Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can No Longer Login to TEG Home IP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ethernet only is the way to go. 2-4 months since turning off wifi and have not had any issues connection. With Wifi enabled and ethernet connected had issues ever 2-3 days.

yeah, i have a new AP coming today from amazon that i'm going to use in client mode to get an ethernet connection to it. the wifi signal is strong enough that doing it that way should be fine, if i need to run an actual ethernet drop i'll cross that bridge when i come to it...but i think just the wireless uplink should be fine.

the next question will be: how do i make sure everything is dead inside the box before i open it to run the cable...?

Ethernet only is the way to go. 2-4 months since turning off wifi and have not had any issues connection. With Wifi enabled and ethernet connected had issues ever 2-3 days.
I ditched my 12 year old router and went with a pair of ASUS zen wifi units and have had no issues with dropping connectivity since. I didn't bother to run an internet cable to the TEG since the connection seems fine after the upgrade.

I ditched my 12 year old router and went with a pair of ASUS zen wifi units and have had no issues with dropping connectivity since. I didn't bother to run an internet cable to the TEG since the connection seems fine after the upgrade.

this isn't my issue. i've got a quad core i5 pfsense box as the router and three unifi APs. my entire house is blanketed. it still sucks.

Mine was fine with Ethernet and Wifi connected for over a year, but then it started freezing. Since I had the Ethernet cable connected, I deleted the Wifi connected as suggested here and instantly the issues disappeared.

Reactions: jgleigh
this isn't my issue. i've got a quad core i5 pfsense box as the router and three unifi APs. my entire house is blanketed. it still sucks.
If you can do Ethernet-only try that. I have a Switch in the garage 4 feet from the Gateway. The switch has one cable running to a Unifi 6 AP 1 foot away and another cable that runs to the Gateway.

Reactions: crackers8199
If you can do Ethernet-only try that. I have a Switch in the garage 4 feet from the Gateway. The switch has one cable running to a Unifi 6 AP 1 foot away and another cable that runs to the Gateway.

this is what i'm going to do, but using a wireless uplink. like i said, getting an ethernet drop to the garage isn't really all that easy at the moment...but with a non-garbage AP, the wireless uplink shouldn't be an issue.

my only concern is opening up the box and potentially electrocuting myself when taking out the knockout to get the ethernet cable into the gateway itself.

Reactions: jboy210
this is what i'm going to do, but using a wireless uplink. like i said, getting an ethernet drop to the garage isn't really all that easy at the moment...but with a non-garbage AP, the wireless uplink shouldn't be an issue.

my only concern is opening up the box and potentially electrocuting myself when taking out the knockout to get the ethernet cable into the gateway itself.
You could run the cable to the box and could hire an electrician to plug it in install a plug or other weatherproofing.

I kind of did that with the Tesla guys during our install. I dropped the Ethernet cable on the inside of the wall. They drilled a hole, ran it through the wall and into the Gateway box mounted on the outside, and plugged it into the Gateway. They also sealed all of the openings for the ethernet cable. All I had to do is plug the other end of cable into my switch.

You could run the cable to the box and could hire an electrician to plug it in install a plug or other weatherproofing.

I kind of did that with the Tesla guys during our install. I dropped the Ethernet cable on the inside of the wall. They drilled a hole, ran it through the wall and into the Gateway box mounted on the outside, and plugged it into the Gateway. They also sealed all of the openings for the ethernet cable. All I had to do is plug the other end of cable into my switch.

seems like such overkill to pay an electrician just to plug in an Ethernet cable. I'm fine working inside the box as long as I know how to turn everything off...that's the part I'm not sure of at the moment.

waterproofing isn't an issue, the TEG is inside my garage.

Oh, you guys are awesome. Finally, I can access my TEG from my network!
I enabled a static route on my ASUS ZEN WIFI!
I had ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE when I tried to connect to the IP that is assigned to my TEG. I'm using ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) which have dual band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz. When I had Orbi router, I was able to connect to it. But because Orbi can't seperate 2.4Ghz/5Ghz with seperate ssid, it bounces 2.4Ghz/5Ghz and causes connection lost to the TEG quite frequently. And ever since changing to ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8), I was able to connect to my TEG. Until I found this post and added a static route! THANK YOU!!!! Now... I can try to setup home assistant!

Reactions: BGbreeder