Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Utilities Plan All Out War On Solar, Please Read And Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a mess reading this. This sounds like signing up for VPP without them giving you anything now for any exports since assuming power is 1/3 gen, 2/3 delivery, your own gen and exports can now only cancel out the 1/3 gen part.

Since homeowners don't technically delivery anything, that will never cancel/credit out.

I wouldn't be against tossing out Newsom and the whole CPUC already. They all seem to be on the payroll of the IOUs.
It is shocking that in a supposedly Progressive state that net 3.0 could ever have been passed and that we could ever have a situation in which the solar industry is collapsing in one of the sunniest states in the country. Just goes to show that when you have greedy corporate types gaming the system almost any level of corruption against general public interest is possible. Although this cartoon below was created to describe our wonderfully corrupt FPL in Florida I think it has to apply to the California Public Utilities Crooks just as much.

Attachments

• 1000000029.jpg
    1000000029.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 34
It is shocking that in a supposedly Progressive state that net 3.0 could ever have been passed and that we could ever have a situation in which the solar industry is collapsing in one of the sunniest states in the country. Just goes to show that when you have greedy corporate types gaming the system almost any level of corruption against general public interest is possible. Although this cartoon below was created to describe our wonderfully corrupt FPL in Florida I think it has to apply to the California Public Utilities Crooks just as much.
The only difference in Florida and California on this issue is that it is the democrats, meaning Newsom and the democrats in the state legislature that destroyed our net metering. And worse! Has brought us a utility income tax. I use zero electricity from the grid ever. Yet, by laws passed recently, I must be connected to the grid plus I have to pay $128/mo in order to be hooked up, even if I use zero power!

I will say that I am a democrat, yet I am furious with the democrat majority legislature that has been gifting SCE, PGE, and SDGE incredible profits. These are the three for profit utilities in California. Even though there is 60 not for profit utilities in California, these three profit crooks serve 75% of the population. The not for profit utilities in California have electric rates that are a fraction in cost.

Corporations by definition are greedy, that's not unexpected.

What is unexpected is that Gov isn't doing it's job - which in this situation isn't so much regulation, as to foster competition. I guarantee you that if the market were opened up to other companies on a level playing field - that part is key, no carve-outs, then the new companies (cough, Tesla, cough), prices would reverse course, and quickly.

Texas did this, and their power rates are 1/4 what they are in California. And US Gov studies of the two grids show they are comparable in reliability.

The only difference in Florida and California on this issue is that it is the democrats, meaning Newsom and the democrats in the state legislature that destroyed our net metering. And worse! Has brought us a utility income tax. I use zero electricity from the grid ever. Yet, by laws passed recently, I must be connected to the grid plus I have to pay $128/mo in order to be hooked up, even if I use zero power!

I will say that I am a democrat, yet I am furious with the democrat majority legislature that has been gifting SCE, PGE, and SDGE incredible profits. These are the three for profit utilities in California. Even though there is 60 not for profit utilities in California, these three profit crooks serve 75% of the population. The not for profit utilities in California have electric rates that are a fraction in cost.
You get what you voted!

Though I think that if the Republicans were in control of the legislature, they would then receive the big money from the utilities and would be the utilities' accomplices in the same way.

Historically, the BEST option is balance. Neither party can shove their agenda down people's throats and have to come to reasonable compromises.

California is far from balanced.

If you are in California, it is your state assembly member who is in the best position to repeal the utility tax. Please call them, write them, or better yet, walk into their office and "motivate" them. There is good suggestions on strategy on the link below.

The Solar Rights Alliance has a plan for the fight against this utility tax and the can use some more funds for it. Your money goes a long ways with this group. Please consider joining them financially with a monthly support. Proposed Utility Tax would increase electricity bills for millions, undermine rooftop solar, and discourage conservation

Just curious, what is the logic to focus on state assembly members? It seems the CPUC is the most direct source of the problems as they continue to side with the IOU's and approve rate hikes/fees/taxes without any apparent/defined limit. It's hard to see how the state assembly can directly change the CPUC.

Just curious, what is the logic to focus on state assembly members? It seems the CPUC is the most direct source of the problems as they continue to side with the IOU's and approve rate hikes/fees/taxes without any apparent/defined limit. It's hard to see how the state assembly can directly change the CPUC.
In the case of the income based utility tax that was AB205 which was passed by the legislature, not the PUC.

I can recommend that column - it's pretty balanced and it does provide some insight into Newsom's misguided rationale for the uncritical support of the utilities and utility scale solar in opposition to support for rooftop solar. It's definitely worth reading. What cannot be denied is that not allowing people to be off grid is pro monopoly. If somebody wants to create their own neighborhood microgrid or even their own personal Grid in their house, they should be allowed to do so. As long as the installation is safe and meets code standards, no one should be forced to be connected to an expensive and dysfunctional monopolistic grid system. Unfortunately both in California and in Florida you cannot live off grid. In that regard it is encouraging that solar communities are popping up. Babcock Farm here in Florida, who's Chief Architect won innovator of the year for Time Magazine is a great example but much smaller versions (smaller micro grids) are also appearing even if their economy of scale is not yet impressive.

Excerpt from this, which was news to me, but now makes things a little bit clearer:
"As I’ve written previously, California’s politically powerful labor unions have long fought to disadvantage rooftop solar companies, most of which are nonunion. As the Golden State targets 100% clean energy, organized labor wants to see more of our power come from sprawling solar farms in the desert, which are typically built by union workers who make higher salaries."

I'm not surprised by this one bit.

I've been expecting to see some announcement by law firms for a class action against the state of California over AB205 but have yet to see anything. Is there something in the state constitution that prevents legal action against the state or is it just early days enough that not enough unsuspecting citizens know about the scam that's about to invade their bill next year?

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
I've been expecting to see some announcement by law firms for a class action against the state of California over AB205 but have yet to see anything. Is there something in the state constitution that prevents legal action against the state or is it just early days enough that not enough unsuspecting citizens know about the scam that's about to invade their bill next year?
I don't know the answers to your questions. But I can't imagine that with about 30 million exposed people in California that nobody is going to sue. It really only requires $40k plus income to hit the $128/mo fee.

I don't know the answers to your questions. But I can't imagine that with about 30 million exposed people in California that nobody is going to sue. It really only requires $40k plus income to hit the $128/mo fee.

I'm not even that against an income based charge, but make it per kwh, not a fixed charge that discourages conservation. With this $128 fixed charge, there's no way to get out of it. If it's based on actual usage, those who make a lot of money who want to use a lot of electricity can just pay more. The problem is the true purpose of this charge is to un-grandfather us from NEM 2.0 and this fixed charge hurts those who invested in solar prior to NEM 3.0 the most.

Unfortunately both in California and in Florida you cannot live off grid.

This seems like an urban legend. What happens if you just stop paying your electric bill? Seems like it would be hard to call a residence uninhabitable for lack of power when you have power. There are off-grid homes in CA and FL that are too for transmission lines. Why would that be allowed?

Reactions: GSP
This seems like an urban legend. What happens if you just stop paying your electric bill? Seems like it would be hard to call a residence uninhabitable for lack of power when you have power. There are off-grid homes in CA and FL that are too for transmission lines. Why would that be allowed?
In California, no grid connection gets your home red tagged. No habitation allowed.

Again, they are only implementing state LAW. The Legislature directed the Utils to start charging by income. It is the State Legislature that is driving this. Does it help the utilities? Sure, but the Legislature could have put on their big-person pants and just said, No. Instead, they bent over and said, Yes. Teh State Utility Commission Board is comprised of appointees of the Governor. If he did not like what they were doing, he could remove them. But he doesn't.
It just does not seem like a utility charge by income would stand up in front of the US Supreme Court.