Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can SC tell me what services have been pefromed on my 2015 model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Four months ago I bought a used 2015 model S. I want to take it in for service but I have no idea what has or has not been done in the past. At 100,000 miles there are thing that should have been done. I bought it with 118,000. Now at 123,000 I want to make sure what should have been done was, or have it done. Can the SC look up passed services?

I asked (for my car, not your car) and they wouldn’t tell me either.

I did get a more specific request answered - like, I don’t know when the last time the brakes or AC were serviced, can you tell me when they are due?”

They wouldn't tell me the service history for my 2014 either. But, as David mentioned, a way around it is to take it in for service and have them recommend which services are needed.

I have had mine serviced since I bought it in 2016, but besides the desiccant bag for the A/C and batteries for the keyfob, I think they have only replaced the gear reducer oil and changed the battery coolant once, and mine has 110k miles on it. The only other maintenance item is the 12V battery which requires replacement every few years.

Last time I heard they no longer replace the battery coolant, as they found the coolant doesn't really wear as much as an ICE engine coolant, so the coolant is now considered lifetime coolant.

It has been mostly in the service center for upgrades (TPMS upgrade and 3G to 4G upgrade) and tires. Other than that, I replaced both the main MCU display screen at the service center, and I replaced the speedometer screen myself a few weeks ago. Mobile service then replaced a window motor assembly a couple of weeks ago.

Can and Will are two different questions ... of course they CAN tell you ... but most likely they WILL NOT tell you. That's not to say you shouldn't try asking. I have a 2012 and the SC told me the history of my car. I asked if the motor or battery where ever replaced (yes to both), if so, when and with what part number. I had a list of TSBs on hand to ask about as well. Mind you, this information was divulged back in late 2018, so their policies regarding VIN history may have changed. However, in my Tesla owning experience, the only thing that matters are the safety recalls. Consumables/wearables (brakes, tires) you can check yourself. My suggestion mimics the posts above; ask what needs to be done for your mileage vehicle. In addition, get your hands on a list of TSBs and ask away.

Can and Will are two different questions ... of course they CAN tell you ... but most likely they WILL NOT tell you. That's not to say you shouldn't try asking. I have a 2012 and the SC told me the history of my car. I asked if the motor or battery where ever replaced (yes to both), if so, when and with what part number. I had a list of TSBs on hand to ask about as well. Mind you, this information was divulged back in late 2018, so their policies regarding VIN history may have changed. However, in my Tesla owning experience, the only thing that matters are the safety recalls. Consumables/wearables (brakes, tires) you can check yourself. My suggestion mimics the posts above; ask what needs to be done for your mileage vehicle. In addition, get your hands on a list of TSBs and ask away.

I asked about my service history in 2016 as I bought it in 2016, and they said they couldn't release it. There are however certain hints as the newer components have different revision numbers. But you probably won't have a complete picture without the service history.

It would make sense that your battery and drive unit have been replaced as you have a 2012, and those had early production issues that didn't really get resolved until 2014 or 2015.

It is however possible that the policies have changed and you can now obtain the service history. I'll check this out on my next service center visit.

It also appears that you have been busy with upgrades, as the 2012 didn't come with LTE, Continental sensors, folding mirrors and a host of other features you list on yours. Also, unless you added the Yact floor, you either bought it very early or bought a demo car as most of the Yacht floors were in dealer demo's.

The SC gave me the reason for not releasing the past history was to protect the identity of the previous owner(s). The way Tesla stores service records does not lend itself very easily to searches or being able to show the big picture. When asking for records, don't ask for the service records, because to them, that means you are asking for the service invoices which they will not produce. You could probably ask for what services and repairs have been performed over time. Example, ask when the last time the A/C desiccant was replaced, if the motor has ever been replaced, etc.

As for my car, I did pay for the LTE and Continental upgrades, although I probably could have just waited for the MCU to die (which it did) and get the upgrade for free. All other upgrades were due to warranty replacements, including the yacht flooring due to the carpet's "failed adhesive strips" and the carpet was no longer available.

Good luck with your service history. Let us know how it goes obtaining it. Consider bringing a box of donuts with you too ;)