Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Window tint enforced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a pearl white MYLR, and it looks it's best with dark windows.

I would like to get 70%VLT on front windshield and 35% VLT on the front 2 windows.

However I am a bit concerned about the
California Window tint rule. (I am in Bay Area)

Is it really enforced?
I have the same as you and just got my fronts darkened to 20% to match the back. My last Model 3 was done to 5% and I never got bothered.

Attachments

• IMG_9878.jpeg
    IMG_9878.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 89
I grew up in the Bay Area during the 60s, 70s and 80s. No one tinted their windows. What is the point with tint? I can see tinting a glass roof, we didn't have those. But not being able to communicate with the drivers is a hazard. Are you afraid of being seen? Not interested in interacting with the world anymore?
With 35% tint, you can very clearly see the other drivers and everything outside. Others can see me too.

Getting the tint for UV protection and heat rejection, not for hiding

So the MY comes with factory installed tinting on the rear doors, rear windshield and roof, I believe it's 24%. Why would you need more tinting there? I would like to have enough tinting on the front windshield and side fronts to protect from UV but not to affect visibility. I have read that ceramic tints are best.
My original post clearly says

> I would like to get 70%VLT on front windshield and 35% VLT on the front 2 windows.

Those are untinted.