Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can owners that purchased $2K AP confirm if Auto Lane Change is included please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I’m getting ready to place my Model 3 order, and I’m trying to decide if FSD is worth it?

So if I understand correctly, everyone is saying Auto Lane Change is now part of the $5000 FSD package and is not included in the base $3000 Autopilot..?

I definitely want the $3000 autopilot, for the fancy cruise control and AutoSteer. But I really like the Auto Lane Change feature.

But the majority of the FSD package I don’t care about! I don’t care about Summon, or Auto-Park, and Navigate on Autopilot is not important either...

So do I splurge an extra $5000 for FSD, just so I can have Auto Lane Change?
Or hold off and hope they move it back to basic AP (like with EAP), or maybe offer it as an a-la-carte add on later for $1000 or so??

PS. This is my 1st post on here, so go easy on me. ;)

Hi all,
I’m getting ready to place my Model 3 order, and I’m trying to decide if FSD is worth it?

So if I understand correctly, everyone is saying Auto Lane Change is now part of the $5000 FSD package and is not included in the base $3000 Autopilot..?

I definitely want the $3000 autopilot, for the fancy cruise control and AutoSteer. But I really like the Auto Lane Change feature.

But the majority of the FSD package I don’t care about! I don’t care about Summon, or Auto-Park, and Navigate on Autopilot is not important either...

Or hold off and hope they move it back to basic AP (like with EAP), or maybe offer it as an a-la-carte add on later for $1000 or so??

I just used basic AP today, and FSD is definitely not worth it if you only want auto lane change. Navigate on AP is still very clumsy (have it in my other car). Personally, I find the software very expensive. The old EAP package was more reasonable. Now they force you to buy both for the same features.

what you'll see is it's not part of the basic AP package.

You can also see this on tesla.com in the description of the feature- it's autosteer and TACC only.

Where on tesla.com are you seeing this?

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, the Autopilot video tutorial explicitly states to the use turn signals to engage ALC, and demonstrates how it works..

The purchase screen doesn't list ALC in either AP or FSD.

Autopilot-Upgrades-Screen-1024x677_grande.png

I, for one, was expecting ALC as part of the AP package. I feel kind of ripped off that it isn't

Where on tesla.com are you seeing this?

In the configurator for a new model 3, in the description of autopilot.

No mention of ALC, or anything suggesting that feature, is listed.

Whereas FSD includes features that require ALC (Nav on AP for example)

Just to clarify here when you say auto lane change its doing so with no intervention at all?
Last time I drove my car I always needed to "approve" the lane change with the turn signal or drive selector stalk

So there's 3 things.

1) Driver initiated automatic lane change. You're just driving on autosteer/TACC and hit the turn signal. Car changes lanes in the direction you picked. This was part of EAP (now it's FSD)

2) Navigate on Autopilot- current version. 1 still works- but now also the car suggests lane changes which you can confirm with the AP stick or the turn signal stick. This was part of EAP (now it's FSD)

3) Same as 2, but no driver confirmation required. This is in testing now, rolling out fleetwide soon... it MAY go to EAP owners, and definitely does to FSD owners.

None of these are in the new, cheaper, AP, which is JUST autosteer/TACC.

So there's 3 things.

1) Driver initiated automatic lane change. You're just driving on autosteer/TACC and hit the turn signal. Car changes lanes in the direction you picked. This was part of EAP (now it's FSD)

2) Navigate on Autopilot- current version. 1 still works- but now also the car suggests lane changes which you can confirm with the AP stick or the turn signal stick. This was part of EAP (now it's FSD)

3) Same as 2, but no driver confirmation required. This is in testing now, rolling out fleetwide soon... it MAY go to EAP owners, and definitely does to FSD owners.
Thanks yes I was referring to 1 and 2. With the dodgyness if both of these options I don't want the car doing anything automatically without an approval

In the configurator for a new model 3, in the description of autopilot.

No mention of ALC, or anything suggesting that feature, is listed.

Whereas FSD includes features that require ALC (Nav on AP for example)

That's the same verbiage from the order screen that I showed above. ALC isn't listed in either package.

I don't think you can argue that because FSD includes features that require ALC, then ALC must be an exclusive feature of FSD. FSD includes features that require all AP functions (Autosteer for example). FSD requires AP, after all.

However, when you watch the online video tutorial of Autopilot, they explicitly show ALC functionality.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

First time posting. I have been reading mixed postings regarding the new $2K AP regarding Auto Lane Change when using the blinker stick. Can owners that actually purchased and finally got the new $2K AP update installed chime in if that is in fact included or not? Thanks!
What you probably saw were posts from several people like me. I added it to my 12/2016 S at the beginning of the sale, but got full EAP features instead. I suspect it was because I had a EAP trial a year ago and Tesla probably mistakenly activated based on that trial. I don’t know if Tesla would have corrected their mistake because a week or so later I bought FSD.

That's the same verbiage from the order screen that I showed above. ALC isn't listed in either package.

Then why would you expect to get ALC in a package that doesn't list it, or make any reference to it at all?

I don't think you can argue that because FSD includes features that require ALC, then ALC must be an exclusive feature of FSD.

I didn't say it was exclusive. (EAP also has it, but is not for sale anymore).

I said that other things FSD includes require ALC.

Therefore you know that if you have FSD, you have ALC even though it's not called out.

in contrast- basic AP does not include ALC, either explicitly, nor as a requirement/part of any of the features it does explicitly list.

Hi all,

While the auto lane change feature is definitely nice, it really does depend on what type of application you'd be using it for. Is it for the short highway drive to work, only for the weekend roadtrip, etc? Personally speaking, TACC alone is a great benefit for shorter drives but I do have hope that auto lane change will get re-bundled with autopilot in time.

Reactions: HyperionMark
We purchased AP before the price hike, and my car no longer does ALC. Austin from tech support said it's no longer included in AP.

Pretty upset as forking over 2k for what is essentially lane assist (that they dont charge extra for on other vehicles) is ridiculous.

traditional lane assist in most cars is like what you had even without AP, the car notices if your drifting and will nudge you back if it senses an impending collision. I'm not aware of any 'lane assist' only packages that also steer the car and keep it center at all times.

Then why would you expect to get ALC in a package that doesn't list it, or make any reference to it at all?
Because before I clicked on the shop for Autopilot Upgrades from my account screen (below), I clicked on the Autopilot Overview button, which took me to the autopilot section of the support page on tesla.com. (Model 3 Support | Tesla). It includes a video demonstration of how to engage various autopilot features. It includes how to engage ALC with the turn signal. (FTR the video shows no features that are explicitly part of FSD (NoA, Summon, Autopark, etc). I think is completely reasonable to expect that all of the autopilot features demonstrated are part of autopilot.

Clipboard01.png

I didn't say it was exclusive. (EAP also has it, but is not for sale anymore).
I assumed we were discussing Tesla's current offerings.

I said that other things FSD includes require ALC.

Therefore you know that if you have FSD, you have ALC even though it's not called out.
Well of course you know that if you have FSD, you have ALC. FSD includes every feature that Tesla has announced (current and future). ALC is definitely part of everything.

However, based on the verbiage alone you cannot be certain whether its a standard AP feature or a premium FSD feature...because it isn't explicitly included in either package. Tesla made it unclear, which is leading to customer confusion, which is leading to sore feelings.

in contrast- basic AP does not include ALC, either explicitly, nor as a requirement/part of any of the features it does explicitly list.
I refer you to the video, which explicitly shows it as one of the autopilot functions:
Capture.PNG

• Love
Reactions: jsmay311
Hi all,
For what it's worth, I was faced with the same dilemma and ended up skipping FSD for now. ALC is definitely cool (a coworker took me for a ride in his 3 and showed it off) but the other features look like they need more time in the oven. For my daily use it wouldn't come into play often other than showing off, but your case may make it more worthwhile.

Mostly just using it for a daily commute. Maybe take 2 or 3 longer trips a year in it. So yeah, I don’t think the $5000 FSD is worth it for me right now (just to get AutoLaneChange).

I wish they would offer all FSD items a la carte like $1500 for summon only, or $2000 for Auto-Park, $1500 for Navigate on Autopilot, $1000 for Auto Lane Change, etc

• Love
Reactions: moonchic73
Mostly just using it for a daily commute. Maybe take 2 or 3 longer trips a year in it. So yeah, I don’t think the $5000 FSD is worth it for me right now (just to get AutoLaneChange).

I wish they would offer all FSD items a la carte like $1500 for summon only, or $2000 for Auto-Park, $1500 for Navigate on Autopilot, $1000 for Auto Lane Change, etc

Why don’t they move to a subscription service like almost all other companies are. Look at Adobe, Office 360 (I think), Netflix, Apple Music etc. Recurring revenue, and you don’t need to shell out a huge sum all at once. Instead you can try it in “small pieces”. Instead, Tesla uses a now or never approach. If more people just tested AP, they would all get hooked.