Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabling for HPWC Install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes what I was trying to say, somewhat poorly, is that connecting a 3 phase hpwc to an older car with a single charger only charges at single phase rate, so it might as well be wired that way. New cars are all setup to optimise the 3 phase hpwc.
During my model S changeover I recieved a new 3 phase hpwc which I installed immediately. It was still charged my older model S at 40a. When the new model s arrived it charged it 3 phase, although I havnt turned it up to full speed yet.
I have no experience with a dual charger in an older model s.

Yes what I was trying to say, somewhat poorly, is that connecting a 3 phase hpwc to an older car with a single charger only charges at single phase rate, so it might as well be wired that way. New cars are all setup to optimise the 3 phase hpwc.
During my model S changeover I recieved a new 3 phase hpwc which I installed immediately. It was still charged my older model S at 40a. When the new model s arrived it charged it 3 phase, although I havnt turned it up to full speed yet.
I have no experience with a dual charger in an older model s.

This does not makes sense. The new chargers only support 32A max on any phase. Older cars can support up to 16A 3ø with a single charger AFAIK - otherwise destination chargers would be a problem.

This does not makes sense. The new chargers only support 32A max on any phase. Older cars can support up to 16A 3ø with a single charger AFAIK - otherwise destination chargers would be a problem.
Yes but the charge rate in an older car doesnt change either way, so getting back to the original question, if you have an older car with only 1 charger built in, there is no gain in paying extra to wire in a 3 phase hpwc. If you have a new car, there is a big gain in wiring your hpwc as 3 phase. Ultimately the best resource is to call tesla and they will tell you the most advantageous way to wire your hpwc for your particular car.

Yes but the charge rate in an older car doesnt change either way, so getting back to the original question, if you have an older car with only 1 charger built in, there is no gain in paying extra to wire in a 3 phase hpwc. If you have a new car, there is a big gain in wiring your hpwc as 3 phase. Ultimately the best resource is to call tesla and they will tell you the most advantageous way to wire your hpwc for your particular car.
OK - but depending on the phase loading on your property you may want/need to use 3ø. FWIW I have mine on a single 32A circuit as I don’t have 3ø at the house. Agreed that it isn’t really worth the faster charge rates at home since you generally have all night.

My original point was that you might want to have 32A wiring for each phase that you connect rather than 24A.

I actually have both, with a single phase at one place and a 3 phase at another.
The single can do 1 x 40A, and the 3 phase can do 3 x 32A.
My car has the crappy charger than can only do 3 x 16A, so my charge speed is similar in both locations (40A vs 48A, about 10 vs 12kW).
The newer cars can do 3 x 24A, and the old dual charger cars can do 3 x 32A.
All cars can do max 1 x 40A on a single phase unit.

Reactions: Mark E