Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call for non-destructive front license plate bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the options include the following, but in some cases I have concerns:

• Torklift : looks great BUT is firmly anchored to grill; if plate is hit e.g. by vehicle rolling back, grill is damaged, could be expensive
  • Skene: looks great BUT is firmly anchored to bumper; if plate is hit e.g. by vehicle rolling back, bumper is damaged, will be expensive
  • J-bolts: looks good BUT may cause wear on bumper surfaces over time where plate touches bumper
  • Tie wraps: looks OK BUT may cause wear on bumper surfaces over time where plate touches bumper and tie wraps may fail with age

Had some idiot roll back into me at traffic light the other day, so know there are things that can happen.

The Torklift and Skene options may be OK if the nosecone projects beyond the plates, although this will not help if you bump into a low object.

Nosecone mount unfortunately looks like lowest risk and easiest replacement.

Still trying to decide what to do. May try the Torklift, but want to check out if grill is easy to replace (and not too expensive).

Gary

My MVPA is sitting unsigned as I decide how to handle the license plate issue. I had all of the exact same thoughts as you. I'm not a huge fan of the nosecone mount, but it has a giant benefit in that if the car gets bumped parallel parking or something, the nosecone is extremely easy and (relatively) cheap to replace ($350), whereas the bumper/painting is far more expensive.

I've come up with decent non-stock installations on both my current cars, but I think with the Model S I'll just put it in the stock location.

To add to your J-bolt & tie wrap concerns, I experienced exactly what you describe on a previous car. I firmly mounted the plate with nice foam exactly like in the YouTube video we've all seen that rested against a painted surface. Many thousands of miles later I remove the plate, and find the foam had damaged the paint on the bumper. Even with obsessive washing dirt had gotten between the foam and the paint, and even though the mount felt extremely sturdy, it must have vibrated slightly at speed.

I would be very concerned about both the J-bolt and Tie-wrap options long-term. If I had to do that type of installation again, I'd make sure there was some clear bra in that area at least.

Good points. Didn't consider that. Just got the Torklift one in the mail yesterday. Will try and install it next week maybe.

Next week? Why it's a 5 min install! Just kidding!

I'll probably not have the thing mounted. Going to get film installed and it automatically will cover the nosecone. I'll take a closer look, check if the grill is easily replaced and then make a decision. Plates just look ugly and disrupt the aerodynamics ... oh well.

Gary

Next week? Why it's a 5 min install! Just kidding!

I'll probably not have the thing mounted. Going to get film installed and it automatically will cover the nosecone. I'll take a closer look, check if the grill is easily replaced and then make a decision. Plates just look ugly and disrupt the aerodynamics ... oh well.

Gary
I know=) Busy weekend I'll get around to it eventually but looks nice sitting in the house so far.

I see the options include the following, but in some cases I have concerns:

• Torklift : looks great BUT is firmly anchored to grill; if plate is hit e.g. by vehicle rolling back, grill is damaged, could be expensive
  • Skene: looks great BUT is firmly anchored to bumper; if plate is hit e.g. by vehicle rolling back, bumper is damaged, will be expensive
  • J-bolts: looks good BUT may cause wear on bumper surfaces over time where plate touches bumper
  • Tie wraps: looks OK BUT may cause wear on bumper surfaces over time where plate touches bumper and tie wraps may fail with age

Had some idiot roll back into me at traffic light the other day, so know there are things that can happen.

The Torklift and Skene options may be OK if the nosecone projects beyond the plates, although this will not help if you bump into a low object.

Still trying to decide what to do. May try the Torklift, but want to check out if grill is easy to replace (and not too expensive).

Gary

I was able to mount the Skene bracket fairly low on the nosecone so that that nosecone projects beyond the license plate. I used the short Skene bracket to do this (the medium one is recommended for Tesla by Skene but will stick out a bit more), and really like the result.

I was able to mount the Skene bracket fairly low on the nosecone so that that nosecone projects beyond the license plate. I used the short Skene bracket to do this (the medium one is recommended for Tesla by Skene but will stick out a bit more), and really like the result.

Can you post a close up of side view picture? Does it run against the paint at all being that close?

I'm still trying to decide on how to mount mine when it arrives.

I'm pretty interested, too. In the gallery on the Skene site I see a lower mount that does appear to site behind the nosecone and front spoiler. That's very appealing, since getting tapped by someone parallel parking or something won't force the plate into the bumper. You might be able to mitigate any damage to the painted bar there by installing a bit of clear film.

Here's the picture from the Skene site for reference:
Tesla_lower_mount.jpg

My MVPA is sitting unsigned as I decide how to handle the license plate issue. I had all of the exact same thoughts as you. I'm not a huge fan of the nosecone mount, but it has a giant benefit in that if the car gets bumped parallel parking or something, the nosecone is extremely easy and (relatively) cheap to replace ($350), whereas the bumper/painting is far more expensive.
Bingo. The part you're drilling through for the standard installation is a cheap part, and there isn't even any need to color match it if you replace it.

I'm actually a little surprised at the way Tesla did things. I would have designed three nosecone parts: one as standard; one with a builtin front license plate bracket for the US; and one with a builtin front license plate bracket for Europe.

Just 2 cents of info: this might be already discussed somewhere in the TMC, but upon Japan launch in March/April 2014, all Japanese cars will have front license plate holders. It might be a permanent solution which can't be applied to U.S. cars, though.
Japanese law require the front license plate as mandatory, and be attached "firmly" on the front of the vehicle.

In the spirit of non-destructiveness, quick, easy, and secure attachment and removal. I put together an 'invisible' magnetic mount. This is not intended to be something you use to have your plate mounted while driving, actually the opposite - mount the plate when parked. It is especially useful when in municipalities that require front plates based on local ordinance. I've been using it since last October and have made a tweak or two and given interest at a local super charger opening a month or so ago, thought I would post to gauge interest in a production run. Here's a video, a bit long but relatively thorough ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWdJhTt3HM

Simple front license plate fix while parked

In San Francisco, it seems the biggest risk for a fix-it ticket is while parked where meter maids patrol and at SFO. I attached the front license plate with screws at the bottom of the bracket, cut a bungee cord in two and tied off each half through the top screw holes and put some felt dots on the back to avoid scratches I snipped off the ends of the bungee hooks to shorten them. I just hook the two bungee ends to the grill in front and the license plate hangs just below the nose cone. By making the hooks shorter, they hook and unhook easily. No tickets in 10 months.....

Hi there,

I got my Model S yesterday and I haven't had the front plate installed. I've read a few pages of this thread and none of the solutions seem feasible to my Model S since it has the radar and the camera in the middle lower section of the front bumper. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to drill any holes into the bumper or the Nosecone, and I prefer something similar to the Youtube video posted, which used hook screws (i.e. very simple).

Thank you very much in advance

Hi there,

I got my Model S yesterday and I haven't had the front plate installed. I've read a few pages of this thread and none of the solutions seem feasible to my Model S since it has the radar and the camera in the middle lower section of the front bumper. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to drill any holes into the bumper or the Nosecone, and I prefer something similar to the Youtube video posted, which used hook screws (i.e. very simple).

Thank you very much in advance

Hi Manielli,

You may find what you're looking for in this thread:

License Plate Placement with the ACC Sensor

Josh

Well...

I live in a state that requires a front license plate. At least rumors claim that to be the case. I have driven over 40k miles in my Tesla without a front license plate, and have even been stopped a few times by the police, without any problems.

Well...

I live in a state that requires a front license plate. At least rumors claim that to be the case. I have driven over 40k miles in my Tesla without a front license plate, and have even been stopped a few times by the police, without any problems.

You are lucky they are not strict over front plates. Here they are strict. In 2011 I got a new car and the same day I got a warning for not having the front plates on, and since I had taken the car from the dealership the same day, the officer didn't give me a ticket. My brother also got a few ticket since he decided to take his chances and not have the front plates on, after 3 or 4 $120 tickets, he learned his lesson. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Manielli,

You may find what you're looking for in this thread:

License Plate Placement with the ACC Sensor

Josh

Thank you very much. I don't see any link attached to the thread you are pointing at.