TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Camera and the rain

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by abs, Jan 23, 2013.

1. abs

abs Member

While the resolution on the Model S's camera is a marvel, it seems affected by rain and dirt more than backup cameras on my Lexus as well as my Sienna. I don't know if this is a placement issue, an aerodynamics issue or anomalous bad luck on my part. Perhaps there's a non-fugly rain shade that could be engineered to address this.

Anyone else see this issue?

2. alset

alset Member

Yes, I don't remember a dirty rear picture often at all on other cars but I get it quite regularly on the Tesla. I think you might be right on the aerodynamics.

3. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

I just thought about this and can't try it because our S is in storage.

Rain-X?

4. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I've seen some complaints about rain distortion on newer Honda Accords and Civics. I think it must have something to do with the placement of the cameras.

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR

Yeah, it's a problem with the S, but really no worse than the Acuras I've owned.

6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

The placement and lack of guard on the camera is the reason.

I suppose one could fashion a little shade for it. Would look a bit hokey. Here's a picture -- the camera is just below the Tesla branding right above the license plate. Just below the "E". Sticks out just a little.
    small for posting.jpg

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Pretty much the same as my former Infiniti G37. And my previous Nissan Murano for that matter.

8. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Really? While I've only driven it in ferocious cold with lots of snow, I've had complete visibility the whole time. It is, of course, a fish eye lens, but apart from that distortion I've found it better than my SUV's (they get covered the moment I go on the road. Maybe when it warms up above -30 that will change for me!