Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Homelink be installed by Mobile Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to set up a mobile service appointment to have home link installed through the app. Tesla contacted me to tell me that they cannot do it via mobile service so I had to bring it to one of their centers. I was wondering if this is something new? I know in the past it was done via mobile.

My understanding is that they need to capture the signal between your remote and the door opener.
This can only happen at your home.
That's something you need to do. You go into the menu on the screen after it's installed and you can set it up to open or close a specific door. Mobile service's job is just to get the hardware into the vehicle and they do not need access to the garage door to do this.

Upvote 0
Mine is almost two years old, back then they shipped it to the house and the box had warnings on the outside that you shouldn't even open the box on your own, instead wait for the Ranger to come to your house and install it.

This is what I see today on shop.tesla.com today:
Note: To confirm compatibility, select your vehicle model from the drop-down menu. Price includes shipment to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation. Once you have completed checkout for this item, please schedule a Service appointment for installation in your Tesla app. For additional information about scheduling your Service appointment, visit Shop FAQ.
That sounds to me like you should schedule the install right after ordering, without waiting for any notice.

Upvote 0
Mine is almost two years old, back then they shipped it to the house and the box had warnings on the outside that you shouldn't even open the box on your own, instead wait for the Ranger to come to your house and install it.

This is what I see today on shop.tesla.com today:

That sounds to me like you should schedule the install right after ordering, without waiting for any notice.

This was exactly what I did. Placed the order, and right after scheduled the service. On my service appointment date I went in, and there was some confusion around whether I should have waited until it showed shipped, but since I had it delivered straight to the service center all it said was (sent to service center) in my account. They ended up saying they had one in stock, and just did it for me.

I guess some people will ship it to themselves and go in with it.

Upvote 0