Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can headlights go "on" permanently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the exact same question. I think my Tesla would be safer if the headlights come on automatically with starting my car, as they do in Canada (by law). I had a service call and they confirmed that this cannot be done. It doesn’t sound like they even have it on their list for future upgrades. And I saw someone’s suggestion about the running day lights but this is not a good option because if you have those on then the actual headlights do not come on automatically! And you still have to turn the running day lights on every time so not much of a help.
Our DRL’s are automatic by law, not our headlights.
Have been since at least the 90’s.

you know there are daylight running lights on the car right? Serves the exact purpose why you want the headlights on.
Many auto-on headlights do not turn on the rear lights.
For example in low light conditions during the day time (like maybe rain), you'll notice cars ahead of you on the highway and they do not seem to have their lights on. However, when you pass that car and check the front, they often have their front headlights on. This makes no sense to me. If my lights are on, I want front and rear to be on so I can be seen from behind on the highway and from in front at non-highway roads where cars are oncoming and turning across me.
Do the autolights on my 2023MYLR activate front and back? Anybody know? I have not tested but habitually turn on manually at all times.

Reactions: OxBrew
Many auto-on headlights do not turn on the rear lights.
For example in low light conditions during the day time (like maybe rain), you'll notice cars ahead of you on the highway and they do not seem to have their lights on. However, when you pass that car and check the front, they often have their front headlights on. This makes no sense to me. If my lights are on, I want front and rear to be on so I can be seen from behind on the highway and from in front at non-highway roads where cars are oncoming and turning across me.
Do the autolights on my 2023MYLR activate front and back? Anybody know? I have not tested but habitually turn on manually at all times.
Most likely, you are seeing other cars' daytime running lights, not normal headlights on.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Many people don't realize that your taillights are also off when your headlights are off. When your headlights are on your taillights are on 'dim' mode to help other drivers see you from behind even when you are not slowing down. DRL isn't going to help with your rear visibility.

One morning during heavy rain I was behind another Model Y and realized that both of us were hard to see by drivers behind because the taillights are off. I had to turn the headlights on manually and it was kind of embarrassing.

Many people don't realize that your taillights are also off when your headlights are off. When your headlights are on your taillights are on 'dim' mode to help other drivers see you from behind even when you are not slowing down. DRL isn't going to help with your rear visibility.

One morning during heavy rain I was behind another Model Y and realized that both of us were hard to see by drivers behind because the taillights are off. I had to turn the headlights on manually and it was kind of embarrassing.

And when it rains it’s mandated to have the headlights on at least in my state. You’re not going to get an argument from me that having the taillights on helps with spotting other cars in cases of when visibility is restricted( rain, fog, etc). But it doesn’t mean headlights should be permanently on. My previous car with auto headlights would automatically turn on the headlights if the wipers were on.

Many people probably don’t realize their cars have DRL’s. They probably don’t even know what low and high beams are given how many times I keep on getting blinded by oncoming drivers. I’m starting to think I’ll leave my high beams on until the other driver goes to their low beams. I’m tired of being the only considerate person while I still am getting blinded.

It would be nice to have a 4-position toggle for the headlights - Auto, Auto with Wipers, On, On Full Time. Seems like a simple thing to do. Or even enable voice command for the lights which for the life of me, I don't understand why we don't have already.

I don't understand what you're saying. There's no 'dim' mode for tail lights; they're either on or off. If you're saying they're dimmer than brake lights, well yes, but ... those are brake lights, not tail lights

Also when you say
Many people don't realize that your taillights are also off when your headlights are off
well I shudder to think that they also have driving licenses ... but you're probably right :oops:

Tesla should add two things:
1) Lights come on when wipers are on when in Auto mode (even if light levels aren't detected to be low enough to turn them on)
2) If one sets the lights to ON, they should just turn off when car is locked, key is away. As it is now if you set to ON the car beeps at you and tells you to turn them off. On my previous car I could use AUTO or ON. Even with ON the lights would turn off when the car auto-locked as I walked away with the key fob.

My preference would be to just leave the lights ON all the time and have them shut off automatically when I walk away with the key. I think it is safer to have the tail light on all the time regardless of weather. Also I wouldn't have the Auto lights going on and off sporadically as I drive through a shadowed area and back into the sun.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 3.54.46 PM.png

Well looks like Tesla listened to me referencing wipers being on turned on the headlights in previous cars and implemented it. ;)

Reactions: fsb1 and exxxviii
Well except that a lot of motorcyclists are idiots who think that if some light is good ... more must be better!

So they drive around with their high beam on dazzling all oncoming road users and consequently making themselves LESS safe

Oddly cyclists often do the same with thousand lumen front lights that they point directly in oncoming windshields rather than on the road (but who likes cyclists anyway? 🤡 )

Two downvotes!

ok, I'll take back the crack about "who likes cyclists anyway?", but other than that, do you think this doesn't happen?