Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can co-owner qualify for CVRP by themselves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Precisely! I gave them MY ssn.

The primary collects the CVRP rebate. The secondary co-owner collects the tax credit.
To circle back on what you mentioned in previous post, it doesn't matter which one is primary or secondary, right? As long as one gets one rebate and the other gets the other?

Did you have your mom present during pickup to add her as a "co-registered" person?

Hi @big bad daddy - tried to DM you but couldn't - appreciate you sharing your story. I'm looking to purchase a vehicle for a parent under similar circumstances.

Wondering if you could share one or two more bits of information - as co-registrants did you both need to be present for delivery of the vehicle? Finally, if you financed the car, did you both need to be applicants on the loan?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Hi did anyone try to add a co owner on title that is eligible for fed tax credit but didn't have them on registration? Is there a way to do this on app?
There's definitely no way to do this in the app. I'm 99% certain there's no way to do what you're asking period. CA DMV registration lists the "registered owner(s)" - i.e. those whose names are on the vehicle title. There's no way to be on one but not the other (lien holders excepted).

So your not eligible because of???
Consumers are not eligible for CVRP rebates if their gross annual incomes are above the thresholds listed below. The income cap applies to all eligible vehicle types except fuel cell electric vehicles.

Date of Vehicle Purchase/LeaseIncome Cap
On/after February 24, 2022
  • $135,000 for single filers
  • $175,000 for head-of-household
  • $200,000 for joint filers

Last edited:
Precisely! I gave them MY ssn.

The primary collects the CVRP rebate. The secondary co-owner collects the tax credit.
Was your secondary co-owner listed on the clean vehicle seller's report? I believe only one taxpayer may be listed on the seller's report and the credit would be allowed only on the tax return of the owner listed in the seller’s report. My mom is a co-owner with me on my Tesla, she is the registered co-owner on the registration papers, but I'm the only one listed on the clean vehicle seller's Report. I don't qualify for the tax credit but my mom does. How did you go about this, who was listed on the seller's Report?

Was your secondary co-owner listed on the clean vehicle seller's report? I believe only one taxpayer may be listed on the seller's report and the credit would be allowed only on the tax return of the owner listed in the seller’s report. My mom is a co-owner with me on my Tesla, she is the registered co-owner on the registration papers, but I'm the only one listed on the clean vehicle seller's Report. I don't qualify for the tax credit but my mom does. How did you go about this, who was listed on the seller's Report?
I haven't done my taxes this year yet, but my co-owner (mom) is not listed on the clean vehicle sellers report; just my name. However, I used her name for CVRP and she just got the check this week (submitted in July 2023). I plan to use my name for the federal tax rebate.

No idea what you mean by sellers report. But if you’re talking the sales contract, yes two owners are listed. All I know is I ordered the car under my name first and my mom as co-owner. Submitted the paperwork to CVRP just using my mom’s name only on the application and CVRP paid to my mom, even though only my name Is on the Tesla order agreement which they care about (because that’s the ordering date). They Later, it turns out, because I asked to make my mom the “primary” after the order date, they didn’t update the order agreement paperwork but the contract paperwork shows my mom now being primary. So now a year later, Tesla generates the IRS paperwork which shows my mom as qualifying for the tax credit.

Everything worked out.

Last edited: