Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - The way I ready the CA HOV Sticker program website - if you apply between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023 your sticker expires when the program ends on September 30, 2025. Does that mean that they will stop issuing stickers after January 1, 2024??? I get my MX on Friday (11/24) and hope to get my plates before the end of the year to submit the application in time.

January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023All decals expire on September 30, 2025Green

There will likely be a new color for stickers issued in 2024. If the program is extended beyond September 2025, the expiration dates of the most recent year stickers will likely be extended depending on the color indicating year of issuance.

Getting the new color sticker in early 2024 is potentially better than getting the current one for 2023, although it will only matter if the program is extended.

Hello - The way I ready the CA HOV Sticker program website - if you apply between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023 your sticker expires when the program ends on September 30, 2025. Does that mean that they will stop issuing stickers after January 1, 2024??? I get my MX on Friday (11/24) and hope to get my plates before the end of the year to submit the application in time.

January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023All decals expire on September 30, 2025Green

Is this deadline based on when you apply or when they issue the decals?

You don't need to get your official plates to apply btw. You should apply with your temporary paper license.

I got a Tesla in Dec of 2019 and it was a 2020 model year. So you can’t go by the month / year it arrives.

Likewise I got one in June 2020 which was a 2020 model year.

It’s common in the industry for the model year to move to the next model year half way through the current calendar year.

There will likely be a new color for stickers issued in 2024. If the program is extended beyond September 2025, the expiration dates of the most recent year stickers will likely be extended depending on the color indicating year of issuance.

Getting the new color sticker in early 2024 is potentially better than getting the current one for 2023, although it will only matter if the program is extended.
This exactly.

There is no reason there would not be a new color for 2024, and then another one for 2025 (in case the program gets extended). No one will say that definitively, but just like they issued a new color for 2023 I expect the same for the next two years.

Reactions: Bacalao
I called the DMV yesterday to ask about if I get my license plates in January, can I still submit my carpool application. The person told me that he has received a few calls about the topic. He told me that unless the legislature makes a change, any application received AFTER December 31, 2023 will not be accepted. I picked up my X on November 25th. I asked how long it would take to get my plates and he said 4-6 weeks from purchase and asked for my VIN to check the status, I was told it was processed on December 14 and I should receive my plates by January 14. I asked if he could give me my license plate number and he said sure and gave it me..... (not sure why we could not just do that from the start).

Anyone waiting on plates, may want to call the DMV and get your application in by the 31st.

Last edited:
I called the DMV yesterday to ask about if I get my license plates in January, can I still submit my carpool application. The person told me that he has received a few calls about the topic. He told me that unless the legislature makes a change, any application received AFTER December 31, 2023 will not be accepted. I picked up my X on November 25th. I asked how long it would take to get my plates and he said 4-6 weeks from purchase and asked for my VIN to check the status, I was told it was processed on December 14 and I should receive my plates by January 14. I asked if he could give me my license plate number and he said sure and gave it me..... (not sure why we could not just do that from the start).

Anyone waiting on plates, may want to call the DMV and get your application in by the 31st.
This is what i was scared
So no new stickers after 2024?

Data point: I bought 2 EV's this summer within 2 months of each other. I received green CAV stickers (like everyone else) for the first purchase (late July), and I just received "red" CAV decals for the second purchase (which was late August). This is strange because I got red decals for the first 2017 Tesla I owned way back when it was new. So new decals (2024) will be red unless this is a mistake from the DMV.

Data point: I bought 2 EV's this summer within 2 months of each other. I received green CAV stickers (like everyone else) for the first purchase (late July), and I just received "red" CAV decals for the second purchase (which was late August). This is strange because I got red decals for the first 2017 Tesla I owned way back when it was new. So new decals (2024) will be red unless this is a mistake from the DMV.
Maybe they thought you were replacing a set? Although that color technically expired in 2022. If they were to recycle colors they would probably go farther back.