Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can only charge at 99%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately I can only charge up to 99%.
I used to be able to charge 100% but not anymore.
I've tried both the slider on the iPhone app as well as the center display.
When I recieved my 70D the 100% was 232miles now the 99% is 228 miles.

What could it be?
I thought even with degradation of battery it would still show 100% at full charge

The car should still charge to 100% if you leave it charging long enough. When you get up to 99%, the battery pack starts to "balance" very slowly which can take a while. There are several threads on pack balancing on TMC. As for degradation of range, the most seems to happen during the first year then the rate slows after that.

I charge at 100% once a week when I have a 280 miles commute. On that same trip I get down to 5-10% then I charge at A supercharger then I get back home with 15% battery left.
Daily I charge at 75%

I don't know exactly how long it has been sitting at 99% and plugged it. I move the battery charge level to 100% the night before and in the morning was at 99%.

So the following week instead of using the iPhone app to move the charging limit bar I used he dash and the following morning was also at 99%.
I would say on both instances the car has been sitting at that level at least 5-6 hours overnight.
I normally plug it at 9pm and I should have reached full charge around midnight or 1am.

I charge at 100% once a week when I have a 280 miles commute. On that same trip I get down to 5-10% then I charge at A supercharger then I get back home with 15% battery left.
Daily I charge at 75%

I don't know exactly how long it has been sitting at 99% and plugged it. I move the battery charge level to 100% the night before and in the morning was at 99%.

So the following week instead of using the iPhone app to move the charging limit bar I used he dash and the following morning was also at 99%.
I would say on both instances the car has been sitting at that level at least 5-6 hours overnight.
I normally plug it at 9pm and I should have reached full charge around midnight or 1am.

The 99% is just from vampire drain then.

I would use the timer so that it will finish closer to your departure time.

Today ileft the car plugged in charging 24 hours and still got to 99 % only.

I've experienced vampire drain when the car is unplugged for a long time (even if minimal) however my schedule did not change over the past few months and the day of the long commute I used to find the car at 100%...

I've a service coming up I will ask the tech about it.

Lately I can only charge up to 99%.
I used to be able to charge 100% but not anymore.
I've tried both the slider on the iPhone app as well as the center display.
When I recieved my 70D the 100% was 232miles now the 99% is 228 miles.

What could it be?
I thought even with degradation of battery it would still show 100% at full charge

That is definitely odd. My 70D started new at 242, dropped to 240, and right now is 236 after a year. May pop back up some I think in warmer weather months and with newer more optimistic software for now. Then again, it always seems to drop faster than rated anyway so isn't really accurate.

I've done 3-5 100% charges I'd say. First couple took a long time to get to 100%, almost 30 minutes on one, an hour or so on another, charging at around 1amp or so for a while - had to give up even. The last few made it to 100% pretty immediately though.

This has somehow magically fixed itself.
I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but over the past few days I've been able to charge at 100% with no problem and range is up to 234. I've been on a long road trip over the holiday weekend and I charged at multiple destination chargers and superchargers @100%.
Maybe it was just a balancing issue that needed a very slow long charge to accomplish it.

This has somehow magically fixed itself.
I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but over the past few days I've been able to charge at 100% with no problem and range is up to 234. I've been on a long road trip over the holiday weekend and I charged at multiple destination chargers and superchargers @100%.
Maybe it was just a balancing issue that needed a very slow long charge to accomplish it.
This same thing has happened to me twice in the last 3 months and it recalibrated itself eventually. Weird.