Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla mobile charger gen 2 be used with j1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I have an adapter for our leaf. We have a Gen 2 WC

Only odd thing with the adapter is I have to put in on the charger and wait 10 sec before plugging it into the car.

I’m told there is a dip switch kn the WC for legacy mode that avoids the wait. I haven’t bothered.

When my Son got a 2020 Bolt, I bought him a Tesla UMC and the adapter -- TeslaTap, I think. He uses that all the time with a Y on his dryer plug, being careful not to dry and charge at the same time. That adapter allows him to use Tesla destination chargers and to charge at my house on my UMC.

The answer is YES. You can choose the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter.

The Tesla mobile connector with a NEMA 14-50 adapter will deliver the maximum power of 32 amps on a 40-amp circuit.

The Tesla to J1772 adapter by Tesla Tap can charge your car up to 60 amps and the Lectron Tesla to J1772 is 40 amps. Both are suitable for the mobile connector.

But the price of the Tesla Tap and Lectron on Amazon is $159.99 and $239.94, respectively.

So in my opinion, the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter wins.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and Rocky_H
I've been mulling over the idea of getting our teen a used i3 s. And eventually the topic of how to charge it comes up.

I was thinking of going the Tap route but may just get a regular charger because the i3 would be outside the garage and there's no way to secure the Tap. I wish there was a way to secure the Tap to the Tesla connector.

I was thinking of going the Tap route but may just get a regular charger because the i3 would be outside the garage and there's no way to secure the Tap. I wish there was a way to secure the Tap to the Tesla connector.
For something like that, I don't know that it's worth trying to share the Tesla plug. The i3 is such a small battery, that it can generally get by with its own charging cable that runs from a 120V outlet anyway. I was thinking of that kind of thing if we were to get a second short range EV, and was just planning to get its own 120V cord to plug in on the other side of the garage.

I've been mulling over the idea of getting our teen a used i3 s. And eventually the topic of how to charge it comes up.

The Leaf has an option to lock the charge port. So the adapter can’t be removed from the leaf and stolen. Not sure if the I3 has anything similar?

Reactions: thesmokingman
For something like that, I don't know that it's worth trying to share the Tesla plug. The i3 is such a small battery, that it can generally get by with its own charging cable that runs from a 120V outlet anyway. I was thinking of that kind of thing if we were to get a second short range EV, and was just planning to get its own 120V cord to plug in on the other side of the garage.
I'm never going back to 120v charging... 3mi/hr and the efficiency losses. Do the math, say for a 60 something miles top off, that's over 12 hours vs just over 3 hours using 120v vs 240v. The numbers are from the evcompare site.
The Leaf has an option to lock the charge port. So the adapter can’t be removed from the leaf and stolen. Not sure if the I3 has anything similar?
Oh the locking, that's a good point. I totally forgot that they all lock the charger. I'm not sure however on the home chargers, I assume they'll stay locked. The public chargers however unlock after charge and apparently anyone can stop your charging and unplug it. I'm hoping at home it's not like that. Time to dop some research, thx.

Oh the locking, that's a good point. I totally forgot that they all lock the charger. I'm not sure however on the home chargers, I assume they'll stay locked. The public chargers however unlock after charge and apparently anyone can stop your charging and unplug it. I'm hoping at home it's not like that. Time to dop some research, thx.
There isn't a "home" versus "public" difference on those. They are both J1772, and that is however it is. It's up to the car itself whether it has a mechanism to lock that handle in, and whether or not it uses the so-called "feature" of releasing the lock whenever charging is finished.

Leaf has -
- regular - unlocked
- auto - unlocks once charge finishes
- locked - locked all the time.

So I can safely use the adapter without it walking off.

of course it can be disconnected from the Tesla wand and stop the charging. And I’m not sure how graceful that happens? Will it break the control circuit first and avoid arcing?

• Informative
Reactions: thesmokingman
Leaf has -
- regular - unlocked
- auto - unlocks once charge finishes
- locked - locked all the time.

So I can safely use the adapter without it walking off.

of course it can be disconnected from the Tesla wand and stop the charging. And I’m not sure how graceful that happens? Will it break the control circuit first and avoid arcing?
Another excellent point which brings me back to my original issue. It doesn't matter if the car locks the charger when someone can just disconnect the Tesla wand from the adapter. I would say a few years back I would not even consider thinking the worse but the world is different now. I see the crazy crap in the surrounding neighborhoods these days and well that's the last thing I need is someone to do something jerky with the cars while it's charging.

To answer this part of the question, yes, this is handled (Ha!) in what the button press in the J1772 protocol does, which is also done by the Tesla button. When the button or release latch button are pressed while charging, that sends a signal to the car to interrupt the charging, so it cuts off in less than a second, so if you keep holding the button and pull the plug, it will not arc.

Reactions: brkaus
To answer this part of the question, yes, this is handled (Ha!) in what the button press in the J1772 protocol does, which is also done by the Tesla button. When the button or release latch button are pressed while charging, that sends a signal to the car to interrupt the charging, so it cuts off in less than a second, so if you keep holding the button and pull the plug, it will not arc.

Thanks @Rocky_H - I'm specifically asking if I separate the Tesla handle from the Tesla -> J1772 adapter. It can be done w/o using any button... For example when I drop the entire assembly too quickly or trip on the cord. It's just a pressure fit.

Thanks @Rocky_H - I'm specifically asking if I separate the Tesla handle from the Tesla -> J1772 adapter. It can be done w/o using any button... For example when I drop the entire assembly too quickly or trip on the cord. It's just a pressure fit.
Oh, I haven't seen one of those in person. I thought it also had a latch built into it. Yeah, if that connection is just pulled then, it probably will arc.

The J1772 button-press-to-disable-charging does take a fraction of a second to engage. When I was using the ChargePoint L2 stations at work, I had to use my J1772 adapter. One time when I thought the charging session was completed (stopped) I grabbed the ChargePoint handle, pressed the button to unlatch and simultaneously extracted the handle from the J1772 adapter. ZAP! I almost jumped back a couple of feet. I was not expecting that to happen. From then on, I always used the ChargePoint app to stop the session (or confirmed it was), pressed the button on the handle, waited at least one second and then pulled it out.

When using a Tesla charging connection (Supercharger or CHAdeMO adapter) I do the similar thing; double-check that the car has stopped charging before removing the handle. However, I do a press-and-remove operation. Since I almost always have the car already unlocked (door open and in Park), I don't think I ever have pressed, waited (held) and then removed. I guess I probably should adjust my procedure for those times when it may make a difference.

Oh, I haven't seen one of those in person. I thought it also had a latch built into it. Yeah, if that connection is just pulled then, it probably will arc.
I’m not sure how to connect to the Tesla wand any differently (*). It’s a bit more robust with the latch and electronics in the car, but that means the adapter would need the latch and electronics too.

* for a reasonable cost.