Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cable tying aero wheel covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't panic, I'm not thinking of visibly cable tying them!

The plan is to glue re-usable cable ties inside the cover, reach in through hole in cover, wrap around alloys and fasten tight. Maybe in 3-4 locations.

This should hopefully reduce opportunist theft and stop them coming off from bumps in the road etc.

Does anyone know the type of plastic used for the covers? As it will affect which glue I should use. There may be a plastic recycling mark on the inside which would give a clue. I don't have my car yet so can't start working on my plan!

I'm not sure if I'm sufficiently motivated to mod my wheel covers, but I will say that when I lost one driving through a puddle, it was more of a PIA than I expected to get a replacement. This is because we can neither communicate with a human being in Tesla Parts nor order parts directly online.

Would you strap them down and tighten them from the inside-facing side of the wheel? Then clip them when rotating tires, etc.? I did eventually gather up the one I lost after someone drove over it. It says ">PPE+PA<", which I gather means it's made of Polyphenylene Ether + Polyamide (Nylon).

• Love
Reactions: sofarso
Much to my surprise, I had all 4 of my wheel covers stolen last night. Not a huge deal since it's only $100 USD to replace all 4 of them. But still has me thinking about possible theft deterrents, which led me to this thread.

So I'm wondering... Has anyone come up with any simple/clever theft deterrent?

The OP's idea of gluing multiple tie straps onto the inside of the covers and then reaching in through the gaps to tighten them to the wheel sounds a bit involved. And I'm guessing the approach of looping a tie strap out around the cover wouldn't look great, particularly when contrasted against the light grey portion of the cover. (And, of course, the exposed tie strap could be easily defeated by simply cutting it, but at least it would slow down a potential thief and require them to have a tool on-hand to cut them.)

But I'm thinking maybe a small hole strategically drilled along the border between the light grey and dark grey portions would make it possible to add a black tie strap without it being very noticeable visibly? Might look something like this...

1629530640096.png

Or curious if there's any other approach anyone might have tried?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Much to my surprise, I had all 4 of my wheel covers stolen last night. Not a huge deal since it's only $100 USD to replace all 4 of them. But still has me thinking about possible theft deterrents, which led me to this thread.

So I'm wondering... Has anyone come up with any simple/clever theft deterrent?

The OP's idea of gluing multiple tie straps onto the inside of the covers and then reaching in through the gaps to tighten them to the wheel sounds a bit involved. And I'm guessing the approach of looping a tie strap out around the cover wouldn't look great, particularly when contrasted against the light grey portion of the cover. (And, of course, the exposed tie strap could be easily defeated by simply cutting it, but at least it would slow down a potential thief and require them to have a tool on-hand to cut them.)

But I'm thinking maybe a small hole strategically drilled along the border between the light grey and dark grey portions would make it possible to add a black tie strap without it being very noticeable visibly? Might look something like this...

View attachment 699402

Or curious if there's any other approach anyone might have tried?
Seems to me that if someone really wanted to steal your aeros with a cable tie, they could easily cut the cable ties and make of with your covers. I wonder if the idiots who do this own a Tesla or think they can somehow attach them to different wheels.

Even a simple and easily defeated extra step is often enough to deter the ne'er-do-well scumbags that steal wheel covers. I would recommend using cable ties, preferably in black (Harbor Freight?) to secure them a bit from the jerks.

Another option: just go with the Tesla kit to cover the wheel lug nuts and center caps below. Not much to steal there!

Here's one version for $37:

These wheel covers are $90 each? Holy cow!

And here's Tesla's official version of the removal kit; cleaner look, and better aerodynamics:

Another option: just go with the Tesla kit to cover the wheel lug nuts and center caps below. Not much to steal there!

Sure, but I want the covers for their aerodynamic efficiency benefits.

And here's Tesla's official version of the removal kit; cleaner look, and better aerodynamics:

I can't imagine that small center cap improving the aerodynamics anywhere near as much as the full aero covers.

As mentioned above, the aero covers are only $25 a piece from Tesla. I hope no one is foolish enough to pay $90 to those scamsters.

Seems to me that if someone really wanted to steal your aeros with a cable tie, they could easily cut the cable ties and make of with your covers.

Agreed. But since virtually no other Tesla on the road would have tie straps installed and the tie straps wouldn't be very visible at night (when such a theft is likely to occur), odds are they would try taking off one cover, fail due to the tie strap, and then quickly abort.

If they're determined enough to come back with a knife or wire cutters and cut the tie straps, more power to them. But it would take a lot longer and therefore make the risk a lot higher, all for a pretty low-value loot.

I had mine stolen in a pretty high traffic area, so I'm 95% sure that tie straps would've been sufficient to prevent the theft.

I got my new wheel covers today, and I was all set to drill a small hole to test out the tie strap theft-deterrent idea that I mentioned in post #8.

But then I realized I could use the existing holes around the center cap to accomplish the same goal. So I gave that a try, and I think it works quite well. You can see in the photo below that the tie strap is quite well hidden in this spot.

It requires a pretty long tie strap to reach all the way around the spokes (I used a 14-incher) and it's a tad difficult to fish it back around the spokes, but I think the result is good. If I decide to keep it, I'll just have to make sure I add a pair of cutting pliers to the emergency kit in my sub-trunk.

I'll check tomorrow to see if it visually stands out more in full daylight, but I'd say it blends in pretty well under my garage lights:

1629867735170.png

Last edited:
I must say the cable ties are a very good idea indeed. It makes switching out wheels twice a year (for those who travel in snowy areas) more of a challenge, but $100 will buy a lot of 14 inch cable ties. In your photo, I cannot see the cable tie at all. Where is it please? I see the one indicated by the blue arrow in another photo, but not in the one you posted 24 August 2021. A brightly colored cable tie might be a better choice if the goal is to discourage theft.

The other idea I had for avoiding a third theft was to paint ugly paint with a crummy old brush on them, making them esthetically undesirable to most Tesla owners. I don't care that much what a car looks like if it functions well, but that puts me in a very small minority of Tesla owners.

Last edited:
Great. I bought red 14 inch nylon wire ties. I want them to stand out, not be self-effacing. I want it to be easy for a putative thief to understand why they won't come off. Also, red matches the paint on my car.