Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping in a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. Although I do have other use cases for a tow hitch so maybe it was still worthwhile. You can't stick a Hobie Cat in the cargo area!

I put an aftermarket hitch on our Bolt, and used it a couple times with a utility trailer... so I will probably keep the hitch option... I can always decide later, it isn't like my car will be ready to deliver any time soon!

How wide is the Y between the wheel wells in the cargo area? If you can fit 4' wide plywood back there I will probably end up canceling the hitch :)

Keith

I put an aftermarket hitch on our Bolt, and used it a couple times with a utility trailer... so I will probably keep the hitch option... I can always decide later, it isn't like my car will be ready to deliver any time soon!

How wide is the Y between the wheel wells in the cargo area? If you can fit 4' wide plywood back there I will probably end up canceling the hitch :)

Keith
You cannot. It's, uh *runs out to garage with tape measure*, 39.5" between the wheel wells. If I need to carry a plywood I'd have to use the roof rack. Although the official Tesla (Yakima) rack bars are curved, so if I needed a plywood I'd probably take the Bolt. Also if I accidentally drop a tie-down on the Bolt's roof I might ding the paint but I won't break the roof! (TBQH I'd probably just pay the 60 bucks to get it delivered from T.W. Perry.)

We took out the camper this weekend towing with the Y. The consumption was about 350 wh/m. Plugged in at the campground while there. Feeling bold, I did take a detour to go to a more remote day camping area near Elma WA Google Maps. It was amazing. We spent a few hours there on the way back home. Finally arrived at home with 8% charge.

I am figuring out how to power the camper with the 12v plug in the trunk next :D.View attachment 587914 View attachment 587915 View attachment 587916 View attachment 587917
thanks for sharing the photos. Looks great.

You cannot. It's, uh *runs out to garage with tape measure*, 39.5" between the wheel wells. If I need to carry a plywood I'd have to use the roof rack. Although the official Tesla (Yakima) rack bars are curved, so if I needed a plywood I'd probably take the Bolt. Also if I accidentally drop a tie-down on the Bolt's roof I might ding the paint but I won't break the roof! (TBQH I'd probably just pay the 60 bucks to get it delivered from T.W. Perry.)

I haven't needed plywood yet, but if I do I still have the utility trailer I used with the Bolt... I would just use that. I originally purchased the hitch and trailer because I needed warranty repair on my Ryobi electric riding mower and I had to take it an hour away for the diagnostic and repair.

Keith

Reactions: Johnny Vector
@Tifighter can you post more pictures, specifically of the overhang (if any) of the mattress past the top of the folded down seats? I am considering ordering but am tall and wonder if the size is effectively shorter because of unsupported overhang.
Pics won't be immediate. The Y is my wife's car, and she's out of town. Am I the only one on TMC that has one of these? I admittedly haven't looked on the X forums.

There is some overhang, but the mat is pretty rigid so I don't notice it sinking. It probably deflects 1/2" down I'd guess, but with a pillow, you wouldn't notice this height difference. You could always angle the front seat to contact the end of the mat for extra support, if you had to. Or roll up a jacket or something to wedge between the mat and the second row headrests below it. I haven't done this, but these tricks seem like they should work. But, the Y is a compact SUV to begin with, so there are limits/compromises here. I'm 6'2" but am a side sleeper, so I'm never sleeping at my full height/length anyhow.

Reactions: Guvnah
Pics won't be immediate. The Y is my wife's car, and she's out of town. Am I the only one on TMC that has one of these? I admittedly haven't looked on the X forums.

There is some overhang, but the mat is pretty rigid so I don't notice it sinking. It probably deflects 1/2" down I'd guess, but with a pillow, you wouldn't notice this height difference. You could always angle the front seat to contact the end of the mat for extra support, if you had to. Or roll up a jacket or something to wedge between the mat and the second row headrests below it. I haven't done this, but these tricks seem like they should work. But, the Y is a compact SUV to begin with, so there are limits/compromises here. I'm 6'2" but am a side sleeper, so I'm never sleeping at my full height/length anyhow.
That's very helpful, thanks. I was thinking I'd have to add some support. I'm 6'1" and also generally a side sleeper

Just for reference with the video, I'm 6'3"

Additionally, if I had to do something different, I would probably remove the bottom rear seat cushion to allow the back seats to be more flat (seen those camping in the M3 do this). I will also get/build something to support the corners of the mattress, as it hangs a little over the back seats.

-Napier Backroadz SUV tent
I'm 6'3" as well.

Did you ever remove the rear seat cushions, and did it help?

My main questions concern the Napier Backroadz SUV tent:
  • Can you open and close the Model Y rear hatch while connected to the tent?
  • Do you think one person could setup and connect the tent, or is it really a two person job?
  • Have you experienced heavy rain and/or strong wind yet with that tent setup, if so how did it fare?
thanks.

I don't want to get a DreamCase because it's single purpose. I'd like to use my Nemo Tensor backpacking airmatresses and quilt sleep system. However, I'm 6'4" and that's where the DreamCase shines. It has a platform for the gap.

Is there a simple solution for this gap?