Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

can base model display cars in adjacent lanes in 17" dash screen or it only comes with EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While configuring a new model-S, I am debating whether to get EAP(enhanced auto-pilot) option now.
I do not need auto-pilot feature. I actually felt nervous when setting the car in auto-pilot mode in the test drive.
However, I do like its camera features.
When I test drove a model-S, I can see the cars in the adjacent lanes and at the back on its 17" dash screen on my right side. I really like this feature, since this shows my surrounding cars without blindspots. I do not need rear-view mirror or side view mirrors. I am wondering does this come with standard option, or I have to buy EAP to get this?

thanks!

While configuring a new model-S, I am debating whether to get EAP(enhanced auto-pilot) option now.
I do not need auto-pilot feature. I actually felt nervous when setting the car in auto-pilot mode in the test drive.
However, I do like its camera features.
When I test drove a model-S, I can see the cars in the adjacent lanes and at the back on its 17" dash screen on my right side. I really like this feature, since this shows my surrounding cars without blindspots. I do not need rear-view mirror or side view mirrors. I am wondering does this come with standard option, or I have to buy EAP to get this?

thanks!
Not sure what you mean by you saw the surrounding cars. Do you mean the ultrasonic sensors? I am pretty sure they activate even with Autopilot off. I do have EAP and FSD. The problem with not getting the auto-pilot feature is that you also do not get TACC which to me should be included on every car. In my personal case I would not have even considered a Tesla without EAP. FSD is not even in beta yet so that is questionable but EAP is extremely useful on freeway driving.

"Not sure what you mean by you saw the surrounding cars", I meant the car in the lane next to me, not behind my car. We are shoulder to shoulder, so this car could be in my blind spot if I use side mirror.. this could be very useful before changing lanes

ah, I see, that is a bummer, so even with EAP, I won't get this feature with the new Tesla I am going to get.
Correct. EAP won't help with that. Hopefully a software update will enable that capability at some point.
btw, do you know why this feature was removed in newer version of AP system? Of all the AP features demonstrated to me, I like this one the best.
The reason for removal: totally different AP hardware. Software is not fully ready. Some AP1 features are still missing.

Reactions: dippybird6
@d21mike, when I stopped by Tesla dealership earlier this morning, they showed me that when I put the blinker on, it generated the yellow or red flash signal of cars in the lane I am changing in to, and the color depends on how close the other car to me. Is this what you referred to by "If you put the blinker on you will see cars in the lane you are changing in to. " It was shown on the dashboard, not on 17" big screen.
I was told that this yellow flash comes with standard, however, TACC only comes with EAP, as you said.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Since AP2 is a major rewrite from AP1 it may have just not be added yet instead of removed. However, to me it is cosmetic so who knows.

This is really worth highlighting. The cars in the "other lane" are entirely cosmetic in AP1. It did not lead to AP1 making different decisions based off how offset the other car is, or avoiding entering a curve with them together, etc. The only time when it became relevant is if they significantly cut into your lane, at which point they turn into a white car (which happens on AP2 as well).

This is an entirely cosmetic eye-candy diagram, and as far as I could tell, AP1 never actually used this information to influence its driving.

@d21mike, when I stopped by Tesla dealership earlier this morning, they showed me that when I put the blinker on, it generated the yellow or red flash signal of cars in the lane I am changing in to, and the color depends on how close the other car to me. Is this what you referred to by "If you put the blinker on you will see cars in the lane you are changing in to. " It was shown on the dashboard, not on 17" big screen.
I was told that this yellow flash comes with standard, however, TACC only comes with EAP, as you said.
No. What you are referring to is ultrasonic sensors. I ran across a Video about that this morning and will post. I was talking about autopilot (EAP) when doing a auto lane change you will see cars in the other lane. There are tons of YouTube videos on this stuff. I watched a lot before buying my Tesla.

@d21mike amazing video, thanks for the link!
I was told this morning that standard Tesla leverages one camera on the back, while EAP can make use of three cameras in the front of the car as well, and none of side cameras are being used in EAP now. It does look like this way in the video, where the left side view shows car approaching from behind, and the right side view shows car in the front. It seems like the car disappearing for a split of a second while transitioning between two windows:). no single window shows the entire passing process..

@d21mike amazing video, thanks for the link!
I was told this morning that standard Tesla leverages one camera on the back, while EAP can make use of three cameras in the front of the car as well, and none of side cameras are being used in EAP now. It does look like this way in the video, where the left side view shows car approaching from behind, and the right side view shows car in the front. It seems like the car disappearing for a split of a second while transitioning between two windows:). no single window shows the entire passing process..
Currently EAP still only uses 2 of the front cameras for driving, 1 for automatic wipers.

None of the side or rear or pillar cameras play a role at all. Blind spot detection currently is via ultrasonic (parking) sensors. Though there's rumblings since 2017.50.x and 2018.2 that more and more code is starting to show up suggesting that the rear-looking repeater cameras may be activated in the near future.