Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cable advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the best way to get minimum 7.5m 32a commando to type 2 as can’t find any leads out there or adapters!
I’m in the uk. Also I don’t have the gen 2 cable as they ran out!
Wait...what? You don't have a mobile charge cable at ALL? Every new Tesla car comes with one at delivery. Were they literally out of them and your new car did not come with one?

I think I see what you are asking for now, and it's not something you can do. You want a direct cable from the blue commando to a Type2 Mennekes plug that goes into the charge port. You can't do that. For any AC charging directly from an outlet, the car will need what is called an EVSE in line with that. That is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. The tesla wall connectors or mobile connectors are that, or in your city where they have the charging stations where you park, those have the EVSE equipment inside them, and you plug a cable that is Type2 on both ends to get that to the car's charging port. The EVSE has the electronics to communicate with the car and announce how many amps are available and check for connection before flowing energy, etc. You will need that mobile connector and the proper adapter to plug into that outlet.

Did you really look through your car in the front and back trunk areas to see if the bag with that charging cable is in there?

Hi. Makes total sense. Yes. The first batch of uk model 3s were supplied without the umc! It’s been 3 months and we still don’t have it!
Wow--that's terrible! You can certainly get any other kind of EVSE charging cable that has the Type 2 cable on it, but they are going to go for at least a few hundred U.S. dollars, and I don't know if you want to spend that kind of money for something temporary.
Here's a listing on Ebay, for instance, of someone selling a Type 2 EVSE that originally came with a BMW i3, and it's listed for $350.
For EUROPE Mennekes TYPE 2 LEVEL 2 220volt 240volt 12Amp EV CHARGER BMW i3 i5 i8 | eBay

The Tesla ones are nice with being able to swap the adapter plugs, so you can use it on a lot of outlet types, and it usually is a little cheaper than most other brands, too.

I have a question that's a slight variation of the one the OP asked: I am about to move into a new apartment where a 16A, 5-pin, 3-phase, red 'commando' socket is to be installed at my designated parking space. Does anyone know if there is an adapter I can use to plug a UMC into this socket to in order charge my partner's Model 3 (and mine when I eventually get one...)? I checked the EVSE site and they don't seem to sell one.

I live in Switzerland and only the 3-pin blue commando plug is supplied with the UMC.

I have a question that's a slight variation of the one the OP asked: I am about to move into a new apartment where a 16A, 5-pin, 3-phase, red 'commando' socket is to be installed at my designated parking space. Does anyone know if there is an adapter I can use to plug a UMC into this socket to in order charge my partner's Model 3 (and mine when I eventually get one...)? I checked the EVSE site and they don't seem to sell one.

I live in Switzerland and only the 3-pin blue commando plug is supplied with the UMC.
Well, that's a complicated one, as I am finding out. From reading up on this, apparently the 1st generation Tesla mobile connector could do either single phase or three phase, and so they sold a red commando 3 phase adapter for the 1st generation mobile connector.

With the 2nd generation mobile connector, it is single phase only, so they don't sell an adapter for the 5 pin red commando. Here's a thread with some information about this kind of thing:

Question on Mobile Connector and 32A Commando socket

Tesla Mobile Connector (sometimes referred to as a UMC / Universal Mobile Connector) Explained including Gen 1 & Gen 2 differences

However, some sites, like this one, sell adapters that can plug a 2nd generation mobile cable into a red commando. But they are just simply taking one phase from that outlet, since that's all the 2nd generation mobile cable can use. So it gets about 3.7 kW of power from that.

Standard Blue 16A Red adaptor - Xavelec

There are also other companies that make different EVSE charge cables that are not from Tesla, such as the German made Juice Booster. And they can use real 3 phase electricity from red commando outlets, but they are very expensive, like 1,000 Euros.

http://teslapedia.org/model-s/tesla-driver/mobile-charging-cable-options/

That's about all the information I've got on this, since I'm in the U.S., so I'm not as familiar with the resources to use for these kinds of European outlets. I would recommend reading and maybe asking in the European regional sections of this forum.

Well, that's a complicated one, as I am finding out. From reading up on this, apparently the 1st generation Tesla mobile connector could do either single phase or three phase, and so they sold a red commando 3 phase adapter for the 1st generation mobile connector.

With the 2nd generation mobile connector, it is single phase only, so they don't sell an adapter for the 5 pin red commando. Here's a thread with some information about this kind of thing:

Question on Mobile Connector and 32A Commando socket

Tesla Mobile Connector (sometimes referred to as a UMC / Universal Mobile Connector) Explained including Gen 1 & Gen 2 differences

However, some sites, like this one, sell adapters that can plug a 2nd generation mobile cable into a red commando. But they are just simply taking one phase from that outlet, since that's all the 2nd generation mobile cable can use. So it gets about 3.7 kW of power from that.

Standard Blue 16A Red adaptor - Xavelec

There are also other companies that make different EVSE charge cables that are not from Tesla, such as the German made Juice Booster. And they can use real 3 phase electricity from red commando outlets, but they are very expensive, like 1,000 Euros.

http://teslapedia.org/model-s/tesla-driver/mobile-charging-cable-options/

That's about all the information I've got on this, since I'm in the U.S., so I'm not as familiar with the resources to use for these kinds of European outlets. I would recommend reading and maybe asking in the European regional sections of this forum.

Thanks for that. It sounds like an adaptor is the way to go but that Juice Booster sounds tempting - especially as it works out cheaper than buying a home-charger and getting an electrician in to install it (you really don't want to know what Swiss electricians charge...)

Thanks for that. It sounds like an adaptor is the way to go but that Juice Booster sounds tempting - especially as it works out cheaper than buying a home-charger and getting an electrician in to install it (you really don't want to know what Swiss electricians charge...)
Yes, the Juice Booster looks great. I remember seeing Tesla owner Bjorn Nyland in Norway had done a review from testing it out. Here it is--about 10 minutes long.