Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Tire Leak - Sealant Repair Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front passenger side tire of my MY is losing about 1 psi per week. I can’t seem to find any puncture.

My question is should I use my Tesla Tire Repair Kit to try to solve that with the sealant. Or is that overkill for such a small leak.

Alternatively, I could just keep filling the tire back up about once a month, until it’s time to get new tires.

Solution
As an addition, those leak sealants that your spray inside the tire are meant to be used as a temporary measure and only to get you to a safe place or the tire store in an emergency. Once you use it, the tire is destroyed and must be replaced soon. It'll say this in the instructions. So don't use it for small leaks that could be patched.
Great tip, thanks.

If it is a valve issue, does the entire tire need to be replaced?
No

Tire, if punctured can be patched/sealed if in the central area (not at the edge or sidewall)

Valve stem, seal cleaned/tightened or replaced

Upvote 0
Great tip, thanks.

If it is a valve issue, does the entire tire need to be replaced?
Typically no. They often leak from the screw in seal oring in the valve. Often they can just replace the needle valve (5 minutes) or just reseat. Slow leaks aren’t a huge issue but when the temp goes up and you do highway driving the pressure increases and can create a bigger leak or failure. Best to just address now and now wonder when/if something will happen especially as you have no roadside diy service options.

Reactions: terraform
Upvote 0
Just to follow up on this… I noticed that the tire only deceases pressure when driving, but when leaving it parked the psi does not drop. So, could this mean that it is indeed the valve, or could it still be either tire or valve.
Likely means a puncture in the tire, when the protrusion is disturbed by motion\driving the air escapes. You should go to a tire shop to have it checked, for your safety and so you're not stranded somewhere due to a flat tire.

Upvote 0
As an addition, those leak sealants that your spray inside the tire are meant to be used as a temporary measure and only to get you to a safe place or the tire store in an emergency. Once you use it, the tire is destroyed and must be replaced soon. It'll say this in the instructions. So don't use it for small leaks that could be patched.

Upvote 0
Solution
The front passenger side tire of my MY is losing about 1 psi per week. I can’t seem to find any puncture.

My question is should I use my Tesla Tire Repair Kit to try to solve that with the sealant. Or is that overkill for such a small leak.

Alternatively, I could just keep filling the tire back up about once a month, until it’s time to get new tires.
The kind of leaks that lose 1 psi in a day are difficult to find with soap and water. A leak that takes a whole week to lose 1 psi may never be found. A tire shop is the best option. Don’t use the foam.

Upvote 0
Water and soap may not be available on the road !!! Can shaving foam be used instead ?
If yes, just bring one small can as part of the tire repair kit. I use shaving foam to check for gas leak when I installed new gas pipes..
I ran into flat tires many times during the 40+years of driving. Most of the times, the tire got a nail or even screw on it. And they are visible when I rotate the tire (after jacking up the car to lift the flat tire up. Once, the tire got a severe cut due to a sharp stone. I got to put on spare tire to drive to a tire shop. To bad Tesla does not have spare tire.

Upvote 0