Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone explain Range Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range Mode:
1) Reduces battery heating when the battery is cold (via turning off or reducing battery heater)
2) Reduces battery cooling when the battery is hot (via allowing the battery to operate at up to 40C instead of 30C)
3) Allows torque sleep in D models (allows motors to alternately sleep)
4) Reduces climate system power draw
5) Turns off DRL's, where legal

Range mode is particularly effective when doing a number of short hops in very cold weather, preventing unnecessary battery heating/cooling cycles. The effect on highway cruising at operating temperature is minimal, mostly from climate and torque sleep.

Since Range Mode may not maintain an ideal battery temperature, I generally don't use it. I think it's best to leave it off unless you absolutely need the additional range (hopefully in very rare cases).

I always leave mine off unless I am in the process of driving and I am worried about making it to a charger. Mainly because range mode turns off the battery heater when plugged into a charger, so if it is really cold you may not get a charge if range mode is on. Look at the thread in this section called: “Winter Charge Failure, don’ use scheduled Charge when very cold”

I never use Range Mode anymore since it breaks the thermostat. Maybe just slightly warmer in the summer, but in the winter I'm not riding around with it 50F in the cabin and 30F at my feet, this is b******t.

Also now eats up huge amounts of energy day to day to warm the pack for no reason for short trips. I can afford it (well hey, I don't pay to charge this thing anyway), not sure if the planet can.

Last edited:
I drvive 230 km each day. 115 to work 115 back. I have tried 1 week with range mode on and one week with range mode off. weather around 15c in the morning, 20c afternoon. There was no difference at all.When driving with range mode on I had around 100km left, when driving with range mode off i had around 95 km. So more or less no difference at all..hmmm

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I drvive 230 km each day. 115 to work 115 back. I have tried 1 week with range mode on and one week with range mode off. weather around 15c in the morning, 20c afternoon. There was no difference at all.When driving with range mode on I had around 100km left, when driving with range mode off i had around 95 km. So more or less no difference at all..hmmm
I don't believe range mode does anything anymore except change active heating targets. Non-range mode passive heating target seems to be the same for my car. It's effectively always in range mode.

I don't believe range mode does anything anymore except change active heating targets.
Non-range mode passive heating target seems to be the same for my car. It's effectively always in range mode.

If you have a Dual Motor model, then Range Mode is very effective on the highway by using Torque Sleep for one motor... :cool:

upload_2018-9-2_8-38-30.png

It depends on the model i think, a rwd Will barely see improvement in range while AWD see more of a difference. I personaly never used range mode until this week on a long stretch and uphill. On our xp100d it made a noticeble difference. When switching range mode on and off I could hear the front motor more of less. Also the tripmeter showed better than projected consumption instead of slightly more. Maybe it's more noticeble on a Perf.

It depends on the model i think, a rwd Will barely see improvement in range while AWD see more of a difference. I personaly never used range mode until this week on a long stretch and uphill. On our xp100d it made a noticeble difference. When switching range mode on and off I could hear the front motor more of less. Also the tripmeter showed better than projected consumption instead of slightly more. Maybe it's more noticeble on a Perf.

Correct...

If you have a Dual Motor model, then Range Mode is very effective on the highway by using Torque Sleep for one motor... :cool:

View attachment 331249

I've been unable to discern any range difference. If it's so little it requires an very tightly controlled experiment - who cares. Pack temperature was one of the major controls on how much energy you could get from the pack, and as I said above for my pack range mode no longer does anything.