Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you guys placing the front decals (if at all)? I'm thinking the lower part of the bumper (curved part) would be the least obnoxious.
Going as low towards the ground as I can with the two small front/back decals. If a CHP wants to write me up not sticking on the two large butt ugly ones on both sides of my new beautiful car, well I guess I’ll just pay the price. Maybe a wise judge would agree with me:rolleyes::oops:.......lol:)

Going as low towards the ground as I can with the two small front/back decals. If a CHP wants to write me up not sticking on the two large butt ugly ones on both sides of my new beautiful car, well I guess I’ll just pay the price. Maybe a wise judge would agree with me:rolleyes::oops:.......lol:)

So you're going to use the two small ones and put them on the backside left and right bumper?? I would use the two large... or save one small one for the front in the coming years. I'm 100% not going to put the front on until I hear more about this "CA HOV lane changes" in the coming years.

So long you have (1) on the right side CHP is chill trust me ;).. CHP officers also have Tesla's and do not like these DAMN bumper stickers lol.

I have heard the front one is for the HOV Cameras I keep hearing whispers about.. Nothing confirmed but possibly CA DMV preparing for that and changing the location of stickers to combat the front-facing high-speed camera.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
So you're going to use the two small ones and put them on the backside left and right bumper?? I would use the two large... or save one small one for the front in the coming years. I'm 100% not going to put the front on until I hear more about this "CA HOV lane changes" in the coming years.

So long you have (1) on the right side CHP is chill trust me ;).. CHP officers also have Tesla's and do not like these DAMN bumper stickers lol.

I have heard the front one is for the HOV Cameras I keep hearing whispers about.. Nothing confirmed but possibly CA DMV preparing for that and changing the location of stickers to combat the front-facing high-speed camera.
I'm going to mount the two small ones as instructed. One small on the drivers side front bumper and one on the passer side rear bumper. I don't want any on the sides of the car.
Is this what you are saying will "maybe/likely" ok to most CHP officers? Figured they could see decal as I'm coming towards them or see one if they get behind me.

Trust is not an issue, but you are wrong if you think CHP won't pull you over and ticket you if you don't have front decals. Even if you are obviously in a HOV approved vehicle. Even if you have the decals properly displayed in the back. There have been instances of this in FB groups.

Granted, the CHP officer would be a bit of a d!ck for doing this, but some are more A/R than others. The CHP has been criticized not doing enough to stem the tide of HOV cheats. You can say that logic and common sense should apply, and I absolutely agree with you. But the fact remains, to be in compliance you have to display the decals as required. Otherwise, it is an infraction.

Others have said they will ride without the front decals until they get pulled over. Ok, but that's a $490 fine and a serious delay. I guess risk/reward factors into this, and whether or not it's worth it.

Put in all the stickers with the PPF in between..
IMG_20200119_165708.jpg IMG_20200119_170628.jpg

Seems like everyone is ignoring DMV’s instructions for placement. It changed with the orange stickers. They now want the two large decals on rear quarter panels and two smaller ones on front. No longer need any decal on rear bumper.

I don't think so.. just followed the instructions that it came with, which is same as before. They might have a different set of instructions in their website and have a older copy sent along the stickers may be...
IMG_20200118_125108.jpg

the printed one is dated 2018

the website one LOOKS more recent. but sheesh, how are we supposed to know? paper that is included, even if date looks old, seems 'stronger' than a website graphic. I mean, we get stickers in the mail and instructions in the mail, but we have to ignore the mail and use the website? mix them up? makes zero sense.

In a sense, this is good news for the vehicle owner: this would be a solid legal defense towards any "improper decal placement" citation one would receive.

Not saying it is an automatic get-out-of-jail-free card: just evidence that I would present before a judge were I given such a citation.