Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I transfer my RWD M3 2020 winter mags and tires to my new RWD MY 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a new 2023 RWD Model Y By trading in my 2020 RWD Model 3. I had purchased new 18” mags with winter tires. My new MY has 19“ tires that come with the car.

my question is….. can I use my winter 18” winter mags from my previous 2020 RWD M3 to my new 2023 RWD MY?

You have the car and the wheels... wouldn't it be faster to try it out for yourself?

Additionally, there might be some details you can only see in person... so it would be best to try it out for yourself anyway.

Do a test fit and slowly spin the wheel around to make sure nothing is contacting anything else.

The wheels should fit, but the tires will be a bit short. There’s no reason they wouldn’t work, but you’ll have a 6% speedo error.

You could reuse the wheels and buy taller tires. I run 235/60r18 snow tires on an 18” set of wheels I bought for my Model 3. Clearance around the rotors was tight, and I had to adjust the position of the wheel weights.

1688336561828.png

You have the car and the wheels... wouldn't it be faster to try it out for yourself?

Additionally, there might be some details you can only see in person... so it would be best to try it out for yourself anyway.

Do a test fit and slowly spin the wheel around to make sure nothing is contacting anything else.
Thanks, try to find a garage that will give them a try for me.

The wheels should fit, but the tires will be a bit short. There’s no reason they wouldn’t work, but you’ll have a 6% speedo error.

You could reuse the wheels and buy taller tires. I run 235/60r18 snow tires on an 18” set of wheels I bought for my Model 3. Clearance around the rotors was tight, and I had to adjust the position of the wheel weights.

View attachment 952718
Thank you for the visual chart. It will help.

Reactions: TomB985

just curious - but is this simply an issue of speedo error and a 0.8inch reduction in ground clearance? I have a set of nearly new 235/45r18 Pirelli winter tyres (no wheels) sitting in the garage (from when I had a M3). I’m being offered a set of M3 18” aero wheels for a good price, and would ideally like to use the tyres i have - just for occasional winter use - on the MY. I can live with them looking a little silly and a 6% speedo error (im aware of load limitations) - but other than this is there any reason not to do it?

Obviously if I was buying tyres - I’d go for 245/50r18 or similar to increase diameter - but i already have what I have. It looks like the winter tyres are much more readily available and cheaper in 18s than the 20s I have - so im thinking use what I have in the short term and then in the long term I would just replace with 245/50r18