Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Californians -- AB 1139 just got amended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It reads to me as if the CPUC now needs to develop a new tarrif by August 1, 2022. So all 2021 PTOs would be grandfathered.

However, I did not see in the text of the bill anything about non-bypassible charges, only the NEM credit.

Also, upon reading it again a credit for the utilities "avoided cost" might be more or less than the cost of electricity. I mean, what exactly is that? One could speculate that for every kwh a residential solar owner sends back to the grid the utility gets to sell that kwh to someone else having gotten it for nothing.

I posted about this in the thread about the bill in the Policy subforum.

The amendment changes the grid export value from "wholesale rate" to the "avoided cost calculator" (ACC) rate for that period. The CPUC has made the ACC calculation estimate available for the 2030 calendar year as follows (chart in mWh rate by each hour in the day)

Converting the chart to kWh... the noon to 1pm timeframe grid export would be worth $0.02 per kWh. And no, the same homeowner isn't paying the ACC rate during peak time. So they could be paying $1.00 per kWh used but only get $0.02 per kWh exported and there's nothing the rate payer can do about it. (Edit: I guess they can always get ESS :) )

1622670432846.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Thanks for the chart. I can't think of a better argument for PWs.

Frankly, if this chart is true, there ought to be incentives to add PWs without solar -- I mean, look at that spread - its over 20 cents per kwh.

If you charge the PWs from the grid with no solar you are like 20 cents ahead.

why is the chart for 2030 calendar year or was that a typo and should be 2023?

It's a 2021 calculation estimating the 2030 baseline year for the analysis. Why 2030? Because by then COVID 29 will be causing us to ignore the trash that PG&E is doing. I think the CPUC assumes that the new stuff under AB 1139 will kick in around 2030 so they're using this 2030 estimate. I really don't know man. I don't know what is happening in the house chambers in Sac or who is putting this spreadsheet together.

1622671377260.png

PS. Methane Leakage. Sounds like PG&E is eating too much Taco Bell.

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph
I posted about this in the thread about the bill in the Policy subforum.

The amendment changes the grid export value from "wholesale rate" to the "avoided cost calculator" (ACC) rate for that period. The CPUC has made the ACC calculation estimate available for the 2030 calendar year as follows (chart in mWh rate by each hour in the day)

Converting the chart to kWh... the noon to 1pm timeframe grid export would be worth $0.02 per kWh. And no, the same homeowner isn't paying the ACC rate during peak time. So they could be paying $1.00 per kWh used but only get $0.02 per kWh exported and there's nothing the rate payer can do about it. (Edit: I guess they can always get ESS :) )

View attachment 668855
What does this mean? We get back more if we send our produced solar power to the grid during higher demand and rate times?

What does this mean? We get back more if we send our produced solar power to the grid during higher demand and rate times?

"more" is kind of relative.

Yes, the 6pm time frame is about $0.25 per kWh; which is "more" than $0.02. So yes, if AB 1139 passes, and your grandfathering expires, then grid-export from your solar at 6pm would make more than the same grid export at 1pm.

But, today peak time export under EV2-A is what; $0.50? If I did the same behavior of grid-exporting my solar right now from my batteries at 6pm I'd make $0.50 (less the $0.03 NBC) since that's the market rate being charged now (not the ACC rate).

Of course none of this matters if Elon doesn't make it so we can grid-export on command. Today I can only grid export if I sign up for some stupid PG&E-run program and PG&E takes my power when they feel like it.

So to answer your question, yes grid exporting at peak will get you more than grid exporting at non-peak. But AB 1139 will take away a ton of value when compared to today; so under 1139 no, you won't get back more compared to today.

"more" is kind of relative.

Yes, the 6pm time frame is about $0.25 per kWh; which is "more" than $0.02. So yes, if AB 1139 passes, and your grandfathering expires, then grid-export from your solar at 6pm would make more than the same grid export at 1pm.

But, today peak time export under EV2-A is what; $0.50? If I did the same behavior of grid-exporting my solar right now from my batteries at 6pm I'd make $0.50 (less the $0.03 NBC) since that's the market rate being charged now (not the ACC rate).

Of course none of this matters if Elon doesn't make it so we can grid-export on command. Today I can only grid export if I sign up for some stupid PG&E-run program and PG&E takes my power when they feel like it.

So to answer your question, yes grid exporting at peak will get you more than grid exporting at non-peak. But AB 1139 will take away a ton of value when compared to today; so under 1139 no, you won't get back more compared to today.
This is for PGE only? With SCE we currently get wholesale price for everything we send back no matter what time we send it back.

So what changes for us SCE customers under NEM 2.0?

This is for PGE only? With SCE we currently get wholesale price for everything we send back no matter what time we send it back.

The chart I showed was for PG&E yes... my universe is only PG&E :p It's all I ever think about.

The stupid spreadsheet crashes my Excel so I don't know what it looks like under SCE. But I'm guessing it's similar.

Ummmm today you should be getting the time of use rate (less a NBC fee) when you grid export up to your annual usage. The wholesale rate should only apply to kWh in excess of your annual usage.

Problem is that the low rates are during prime solar (when PG&E also has abundant solar available). You won't be pushing much back between 7pm to 9pm
You will if they allow exporting solar from ESS anytime, instead of when you produce it. This has been deemed allowable but so far no rate structure has been put in place. Maybe it's in here?

Only for all production up to what you consumed. Any net production over what you consumed is wholesale

Yeah, under AB 1139, every kWh you export around noon (whether it's your first kWh or the 15,000'th kWh in excess of your usage) will earn you $0.02. And I'm sure NEM 4.0 will include some hefty NBC's so you'll end up paying money for having exported that energy. Lol.