Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I cancel my order if I’m in the install phase??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Powerwall in March, went through all the steps, and got an install date for Oct 1st. Then 1 week before my install date I got an email that they had to move my install date to January 11, 2021!! I’m bummed because now I won’t qualify for the same tax credit, and I’m losing faith on if I’ll even get that install date. But, since I’ve signed the purchase agreement, and Tesla already got my permits (allegedly), can I cancel my powerwall? I don’t care about losing the $100 deposit, but I don’t want to be financially obligated to more. We were going to have to void our existing solar panel warranty (from Sunrun). Now I’m feeling like the out of pocket expenses and reduced tax credit isn’t worth the moving targets that Tesla is sending me.
On a side note - the space where we assume Tesla will install the powerwall gets full sun on it for 1/2 the day. I’m wondering if that’s dangerous to have the sun beating on the powerwall?

I would suggest first re-reading your contract and other documentation from Tesla, and then calling them. In particular, with the contract, do they provide an estimated install time? Also, with other documentation from Tesla, to they mention the tax credit? These both could potentially help in pointing out where Tesla did not live up to its end of the agreement - particularly the install time (since the credit is likely noted as an estimate/not guaranteed.) Given the demand for PWs, they may well be willing to cancel for no more than the $100 deposit, and I think the delays are a good reason for you to back out (and really to get your $100 back, assuming they pulled the permits before letting you know about the new date.)

It sounds like you may be leaning towards canceling, but the other thing you can do is ask Tesla to credit you the difference in the tax credit (4% - so I'm guessing in the area of $400 for 1 PW, installed.) Last year, there were individuals who were able to get Tesla to do this for jobs that slipped from 2019 to 2020. It is unknown if they will do that this year, but it is possible. I believe they had to pay full contract price and then Tesla would issue a refund (so make sure you get the promise in writing.)

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I ordered my Powerwall in March, went through all the steps, and got an install date for Oct 1st. Then 1 week before my install date I got an email that they had to move my install date to January 11, 2021!! I’m bummed because now I won’t qualify for the same tax credit, and I’m losing faith on if I’ll even get that install date. But, since I’ve signed the purchase agreement, and Tesla already got my permits (allegedly), can I cancel my powerwall? I don’t care about losing the $100 deposit, but I don’t want to be financially obligated to more. We were going to have to void our existing solar panel warranty (from Sunrun). Now I’m feeling like the out of pocket expenses and reduced tax credit isn’t worth the moving targets that Tesla is sending me.
On a side note - the space where we assume Tesla will install the powerwall gets full sun on it for 1/2 the day. I’m wondering if that’s dangerous to have the sun beating on the powerwall?

Sorry this happened. Did they give an explanation on why they had to delay your install by three months? That is a bit excessive.

With solar you can cancel for refund up to 7 days after they flip the switch, I would assume you can do so with Powerwalls.

I would take the angle suggested above and contact them about the 4% hit you're taking. Also, keep in mind the backlog in Powerwalls is mostly for urgent needs in response to catastrophic disasters like the hurricanes that affected Puerto Rico and the fires in CA/OR. Some slack should be given on our side as well.

Reactions: jboy210
With solar you can cancel for refund up to 7 days after they flip the switch, I would assume you can do so with Powerwalls.

I would take the angle suggested above and contact them about the 4% hit you're taking. Also, keep in mind the backlog in Powerwalls is mostly for urgent needs in response to catastrophic disasters like the hurricanes that affected Puerto Rico and the fires in CA/OR. Some slack should be given on our side as well.

I heard that some people with a qualified medical need for backup power were moved up. In general, Powerwalls supplies have been constrained since late last year. Hopefully, the new battery manufacturing capability that Tesla just announced will help increase supply over the next few years.

We've heard from a number of people including third party installer that PWs have been in short supply starting around mid year and orders were being pushed out to early next year for install of the powerwalls. Solar is a different case. Is this just a PW install as opposed to a combo solar/PW order?

I can see Tesla giving priority to people in more urgent need of a steady supply of electricity if they live in a high fire danger area and in need of electricty for medical or water pump needs. Like others have said above, people in 2019 that had their PW installs pushed into first part of 2020, one of our neighbors was in this situation (ordered in Oct but got his PWs installed in March), asked and were sent a check for the difference in federal credit. I'd suggest calling your Advisor and asking. I've found them to be pretty fair so wouldn't be surprised if they will compensate you for the difference.

I'm not sure but I believe you have to have enough tax liability to claim the credit on your tax return not unlike getting one for buying an EV. Sure someone on here knows for sure though. We just got our install (solar/PWs) last month so haven't had to file yet.

I'm not sure but I believe you have to have enough tax liability to claim the credit on your tax return not unlike getting one for buying an EV. Sure someone on here knows for sure though. We just got our install (solar/PWs) last month so haven't had to file yet.
You can actually carry the ITC forward if you don't have enough tax liability (see lines 12 and 16 in the 2019 form - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf - where you can enter amounts from 2018 and carry amounts to 2020.) Note, however, that you should do further investigation on what happens after 2021 when the residential ITC credit ends - I do not know if there will be a way to claim it after that.