Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Californians -- AB 1139 just got amended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If PG&E (and the other California IOUs; but I hate PG&E so I always type PG&E) gets their way... new solar installs will require an output meter installed. This "NGOM" will also allow PG&E to bill the homeowner for energy exported from the ESS back into the home.

View attachment 669126

"Participation". Nice. I will never participate in this. I'll disconnect from the grid entirely before it comes to this.

With dropping solar and storage prices vs rising IOU prices, I think in 10 years you'll see a huge shift towards residential off grid systems. With more robust inverter technology and redundancy whether it be automatic backup inverters or micro inverters so you don't lose more than a single panel at a time, going off grid with cheaper storage will be easier to do and quite frankly cheaper than buying from the utility. This will eventually put pressure on downsizing the grid and IOUs will have to scale down again and again. Eventually, in 20 or 30 years, the grid will be decentralized as power is generated where it's needed and used rather than transported over hundreds of miles.

Reactions: h2ofun
I'm fairly certain what you're saying is illegal in California. The California builders code says that a property cannot go off-grid unless it could somehow do this with no fossil fuel energy sources. And the moment stuff can take a sniff at sharing energy with PG&E's precious infrastructure because it's feeding a common property, it needs to be disclosed and permitted.

I think you mean that properties can't be built without a grid connection (where available). That doesn't mean you can't turn off your utility entirely and have your meter taken out. I have friends who've done that for properties they have that aren't going to be occupied for a long time.

What PGE actually had them do was turn off the main breaker and leave the meter installed but with a deactivated account.

t

wow - that totally reverse the payback from solar only to solar+battery
My payback off solar only will be ~5 years. The additional cost of PWs pushes the payback way out, but I bought them for backup. Under PG&E new plan the PWs actually have a payback albeit long

My solar ROI is 4 years on my 8.16KW and the 3 PWs push that out but not WAY out to 6.4 years so it increase the ROI about 60% longer. That said, the PW ROI would be a lot longer if it weren't for the fact that I have EV2A and will end up using about 30 to 35 KWH / day during peak for about 3 months of the year.

You forgot the Grid Benefits Charge. See Table 12. PG&E wants $10.93 per kW of system size per month. For your system that could be a 7kW system, so pay them an extra $76.51 per month. It’s all in the document. They want a grid fee for your self-consumed power.

They SUCK:mad:

NOW I know what this Amazon driver was all upset about. He just read AB1139!!

My solar ROI is 4 years on my 8.16KW and the 3 PWs push that out but not WAY out to 6.4 years so it increase the ROI about 60% longer. That said, the PW ROI would be a lot longer if it weren't for the fact that I have EV2A and will end up using about 30 to 35 KWH / day during peak for about 3 months of the year.
my problem is that before PWs, I was close to zero true-up. Then adding PWs, I went ~1000 negative on NEM. If I hadn't been close to zero before PW, my ROI with them would have been well less than 10. That said, I'm moving from EV1A to EV2A in 2 years. That will increase benefit of the PWs

"Participation". Nice. I will never participate in this. I'll disconnect from the grid entirely before it comes to this.

With dropping solar and storage prices vs rising IOU prices, I think in 10 years you'll see a huge shift towards residential off grid systems. With more robust inverter technology and redundancy whether it be automatic backup inverters or micro inverters so you don't lose more than a single panel at a time, going off grid with cheaper storage will be easier to do and quite frankly cheaper than buying from the utility. This will eventually put pressure on downsizing the grid and IOUs will have to scale down again and again. Eventually, in 20 or 30 years, the grid will be decentralized as power is generated where it's needed and used rather than transported over hundreds of miles.
The utilities see this future and want to kill it in the crib. The key to that is making it uneconomical for many to choose solar. The interesting fight is that CA requires new homes to have solar. The utilities would like to the CPUC to declare that the solar power from your roof is NOT yours. There is currently no explicit protection for solar owners from having their power regulated as a public resource. They haven’t done it yet, but charging you for using it in your home would legitimize that kind of thinking. Charging you for discharging your PW into your home is also being proposed. Decentralization is bad for utility profits.

Reactions: sorka
The utilities see this future and want to kill it in the crib. The key to that is making it uneconomical for many to choose solar. The interesting fight is that CA requires new homes to have solar. The utilities would like to the CPUC to declare that the solar power from your roof is NOT yours. There is currently no explicit protection for solar owners from having their power regulated as a public resource. They haven’t done it yet, but charging you for using it in your home would legitimize that kind of thinking. Charging you for discharging your PW into your home is also being proposed. Decentralization is bad for utility profits.
Yah, I was thinking about this the other day. Being that new constructions require solar, so the IOU's are just charging those homes for more automatically is insane.

I just think it's funny (sad)? that under PG&E's new proposal with all the fixed costs, grid benefits, etc a person who goes solar-only may actually end up spending more money per month on energy than someone who stayed with PG&E and just resorted to eating cold-cuts for dinner and air drying their clothes.

You are saddened that an energy glutton with daytime solar spends more than an energy miser ? Huh

You are saddened that an energy glutton with daytime solar spends more than an energy miser ? Huh

Yes, I am sad that PG&E wants all rate payers who consume more than the miser to also pay the utilities more money than the miser. Even if the homeowner gets rooftop solar, PG&E wants their "share".

I’m sad that PG&E has created the strawman of some fictional person sitting alone in the dark eating a cold sandwich at 6pm without air conditioning. With no dishes to clean later and no laundry to do. This figure is paragon of smart energy management because this person doesn't use electricity so California remains "golden". "Power Down 4 to 9" and be like this person. If you don't power down 4 to 9 (regardless if you have PV or not) then you're an energy waster.

I know you're thinking I'm being hyperbolic, but I'm not. PG&E's advice to rate payers includes things like "air dry your clothes" and "eat stove free meals." They tell people to turn off their TVs and binge watch after 9pm. If someone actually uses electricity instead of these recommendations, (it doesn't matter if they pull electricity from the grid or from their own installed PV+ESS) then PG&E wants them to pay pay pay the PoCo.

For those unfortunate souls that don't have PV, PG&E asks them to live like the "Margaret" in the link I'll post below. She takes a lantern to go use the bathroom and sits in the dark. Her energy bills are double what they used to be because she doesn't know how to manage her energy consumption.

For those more fortunate souls that get PV, PG&E's joint-IOU submission for NEM3 and backing of AB1139 show us what they think. PG&E wants customers with solar to pay for sending energy back to the utility plus pay monstrous interconnection fees. And the utilities believe the energy sent back during off-peak time is at the "avoided cost calculator" rate that is basically $0.03 to $0.05 per kWh in their calendar year 2033 forecast model. So the solar customer who actually has energy to use can behave like the miser if they want to pay the power company less. But if they actually use electricity (even if it's from their own rooftop self-generation), the PG&E wants them to pay pay pay.

I bought solar and batteries so I could just ignore time of use and live "normally". I understand PG&E's propaganda means living "normally" is also living "gluttonous" compared to that strawman miser.

Read about Margaret here. Yes, her condo may have an energy problem with some oddball appliance ripping through kWh. Yes, she probably needs to be self sufficient to better manage her energy. But the only guidance our useful PoCo has provided to her is to live in the dark.

Last edited:
Yes, I am sad that PG&E wants all rate payers who consume more than the miser to also pay the utilities more money than the miser.

<<shrug>>
You and I live in different worlds.

As an aside, my wife and I live very comfortably, have 2 EVs, and consume around 300 kWh a month this past year, more like 500 kWh when we drive more. I'm putting in my second PV array because I think it is the right thing to do, and in order to cut the NG line to my home.