TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can I charge with 350 volts (Image of NEMA attached)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by FaceACA, Feb 22, 2014.

1. FaceACA

FaceACA Member

Screenshot_2014-02-22-20-46-50.png

I have the attached NEMA 10-30 at home but it shows 350 volts and 30 amps. The specs on Teslas website show 240 volts and 25 amps.

Can I safely use this with the 10-30 adapter? Any ideas on what this difference in volts/amps will do?

2. markb1

markb1 Active Member

If it's really 350V, no way should try plugging anything into it. But that outlet is supposed to have 240v, and in a typical house, you couldn't possibly get much more than 240, so I'm wondering where this is, and if it's really 350v.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I see, it's rated for 350, but it's almost certainly hooked up to 240, so it should be ok.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Looks to be just the rating for the socket/receptacle, nothing to do with what's coming out. If the voltage really turns out incompatible, the car will simply not charge.

A quick googling shows this should be a Leviton 5207 Dryer socket (10-30, 30A 125/250V), I think there's a scratch on the "250" of your's that makes it look like "350":
    rHbwr.jpg

4. FaceACA

FaceACA Member

It's an old house from the 1950's. Not sure if that matters, but I guess I should just pay to get it tested...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll double check. So the 6 extra amps shouldn't matter?

5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Just look closer at the plug. There's no way that's a 350V outlet. It's just a standard 10-30 3-prong dryer outlet. No need to test it (waste money), since there's very little chance a house could provide 350VAC to anything. An electrician would just laugh as he took your money.

As for the "extra 6 amps", you car can take 40, unless you have twin chargers which would be 80. If you have the 10-30 adapter for your UMC, it will automatically dial down the charging amps to 24 (80% of 30A) for sustained loads over 1 hour.

Also, where are you in Texas?

pluggy.jpg

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This.

There's no such thing as 350v outlet. No need to pay someone unless you're worried it's an old circuit that hasn't been used for years. You can test with a good quality voltmeter. If there's a problem the car will protect itself in any case.

P.S. The outlet looks pretty dusty, I'd recommend to flip the breaker and remove the face plate, give it a good clean inside to make sure it's not clogged up with dirt or debris.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Just get a can of compressed air and blow it out. Yes, Tesla's 10-30 adapter will work fine with this plug and you'll get a fast enough charge for overnight charging. First few times charging, I would go to the electrical panel and make sure the breaker isn't getting hot. Breakers do go bad over time.