Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can this nail puncture be repaired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a nail in my tire a month ago and took it to multiple shops. Per google, the puncture is too close to the side wall to be repaired. But one shop just plugged it for me.

It held up PSI find for a few weeks but lately it's been losing slowly losing pressure over the course of a 2 days down to 39 from 42.

Can this be patch repaired? Thanks!

nail.jpg

I ended up finding someone on Craig’s list selling a brand new Goodyear F1 for $190. There’s quite a large market for Tesla tires and wheels thanks to people either upgrading their OEM’s, swapping to/from Gemini/Inductions, etc.

Will update on how this goes. I just have to pay someone to mount it and balance.

Taking a risk here too because for all I know, the guy could be selling me a defective tire or whatever. But the $485 total estimate from Tesla scares me more.

Upvote 0
I ended up finding someone on Craig’s list selling a brand new Goodyear F1 for $190. There’s quite a large market for Tesla tires and wheels thanks to people either upgrading their OEM’s, swapping to/from Gemini/Inductions, etc.

Will update on how this goes. I just have to pay someone to mount it and balance.

Taking a risk here too because for all I know, the guy could be selling me a defective tire or whatever. But the $485 total estimate from Tesla scares me more.
If you're a member, AAA will do the work without an argument. Assuming you got their shops out there.

Reactions: Manbutter
Upvote 0

probably a tire with a puncture repaired near the sidewall... i would inspect the inside (!) of that tire closely...

Upvote 0
probably a tire with a puncture repaired near the sidewall... i would inspect the inside (!) of that tire closely...
I really hope not! Would have just bought someone else’s problem.

Someone else on Craigslist was selling an entire set of Y inductions including the rims for $1400. $375 per wheel and tire is cheaper than Tesla wants for just the tire alone.

Upvote 1
Dumb question but probably what I should have asked first: does Tesla give you some sort of credit or warranty on tires that suffer a puncture? Do the service centers ever actually repair a tire for you rather than just pushing a new tire purchase?

I heard some folks took their oem tires to a Goodyear or Continental shop and the shop gave them 50% off a new tire because the punctured tire was so new.

Upvote 0
Dumb question but probably what I should have asked first: does Tesla give you some sort of credit or warranty on tires that suffer a puncture? Do the service centers ever actually repair a tire for you rather than just pushing a new tire purchase?

I heard some folks took their oem tires to a Goodyear or Continental shop and the shop gave them 50% off a new tire because the punctured tire was so new.
Um. So, here's my tale. The originals on my 2018 M3 LR RWD wore out around 35,000 miles or so (vague memory). That was, like, two-three years ago. At the time I looked up the specs on these tires and discovered that they had (vague memory) some warranty that was good for 40,000 miles or more. However, that was only if one bought the tire retail. OEM installs didn't count and had a much shorter warranty. Sigh.

So, went shopping on Tire Rack and got some Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. Had them shipped to AAA in Edison, NJ, got them mounted, balanced, and went on with my life.

Roughly a year later I was heading down (literally, it's a steepish hill) a heavily used secondary road at night when, coming up the hill in the other direction came a police car with lights and siren going. Like everybody else in line, we shifted away from this guy towards the right, but kept on going. But this road was of the "no curbs" variety. A homeowner had put some nice granite blocks and rocks on the verge of his property where it ran into the gutter, but some of those rocks and rolled free and were lying down there, nearly invisible in the dark, and the front right wheel found one. Wasn't a blowout, but it tore the sidewall. Alarms went off, I managed to go up a hundred yards, get off the road I was on, and one more sharp right later was parked on a residential street.

Called Tesla Service on the app. They sent their roving tire guy who put a spare on the car, took the dead wheel away, and sent me on my way.

As I mentioned, the sidewall was absolutely torn, so that tire was a full goner. There was less than 10k miles on the new set, so, no question, I could just put a new tire on with the rest. However, Michelin CC2's were Out Of Production (!), so nobody local stocked them. Including Tire Rack. A mad search of the Interwebs revealed that some Racing Supply Place in Texas had, like, three of them. They were very happy to take my money and drop-ship one to Tesla in Springfield; and the Springfield crowd was happy to mount the tire on the wheel and balance it for a nominal sum. One trip to the Service Center later and they had their loaner back and I was on my way.

The fun bit? Tire Rack has a hazard warranty on all the tires they sell. I filled out forms (it was easy) and got the original purchase price back. Not bad.

Most difficult bit: Tire Rack wanted all the DOT numbers printed on the side of all the tires, so I had to go hunting around in the SC to find the dead tire so I could take a picture of the sidewall (torn) and the rubber text on the side of the dead tire.

And, yeah, the CC2's have a real 40k, prorated warranty. They're hanging in there pretty well.

Upvote 0
I had a puncture repaired by Tesla Service in Santa Clara, CA almost five years ago. It was in the middle of the tread, nowhere near the sidewall so they patched it.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I have plugged this type of puncture several times over the years. Never had an issue, even once over years and years of service. I personally wouldn't hesitate. Tire shops deal with thousands of customers per year. They have to take to "by the book" approach. I maintain all my vehicles, and keep a watchful eye on everything myself. No problem for me. To each his own.

Upvote 0
I got a nail in my tire a month ago and took it to multiple shops. Per google, the puncture is too close to the side wall to be repaired. But one shop just plugged it for me.

It held up PSI find for a few weeks but lately it's been losing slowly losing pressure over the course of a 2 days down to 39 from 42.

Can this be patch repaired? Thanks!

View attachment 945787
Can it be patched? Probably not? Replace the tire.

Upvote 0
It’s right on the hairy edge. Don’t assume the plug is what’s leaking. Could have another puncture or a bad seat with the rim. Put some dishwasher liquid on the plug.

If it was plugged / patched from back and is leaking I think I’d give up on that tire. Be unusual to leak if plugged / patched. If it was plugged from outside it might be patchable with a plug patch from inside.

If the hole is small. I thin the plug and plug from outside. A lot of plug patches are huge and they have to widen the hole to get plug in. Which can do more harm than good.

So it depends on the size of the puncture. A finish nail that close to side wall with a thin plug from outside no problem. There is no structural damage from a finish nail. You’re just trying to seal it.

If it was a self sealing tire it would have sealed itself when you pull the *small* nail out !!! Self sealing tires don’t consult the internet before sealing a hole.

A big lag bolt and large plug patch from inside no on that close to the edge. I probably wouldn’t patch a large hole any where in the tread. To much risk in structural damage.

Hard to know from photo what it was.

Good luck.

Reactions: Manbutter
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the responses. So here is a summary of costs:

Sam’s Club repair - free if you’re a member. Even if you didn’t buy the tire from them. However, they are by the book and will not repair it if on the edge, literally (which this is). Will not mount a tire unless bought from them.

Costco - also free if you’re a member. They will mount a 3rd party tire

Tesla - service told me the cost to mount a new tire is $74. To repair the tire is $122 (seriously??!)

I’m going to check America’s Tire Depot today.

Upvote 0
Someone else on Craigslist was selling an entire set of Y inductions including the rims for $1400. $375 per wheel and tire is cheaper than Tesla wants for just the tire alone.

Why are you shopping for tires at a dealership?
That's the most expensive and least competent place to source tires!

1. You bought 1 mismatched tire that doesn't match any of the other three. WHY?!?
  2. Tesla uses very popular size tires for all sorts of OEMs (Honda, Mazdas, Fords etc), There is a large market for them because there is a huge customer base of tires in these sizes.

Upvote 0
I’ve got the same situation as the OP. My new OEM tire (with 4500 miles) got a screw in it. Took it to Sam’s Club and they said it was too close to the side wall. This certainly does not look too close. I really wish they’d just repair it. The alternative is a $450 tire (tire, install, fees, tax). Nearly new tire. Ugh.

Any thoughts? The screw does not seem that close to the wall. But is the measurement inside to the steel belt?

Also, do the oem tires that say acoustic lining/technology purchased not from Tesla have the foam that everyone is talking about?

Did you not read upthread? Your screw is well within the non-repairable region tire places use.

1688480615067-png.953149

Besides the points others raised:
-that area flexes more and greatly increases risk of plug failure, an example OP even posted
-legit tire shops only do patches or plug/patch hybrids, which requires a larger flat area to stick

Something others didn't mention is the proximity increases the chance there is internal damage to the sidewall from the nail.

You can plug it yourself and see if it holds, but practically no reputable tire shop would repair that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why are you shopping for tires at a dealership?
That's the most expensive and least competent place to source tires!

1. You bought 1 mismatched tire that doesn't match any of the other three. WHY?!?
  2. Tesla uses very popular size tires for all sorts of OEMs (Honda, Mazdas, Fords etc), There is a large market for them because there is a huge customer base of tires in these sizes.
I was hoping Tesla would either repair it for free or give me some sort of warranty coverage on the OEM’s. So I made the service request on the app. As soon as I found out that was not the case, I started looking at other options.

Also, the tire I bought on Craig’s List is a perfect match, down to the T0 marking which designates noise reducing foam. It is allegedly a new tire. (Hard to tell). So at worst, it’s a new tire with 3 tires with 5k miles on them. Not a major mismatch.

Upvote 0
Did you not read upthread? Your screw is well within the non-repairable region tire places use.

1688480615067-png.953149

Besides the points others raised:
-that area flexes more and greatly increases risk of plug failure, an example OP even posted
-legit tire shops only do patches or plug/patch hybrids, which requires a larger flat area to stick

Something others didn't mention is the proximity increases the chance there is internal damage to the sidewall from the nail.

You can plug it yourself and see if it holds, but practically no reputable tire shop would repair that.
Yup, read the upthread. But my screw is right on the boundary. Tesla tires are pretty much flat all the way to the edge and then a sharp straight sidewall. The photo shows a traditional tire that begins to curve into a sidewall and the red zone is the part that curves. My screw is still on the flat contact patch area. So not as clear cut.

I’m here at American Tire Depot anyway for a second opinion. Just hate to throw away a tire with 90% tread life left.

Upvote 0
Wow. Just wow! American Tire Depot is friggin’ amazing! I took it there expecting them to tell me I need a new tire. And then I’d pull out the new one I bought on Craig’s List and ask them to mount it.

They repaired the puncture!!! I told them Sams Club told me it was too near the sidewall. They said, “they prob just were lazy and didn’t want to do the work. “ Love these guys!!! And it was totally free!!! I mean, I have never been a customer here and they did it for free for me. I tipped the installer $20 but wow!!! These guys are the best!!!

So now I have a patched tire working well. And a new Goodyear F1 20” sitting in my trunk.

Appreciate all your responses everyone. Great community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ODWms
Upvote 0