Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 240v outlet pulling 0 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that's true. I've seen many many many reports over the years of Tesla service centers testing people's UMCs on 14-50 outlets at the service center. Since that was the most common method for people charging at home for many years, it made sense for them to make sure to have at least one 14-50 outlet available at every service center to use for basic troubleshooting. So yes, it seems pretty common for them to have one for testing.

It would be pretty easy for them to have a 14-50 on the wall, plus ordinary adapters from that to all of the various receptacle types that the mobile connector can plug into. It's what I would do.

Took the "new" UMC to the alternate location (tested 2 separate outlets) and showed the typical 0/0amps. Same at the house

Shot the outlet at the house again and reads as follows (dryer is running, so a bit of a voltage drop):

L1 - G = 121.5v / OLΩ
L1 - N = 121.3v / OLΩ
L2 - G = 120.1v / OLΩ
L2 - N = 119.9v / OLΩ
L1 - L2 = 241.9v / OLΩ
G - N = .035v / 0.0Ω
It has to be asked again, but did they give you a new 14-50 adapter also? In the other case, that was the issue. Everything else was just going in circles, since neither the UMC nor the car was the issue.

Last edited:
It has to be asked again, but did they give you a new 14-5 adapter also? In the other case, that was the issue. Everything else was just going in circles, since neither the UMC nor the car was the issue.
Yes, originally I purchased a new UMC through Tesla's website, which would not charge via 14-50. Then the service center replaced both the UMC and adapter. When that one didn't work, a new UMC and adapter were given as well.

I found my way here trying to troubleshoot the same problem as OP. I had a 15-40 outlet installed today, the electrician showed 120 on both sides of the outlet and all looked good but when I used it I was getting the same thing as OP. Streaming green lights, no red lights and the app would show 244V but 0 everything else and 5A was the only amperage option. Yet when I plugged into a normal outlet, everything worked fine (albeit slow). Fortunately thanks to a cancellation (or lack thereof) error I have two mobile connectors on hand so figured it wouldn't hurt to switch out 14-50 adapters and see if that made a difference. Sure enough, just like OP, as soon as I did that everything started working as expected. Now I'm seeing 7kW +2 kWh 32/32A 243V and 32A

Anyway since this thread helped me, figured I would register (this is literally my first post haha) and share my experience as well. So add a second checkmark to the bad 14-50 adapter column.

Y’all twisted my arm. 😂

So here’s my plan. I’m semi giving up on my situation by ordering a wall connector, I will order another UMC adapter and see if it works. If it does, great, I’d have multiple charging options and one that can stay with the vehicle.

If the electric setup at my house can’t support the wall connector, then it will be returned and we’ll start going down other routes to figure this out.

I have a feeling it’s something to do with the power being delivered, or my adapter (although it has been swapped). If the HPWC works in the garage, home charging is solved with a faster solution, opening up the 120v serve as backup.

Reactions: father_of_6
If the electric setup at my house can’t support the wall connector, then it will be returned and we’ll start going down other routes to figure this out.
It will definitely support it, so you don't need to worry about returning it.

The wall connector doesn't require a 60A circuit. It is a configurable device. It can be set to use various levels of circuits as low as 15A. Since you are already using a 50A circuit for the outlet, it can definitely be mounted on that circuit instead of the outlet if you want.

• Informative
Reactions: davewill and mongo
I got a Model 3 March 20th. I installed my own 14-50 adaptor right next to my breaker box and encountered the exact same issue, charge showing ~245V but 0 current, no errors and the car thought it was charging just fine. I ordered a 25ft RV cable and a knock-off 14-50 adapter off Amazon so I could test power from my stove to rule out the newly installed outlet, charging on 110V until I got them today. It turns out the problem (for me) is the new 14-50 Adapter sent by Tesla in my Gen 2 Charger kit, I swapped in the chinese knock off and it jumped to 240V 32A and is charging away. Hope this helps someone.

Yea. The last 3 I’ve had were bad. Getting a new on next week and might just order one on Amazon.

Update: Ordered HPWC and adapter. Delivery next Wednesday or so.

If these work, I’m gonna try and warranty all the broken stuff and demanding a refund from the original one I ordered.

Yea. The last 3 I’ve had were bad. Getting a new on next week and might just order one on Amazon.

Update: Ordered HPWC and adapter. Delivery next Wednesday or so.

If these work, I’m gonna try and warranty all the broken stuff and demanding a refund from the original one I ordered.
Please update once you get a new adapter. I’m currently in the same boat, seems like what @Rocky_H is correct - it might be a bad batch since I received my mobile connector yesterday and the 14-50 adapter is pulling 0 amps.

Please update once you get a new adapter. I’m currently in the same boat, seems like what @Rocky_H is correct - it might be a bad batch since I received my mobile connector yesterday and the 14-50 adapter is pulling 0 amps.
Sorry - didn’t see that you ordered a HPWC instead - ignore my message. I’ll update this thread once I get my adapter replaced, and how testing goes at the service center.

It may just be a faulty adapter.

Hello,

I had an electrician friend come today and install a new 240v outlet in my garage. I went with him to Home Depot to purchase the supplies. We purchased some 6-3 wire, a 50a outlet, and a 50a two-pole breaker.

After everything was set up and he left, I plugged in my mobile charge cable and while the car shows that it is getting 240v, it is pulling 0 amps, no matter what I set the amperage to on the GUI. It also shows “Max 5A” underneath the amperage, even though it will let me set that as high as 32a.

My friend said that he will come back tomorrow to check all the connections and test the outlet, but I was wondering if anyone here might have some helpful insight.

Thanks for reading!
Wow OP you chose to use the cheap Leviton 50A outlet from Home Depot instead of the Hubbell 50A industrial outlet for extra safety?

*****RESOLVED*****

Got my new adaptor earlier than expected.

Plugged her into the charger the SC warranty repaired and boom… it worked. Tried it with the original UMC (the one that came with my used 21 M3SRP delivered 1Mar) and it charged as well. Posting serial numbers to show which ones were faulty and which serial number is working.

Anyone else want to post their adapter serial number to get an idea of which lots are affected?

I also got SW update 2023.44.30.25 with FSD v12.3 which I’m pumped for. I doubt this had anything to do with it since the previous faulty adapters still do not work.

NA 14-50 Adapter
P/N: 1099344-10-D

S/N:
Works: DA2221592755730
Faulty: DA22331900044J
Faulty: DA2269200001FQ

Odd thing is, the one that works is the oldest serial number. I’m not sure how their adapter serial number is coded, though.

*****RESOLVED*****

Plugged her into the charger the SC warranty repaired and boom… it worked. Tried it with the original UMC (the one that came with my used 21 M3SRP delivered 1Mar) and it charged as well. Posting serial numbers to show which ones were faulty and which serial number is working.

Anyone else want to post their adapter serial number to get an idea of which lots are affected?

I also got SW update 2023.44.30.25 with FSD v12.3 which I’m pumped for. I doubt this had anything to do with it since the previous faulty adapters still do not work.

NA 14-50 Adapter

S/N:

Odd thing is, the one that works is the oldest serial number. I’m not sure how their adapter serial number is coded, though.
I visited the service center today to test my current MC and they said it was a faulty nema 14-50 adapter. They gave me a new one and it worked aswell.

I think it’s safe to say that anyone having this problem just needs to replace their nema 14-50 adapters.

Thanks for the update!

*****RESOLVED*****

NA 14-50 Adapter

S/N:

Hummm.... serial numbers on the 1st and 3rd look off based on
Model Y Service Manual | Tesla
Site year day sequence
Works: DA2 22 159 275573 0
Faulty: DA2 23 319 00044J
Faulty: DA2 26 920 0001FQ

So, yeah, when I first saw those numbers, I thought that, too, until that 2026 number and the day 920 popped up.
Hummm.... serial numbers on the 1st and 3rd look off based on
Model Y Service Manual | Tesla
Site year day sequence
Works: DA2 22 159 275573 0
Faulty: DA2 23 319 00044J
Faulty: DA2 26 920 0001FQ
No idea how the making convention works for their adapter serial number.

Will start a new ticket with Tesla and try and return the charger that I bought purchased.