Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind they processed my application mailed in on 11/22 (Monday, week of thanksgiving) and had processed the application by 12/1. Less than 2 weeks. So somehow a group of us got screwed by the DMV.

I have requests in to the DMV but expect a few months for resolution

Two lessons learned from the case of @OCJeff --
1. Historical performance is not always an indicator of future results.
2. Don't gamble with the California DMV.

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
Two lessons learned from the case of @OCJeff --
1. Historical performance is not always an indicator of future results.
2. Don't gamble with the California DMV.
I have a screenshot of the DMV Twitter statement, which was posted prior to me sending in my application. If they process my application too early, and I get a blue sticker, I figure I'll have until 2025 for my dispute to work its way through the DMV, arbitration, or the courts. That's a lot of time to get this resolved.

I have a screenshot of the DMV Twitter statement, which was posted prior to me sending in my application. If they process my application too early, and I get a blue sticker, I figure I'll have until 2025 for my dispute to work its way through the DMV, arbitration, or the courts. That's a lot of time to get this resolved.
Not really, because you'll need to mail in your Blue stickers with the complaint (and statement of facts).

Where does it say that?
When I called the Special Processing Unit about the issue (getting the 2021 Blue stickers and not the 2022 stickers they should have based on their 3-4 month back log and "All applications are processed in the order received") they confirmed I needed to submit a request using DMV form Reg 256 (statement of facts) and that I needed to include the blue stickers with my request to the DMV.

Just sharing my experiences so far. I expect it to take 1-2 months to sort out.

As I said before the DMV can't even mess things up correctly. They just fail at everything.

When I called the Special Processing Unit about the issue (getting the 2021 Blue stickers and not the 2022 stickers they should have based on their 3-4 month back log and "All applications are processed in the order received") they confirmed I needed to submit a request using DMV form Reg 256 (statement of facts) and that I needed to include the blue stickers with my request to the DMV.

As I said before the DMV can't even mess things up correctly. They just fail at everything.
Thanks for this post, I plan on sending my stickers back to the DMV with Reg 256. I have a screenshot of a twitter post from the DMV CA which states that applications from the end August were still being processed. This was dated 11/24/21. Do you think a printout of this would be helpful to us?

DMV.PNG

Well then in that case, I'd be disputing the process for disputing. And again, I'd have 3 YEARS for that to work its way through the system.

Going to send this in a few days, hopefully the current 2020 form will still be good, I hope they don't come out with a 2022 form after I send it out on the first week of Jan 2022.

On a side note, I did see my neighbor who got their VW ID4 in August just get their Blue HOV stickers, so it seems it is pretty quick as mentioned in this thread.

I mailed my application 12/7. My check was cashed today. This is the worst case scenario.
I dont believe there is any rhyme or reason to how they are processing them. I mailed mine back in November and they've still not cashed the check. I've confirmed I used the proper form and mailed to the correct address. The fact yours was processed already before mine makes zero sense.

Looks like they updated their website with the YELLOW sticker, wish it were a darker color like Grey or Brown or Black..

1641072344973.png

I just noticed this notice regarding “first-time applications only”. Does this mean if I applied for and got the 2019 purple sticker I can’t apply for a 2022 Yellow sticker?

View attachment 751003
No, it means that if your vehicle received any sticker in the past, it cannot be issued another color sticker. You can certainly apply again if you buy a qualifying new vehicle or a qualifying used vehicle that has never been issued a decal before.

Reactions: N2B8
Oh gosh, it looks like they updated the form, there is a 12/2021 form now… I mailed mine out 1/1/22 wonder if it will get rejected due to wrong form..

It looks like they updated the PO BOX number, I wonder if it will be an issue that I sent it to the old PO Box..
1641265511267.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David3
Sweet mercy. My check just cashed.

I sent it in 4/29 lol
I ended up sending in ANOTHER one last week so hopefully they don't double charge me.

What ended up happening with the duplicate application? Did they return your check?

I'm debating sending in another application and check because they updated the form today and the PO BOX, I mailed it out on 1/2 and it probably didn't get picked up from the post office until today.....

What ended up happening with the duplicate application? Did they return your check?

I'm debating sending in another application and check because they updated the form today and the PO BOX, I mailed it out on 1/2 and it probably didn't get picked up from the post office until today.....
You can…. They should just reject the duplicate if the first one is received and processed.

• Informative
Reactions: Undisclosed

DMV online chat advised not to mail in another application using the new form, said it might confused them. They said if HQ has issue with the old form then they will mail it back. They also mentioned forms mailed to the old PO BOX will be forwarded so it should be fine.