Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we create an "Is my car totaled/ What will this damage cost" Sub Forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, I was not trying to eliminate these threads, just hoping that they could be put in their own Subforum. I think it's important to have places like these forums to ask questions, even if they are google searchable or obvious. I've been a newb on several forums and I get it. I mean, it would be nice if TacomaWorld had a Subforum called "What are the biggest wheels that will fit with out a lift?".... 🤔... BRB...😁

Reactions: zoomer0056
Is this Tesla totaled?

tesla-3.jpg
It just needs a little putty and some duct tape.

Even with only liability insurance, wouldn't the other side's insurance pay for your car damage if the other side was at fault?
Everywhere I've filed a claim you negotiate with your own insurance company about the repair (or better, let your body shop do the negotiating) and then the companies fight it out among themselves as to how it's divided up. I've never been told how much each company ended up paying, nor have I asked.

Maybe we should shift our perspective and, instead of grumbling about these posts, we could turn them into a game:

Whoever gets closest to the estimate and repairability decision first gets a prize. Of course, that requires the OPs to actually come back and let us all know.

Reactions: father_of_6
Maybe we should shift our perspective and, instead of grumbling about these posts, we could turn them into a game:

Whoever gets closest to the estimate and repairability decision first gets a prize. Of course, that requires the OPs to actually come back and let us all know.

This is a great idea. Not sure what the prize would be, but I have a link that will give you $500 off the purchase of a Model 3/Y. 😜

• Funny
Reactions: dakhlkt22

Considering it. My ‘23 has paint damage from a Tesla “repair.” Received a quote and the car is going into the body shop next month. I’m thinking of buying a coffee to the winner (in reality, $20 Starbucks gift card). 1 to the winner of the estimate and another to whoever is closest to the final bill (assuming there is a difference; if not 2nd closest gets it.)

How does that sound?

There are so many variables that it is all but impossible to tell if a Tesla is totaled just by pictures alone unless it is, well, obviously totaled. Thus, such a forum would accomplish little...
This is totally understood. The point is those threads no longer have to clog the main forum and it's better than outright deleting them.

Reactions: rpiotro
So, I have already disclosed my somewhat complicated feelings on this, but since there is a thread I can ask for opinions on, I will ask it here.

I have been considering (for quite a while actually) that all of these type threads (any variation of "is this totaled?" or "how much is this going to cost to fix?") could be moved to one of the following two subforums:

Or

My feelings on this are actually that they belong in the insurance subforum, since "is this totaled" is actually an insurance question. The reason I have not done so, is due to what I detailed in my first post in this thread (my internal conflict).

For anyone reading this thread (thus presumably interested in this topic), any thoughts on the fact that "is this totaled" is an insurance question, and the insurance subforum is a more appropriate subforum for them?

Unless there’s a clear description of that sub-forum’s intent, I fear that most people would equate it with shopping for insurance/comparing premiums (not that such an endeavor is worthwhile since everybody gets different rates based on their own situations). Maybe maintenance is better but, again, people probably figure that’s for preventative rather than repair.

Either way, you moderators will probably spend a lot of time moving threads since the majority of posters are new and may not be looking for the right sub-forum anyway. I’d agree insurance with an updated description and, in time, people might get the hint.

By the way, I was thinking copies of copies of the Franz drawings for the prize rather than high test fuel but ideas improved are ideas embraced.

My feelings on this are actually that they belong in the insurance subforum, since "is this totaled" is actually an insurance question.

Sure seems like the right place for them. The description of the subforum is the only thing that doesn't seem to fit. "Discussion related to insurance for Tesla" might be a better, broader description.