Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why doesn't everyone sending applications in right now stop payment on the check until 1/1? Don't get why you'd risk it. I don't even have to go to the bank to do this, I can do it online. And while I doubt any bank has a "Stop Payment Until" feature (since this isn't the purpose of the stop payment feature) you can always lift the stop payment manually as though you "found" the check.
Okay…. So this doesn’t work apparently. 😢.
This is what I did. I’m not sure how DMV will handle it. Will they process the application but hold the stickers waiting for a valid payment? That is my biggest concern. I hope they mail back the application with the check and the $30 dmv declined payment fee.

I’ll report back once I see any action. Mailed in my application and check on 11/22. Stopped payment on 11/29.

Check didn’t clear my account before the stop payment. So it should be declined by my bank for sure. 🤷‍♂️

I’ll remote the stop payment if I don’t see anything by 1/1.
I just received my Blue CAV decals but my check was never cashed. So now I have to call the "special processing unit" and contest that these were issues.

This really sucked because the stop payment fee was $30 from my bank and now the DMV will also charge me a payment declined fee (likely another $30) and I’m still stuck with 2021 stickers.

I will have to now battle with the dmv to get this revoked and get 2022 stickers issue…. If that is even possible.

So just came across this tweet... Looks like 2022 will be yellow. I definitely would prefer blue!
Screenshot_20211217-231852.png

• Informative
Reactions: planetary
For those applying now, make sure you fill out the "2020" version of the form, the first one that show's up in a google search is the 2019 version and I saw one report of it being returned. I filled out the 2019 yesterday by accident, filling out another one today and sending it in.

And agree Yellow Ugh - guessing it's pretty close to the original one from 2011, not a lot of those on the road anymore, so guess they feel safe re-introducing it.

Yeah I'm just going to apply the little yellow sticker, not the large one.

And I was about to send in the 2019 version so thanks for the heads up.

Although I might hold off from sending until I see a real yellow 2022 sticker posted.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why it matters what color it is. The only time mine will be on the outside of the car is when I'm actively using them. Otherwise they'll be in the glovebox.
If you are doing a temp mount then maybe, but mine are semi-permanently mounted and I'm not going to bother putting them on and taking them off after every use, so it matters to me that it blends in as much as possible.

I talked to the DMV online chat on Monday. They said that inbound applications are definitely going to be 2022 and that the lead time is currently about 6-8 weeks.
View attachment 747353
This is today from their twitter feed. Makes no sense since just a few weeks ago they were processing applications from August.
Maybe they had a lull in applications as people started waiting for year end allowing them to catch-up?

I talked to the DMV online chat on Monday and they said all inbound applications now will get a 2022 sticker. They also said that current processing time is about 6-8 weeks although I wouldn't be surprised if that goes up to 8-12 as people start dumping in applications now at year end.

Keep in mind they processed my application mailed in on 11/22 (Monday, week of thanksgiving) and had processed the application by 12/1. Less than 2 weeks. So somehow a group of us got screwed by the DMV.

I have requests in to the DMV but expect a few months for resolution

Keep in mind they processed my application mailed in on 11/22 (Monday, week of thanksgiving) and had processed the application by 12/1. Less than 2 weeks. So somehow a group of us got screwed by the DMV.

I have requests in to the DMV but expect a few months for resolution
Sorry about your situation what a bummer. Considering the Thursday and Friday of that week were holidays, it’s more like they processed your application a day or two after they received it. Someone there probably just got hired and definitely processed the wrong batch of applications. That’s why I’m not taking any chances with early submission. The idiot is still working there.