Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can my 2015 MS 70D be upgraded to 75?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, Tesla is selling batteries for ~22.5k.

If you mean the software unlock, then I doubt it. I think the 75D came out after 2015 ended (I could be remembering wrong).

I'd call Tesla and ask about your specific VIN number.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
Me said today a Tesla seller if a 70D is first time registered, he can no longer be unlocked to 75D.

Pretty sure that's not correct - I know that the software limited 60s can be unlocked at a later date, and I would assume the same is true for software limited 70s.

However, Tesla built real 70s for a long time before they built the software limited cars, and if the OP has a 2015, it is almost certainly actually a 70 kWh pack, with nothing to unlock.

That would mean the only way to upgrade it is to replace the pack, something Tesla has talked about a few times but had so far been hesitant to actually do.

I expect that will change in a couple years, but I could be wrong...

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Petra
That would mean the only way to upgrade it is to replace the pack, something Tesla has talked about a few times but had so far been hesitant to actually do.
I think that statement is a little misleading.
-They said it costs $22,500 to replace an 85kwh to a 90kwh pack.
-They said that currently they are not allowing replacing a 60/70kwh packs.

I don't think anyone in their right minds would pay $22,500 ($25,000 - $2,500 core return fee) for an extra 5kwh of range. But who knows.