Reactions: Bigknd
I wouldn't call cabin overheat protection comfortable.. If you want that turn on AC before coming back to the car.

It's just about 'not hot enough to actually kill you' which is why the temperature is what it is.
Maybe comfortable was the wrong word, but it takes less time to go from 40C to whatever you want the temperature to be when you're driving vs 60C where you're burning yourself on surfaces.

What would be nice is if Tesla would do a software update allowing us to record sentry with the app. Maybe when 5G is everywhere it can send the recordings live back to the phone.

As far as someone pulling the USB stick, well there is always a way around that. :)
Agree with that.

Thought it could be something to help justify the cost of the Premium Connectivity. Store the Sentry clips online so no need for a thumb drive/ssd and allow viewing of the clips (and live feed) via the app.