Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I drive car without TMPS sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can absolutely drive the vehicle without the TPMS sensors, you will get a warning on the dash, but it will not affect driving or the function of the vehicle. Just remember to check your tires visually and occasionally with a tire pressure gauge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I got some winter wheels/tires online and opted to save myself 450.00 and go without the sensors like yourself.

It has no negative effect to run without them, like others said, but I will say the TPMS fault error on the screen is incredibly annoying. Even if you swipe it to the left to minimize it to an ICON, it will come back in a min or so. At this point, I'm not going to have the tire re-mounted just for that, but when I need new tires, I will 100% be getting some cheap TPMS if they can be had as cheap as morbidz said

edit: I would recommend adding them if you can get them cheap, if for nothing else than the convenience of knowing when you have a tire leak and to save yourself from the annoying fault message

Reactions: arrow7
ya know, It occurred to me that making some sort of TPMS spoofer would be possible that sends bogus signals to the car. Turns out someone already did!
That spoofer is designed for older 315MHz TPMS sensors.
Newer Tesla sensors are Bluetooth, and this spoofer would do nothing. It also might not even work on older cars as transmitting a signal from a fixed location on the car will not make sense to the receivers.

Plus, older sensors are about $50 for a set as the OP pointed out, so it's kind of pointless. The Tesla doesn't need a trip to the dealer to switch TPMS when you switch wheels like some older cars did, just swap the tires and drive a few miles.

Ironically, you can probably build a bluetooth TPMS spoofer for under $5 with an ESP32 if you know how to code and had the Tesla protocol, so it's cheaper to spoof with modern insane volume hardware, but it's a harder software task.

Reactions: CCopperpot