Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jbruce, to be honest, the sticker, even the small one, placed high and centered like that looks even more prominent and ugly to me. I placed all three of my stickers (atop paint protection film strips) on the requisite locations and they don't look too bad on my green. Pics posted up thread. Out on the road, I don't even notice the stickers on other Model S that are sporting them. As for those who choose not to put them on at all, I say a prayer for them as I whiz by while they are stuck in the slow lanes. The stickers are sort of badges of honor.

Does anyone have a clever way of mounting the California Clean Air Vehicle / HOV lane stickers on their Model S? They are really ugly and I'd like to mount them as unobtrusively as possible. This older thread from Tesla Roadster owners, seems to suggest you only need one sticker and that the placement of other stickers is "suggested." Clean Air Vehicle stickers - Page 18

I'm thinking of just putting one small sticker next to my rear license plate. If that area is good enough for the cops to see my plate, it should be ideal for them to see the sticker?

Maybe I could have a custom plate holder made that would accept the sticker, like these badge holders that attach to plates.
Amazon.com: Outmotoring Double Badge Holder: Automotive
http://www.minimania.com/part/G2NMA4580-P/Gobadge-License-Frame-Dual-Badge-Holder-System
license plate and car badge
smart car License Plate Badge Holder - Single Side Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories

If you have a cleaver solution for the stickers, I would like to see photos. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

My thread just got moved here from the Model S Exterior forum. I was hoping to create a photo thread of Model S sticker placement. Do we want to turn this into a photo thread?

That's a great idea, but those don't appear to be wide enough to put even the smallest sticker on. I guess you could always modify one of them to make it wider. Either way, that's the nearest I've seen to a solution I like.

51kyjGotzmL._SX425_.jpg

That's a great idea, but those don't appear to be wide enough to put even the smallest sticker on. I guess you could always modify one of them to make it wider. Either way, that's the nearest I've seen to a solution I like.

View attachment 42173

Yes, I may have to make a custom one with a shape to fit the sticker instead of the round badges in the photo above. Its a pretty simple part to make if you have access to CAD and metal working tools or a water jet cutter. In my younger days I worked at a design firm where I would have been able to make this in the shop quickly. Now I run a software company so I don't have access to shop and tools. Maybe I can find someone to fab one.

Yes, I may have to make a custom one with a shape to fit the sticker instead of the round badges in the photo above. Its a pretty simple part to make if you have access to CAD and metal working tools or a water jet cutter. In my younger days I worked at a design firm where I would have been able to make this in the shop quickly. Now I run a software company so I don't have access to shop and tools. Maybe I can find someone to fab one.

I'd be in to buy one if you can source it. :smile:

I like the idea, but since it's removable (and therefor possibly transferable), I don't think it's going to be accepted.

The bumper cover and plastic undertray that many people put stickers on is also removable. License plates are removable but supposed to stay on the car. The DMV does not make you put a sticker of your license plate on the car.

True, but they are very protective of the sticker. If you need a replacement, you even have to send in the broken pieces of the old one you pealed off you car.

I like the idea, but since it's removable (and therefor possibly transferable), I don't think it's going to be accepted.
It would be a whole lot more legal than leaving it in the Glove Box, which is what I'm doing now. I figured I'd sacrifice one of my Stickers just to see if it flies. The only downside I can see if that some over zealous CHP may decide to pull you over just to let you know that it wasn't an acceptable way to apply the Stickers. I'd like to think they have better things to do than that though. If someone comes up with an Adapter, I'd certainly go for it.

It would be a whole lot more legal than leaving it in the Glove Box, which is what I'm doing now. I figured I'd sacrifice one of my Stickers just to see if it flies. The only downside I can see if that some over zealous CHP may decide to pull you over just to let you know that it wasn't an acceptable way to apply the Stickers. I'd like to think they have better things to do than that though. If someone comes up with an Adapter, I'd certainly go for it.

It's definitely better than not having anything. I really wish they just had special EV plates, and skipped the whole multipl bumper sticker thing.

On the plus side, at least we don't have to put on four ugly bright green stickers like the hybrids...

I'd be in to buy one if you can source it. :smile:

I wonder if anyone out there making Tesla accessories wants to have them made. I'd love to do this but I'm really busy and the last thing I need is another project.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought is to do a frame that mimics the shape of the long Euro plates and leaves room on the side for the sticker. In Asia many people use plate frames to make their narrow plates look like wide euro plates. Like this. A bit wider and you could place the sticker.

2012-12-31 12.55.00.jpg

View attachment 30003

Just as a reference point, I mounted my white CA HOV stickers on the black skirt (see photo). IMHO they are reasonably unobtrusive and still 'street legal' even though they are not on the painted bumper or fenders. They are a badge of honor (..and envy as I zip down the carpool lane in rush hour).
I'm considering mounting my Florida HOV sticker on the black skirt like JPP did, but I noticed that this "flat" black finish is much softer than the glossy paint, so I'm wondering if anyone has removed any long baked-on stickers from this finish and if that removal has left any damage from the adhesive and/or fingernail scraping? I did a test underneath and found that I can easily scratch it with my fingernail.

Just in case it's not obvious from my over-sensitivity, my P85 and I are still on our honeymoon.

I'm considering mounting my Florida HOV sticker on the black skirt like JPP did, but I noticed that this "flat" black finish is much softer than the glossy paint, so I'm wondering if anyone has removed any long baked-on stickers from this finish and if that removal has left any damage from the adhesive and/or fingernail scraping? I did a test underneath and found that I can easily scratch it with my fingernail.

Just in case it's not obvious from my over-sensitivity, my P85 and I are still on our honeymoon.

I just went ahead as per my photos, and I assume that my pro detailer can use his magic bag of tricks to loosen the adhesive when necessary, and clean and detail the black skirt. If all else fails and it is cosmetically unattractive, I would then just replace the skirt.

I got my stickers on Thursday and placed them on the car that night at the very bottom of the bumper cover on the exposed plastic rather than the paint. Drove the car to and from work in the rain on Friday and the right side sticker fell off on the way home!

I'll keep driving in the HOV lane and play dumb if I get pulled over, but I suppose I should get a replacement.

I got my stickers on Thursday and placed them on the car that night at the very bottom of the bumper cover on the exposed plastic rather than the paint. Drove the car to and from work in the rain on Friday and the right side sticker fell off on the way home!

I'll keep driving in the HOV lane and play dumb if I get pulled over, but I suppose I should get a replacement.

I was meticulous in prepping the black rubber trim with Windex and then rubbing alcohol, then waiting until really dry. My 3 white HOV stickers are nice and tight after 6 months with twice weekly car washes.

Mine are still safely tucked away in my Glove Compartment. In my area Teslas are common and everyone with a brain knows they are all electric. I would think Cops would be even more aware. I'm banking on the fact that cops have better things to do than pull over an all electric vehicle simply due to a technicality. Most cops are cool, but it's definitely a risk. If I get caught, I'll take it from there. ;)

Mine are still safely tucked away in my Glove Compartment. In my area Teslas are common and everyone with a brain knows they are all electric. I would think Cops would be even more aware. I'm banking on the fact that cops have better things to do than pull over an all electric vehicle simply due to a technicality. Most cops are cool, but it's definitely a risk. If I get caught, I'll take it from there. ;)

Love this idea. It's in the spirit of my front license plate that I only put on (via magnets) when I'm parked in the Republic of Santa Monica. Let us know on the board if something ever happens with your strategy. It's too late for me, but for my next car I will probably do the same thing and keep the stickers off the car - where they belong!

You clearly win first prize finding the most aesthetically-pleasing spot to locate your HOV sticker. Here in Florida we have 2 stickers. One for HOV lane use and one to exempt us from tolls in HOV lanes converted to toll lanes. I'm still pondering where to put these ugly stickers. I'm now leaning towards INSIDE my back window.

Showing the cop stickers inside the window seems like a plausible "roadside defense" because the instructions say "PLACE ON LOWER RIGHT CORNER OF VEHICLE REAR WINDOW" but they don't say "outside" (however, the adhesive is on non-printed side).

Pulling the stickers from the glove compartment may be a weaker roadside defense, but your theory that cops will see it's a Tesla makes sense and is definitely worth considering.

You are playing with fire, scarecrow! We are talking fines of $381 and up for HOV violations. I don't think cops will give you a pass on it that easily.

I wear the badges proudly :) They've saved me countless hours of my life and enormous stress commuting up and down 101 from Redwood Shores to Palo Alto during peak commute hours. The eyesore aspect of it is nothing in comparison.