Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Model Y phone key be used to open Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I’m not sure about 2018 vs 2019. But I can open and start my X with my phone and no FOB. However it is not hands free, you have to open the app and remotely unlock and start. Not also the vehicle and car must have cellular service. It’s ok as a backup not for primary use.

I think both cars would need to be under the same account that the phone is logged into.

I set up tasker for my Model X. Shortcuts on my home screen to unlock, lock and start the car remotely. I was so used to my Model 3 and not carrying a fob..this will do until I can't connect to my car cause no service lol

The OP asks a specific question, but that question has two answers depending on how you view the question.

The question of " Can a phone be used to start and drive the model X (or S, or any tesla)" is , "yes, if the car has a cellular signal, and the phone has the tesla app on it, one can open the tesla app and "Remote Start" the vehicle.

However, because the OP specifically mentions "My wife uses her phone to open / drive her model Y" it can be inferred that the OP is asking specifically about the "phone as key" process, which does NOT require opening the tesla app, and does NOT require the car to have cellular connectivity.

@glide points out, quite correctly as everyone who has responded to this thread currently already is aware, that the answer to "can the current model X use the phone as key process, like model Y" is "No".

TL ; DR - No, phone as key does not work on the model X currently, and everyone saying "but you can use the tesla app to start the vehicle, and need cellular connectivity when you do that" is aware of that fact. You can start the car with a phone, however, provided it has cellular connectivity (so not parked in underground parking, or anywhere else with bad signal), by opening the tesla app and using the remote start feature.

I set up tasker for my Model X. Shortcuts on my home screen to unlock, lock and start the car remotely. I was so used to my Model 3 and not carrying a fob..this will do until I can't connect to my car cause no service lol
how do you like tasker? i looked into it briefly for non-tesla related stuff, but it looked kinda clunky?

Reactions: MX29
how do you like tasker? i looked into it briefly for non-tesla related stuff, but it looked kinda clunky?
It works great. It's not too clunky at all when you get a hang of it. Once you set up your shortcuts you don't really have to mess with it again. You have to buy tasker plug(it's a few bucks) in for Tesla and that literally does all the work for you.

My next step is to get those shortcuts to work with Alexa or Google.

Reactions: ngng