Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I charge with 350 volts (Image of NEMA attached)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_2014-02-22-20-46-50.png

I have the attached NEMA 10-30 at home but it shows 350 volts and 30 amps. The specs on Teslas website show 240 volts and 25 amps.

Can I safely use this with the 10-30 adapter? Any ideas on what this difference in volts/amps will do?

If it's really 350V, no way should try plugging anything into it. But that outlet is supposed to have 240v, and in a typical house, you couldn't possibly get much more than 240, so I'm wondering where this is, and if it's really 350v.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I see, it's rated for 350, but it's almost certainly hooked up to 240, so it should be ok.

Looks to be just the rating for the socket/receptacle, nothing to do with what's coming out. If the voltage really turns out incompatible, the car will simply not charge.

A quick googling shows this should be a Leviton 5207 Dryer socket (10-30, 30A 125/250V), I think there's a scratch on the "250" of your's that makes it look like "350":
rHbwr.jpg

It's an old house from the 1950's. Not sure if that matters, but I guess I should just pay to get it tested...

If it's really 350V, no way should try plugging anything into it. But that outlet is supposed to have 240v, and in a typical house, you couldn't possibly get much more than 240, so I'm wondering where this is, and if it's really 350v.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I see, it's rated for 350, but it's almost certainly hooked up to 240, so it should be ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll double check. So the 6 extra amps shouldn't matter?

A quick googling shows this should be a Leviton 5207 Dryer socket (10-30, 30A 125/250V), I think there's a scratch on the "250" of your's that makes it look like "350":
rHbwr.jpg

It's an old house from the 1950's. Not sure if that matters, but I guess I should just pay to get it tested...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll double check. So the 6 extra amps shouldn't matter?

Just look closer at the plug. There's no way that's a 350V outlet. It's just a standard 10-30 3-prong dryer outlet. No need to test it (waste money), since there's very little chance a house could provide 350VAC to anything. An electrician would just laugh as he took your money.

As for the "extra 6 amps", you car can take 40, unless you have twin chargers which would be 80. If you have the 10-30 adapter for your UMC, it will automatically dial down the charging amps to 24 (80% of 30A) for sustained loads over 1 hour.

Also, where are you in Texas?

pluggy.jpg

I think there's a scratch on the "250" of your's that makes it look like "350":

This.

There's no such thing as 350v outlet. No need to pay someone unless you're worried it's an old circuit that hasn't been used for years. You can test with a good quality voltmeter. If there's a problem the car will protect itself in any case.

P.S. The outlet looks pretty dusty, I'd recommend to flip the breaker and remove the face plate, give it a good clean inside to make sure it's not clogged up with dirt or debris.

Just get a can of compressed air and blow it out. Yes, Tesla's 10-30 adapter will work fine with this plug and you'll get a fast enough charge for overnight charging. First few times charging, I would go to the electrical panel and make sure the breaker isn't getting hot. Breakers do go bad over time.