Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Y open garage door without myQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you get things to open automatically with MyQ without paying for the subscription?
You dont open automatically without paying subscription. For Tesla to make it work you have to be subscribed to MyQ If you dont have a subscription You have to use it manually from the app in your phone. Only advantage is you can open it remotely for any utility worker or Amazon delivery that you dont want lying in the porch! You can also check the status of your garage door as the app will tell you if your garage door is closed or open! (Without paying any subscription)

Remote control being a clicker? What’s the point of the MyQ hub then?
I meant to say the garage door clicker. The point of the MyQ garage hub is that I can remotely open and close the garage from the MyQ phone app. Its just when I am in car coming home, it is more of a PITA to open up the MyQ app than to just reach behind the Tesla screen where the garage door clicker is located.

I meant to say the garage door clicker. The point of the MyQ garage hub is that I can remotely open and close the garage from the MyQ phone app. Its just when I am in car coming home, it is more of a PITA to open up the MyQ app than to just reach behind the Tesla screen where the garage door clicker is located.
Or even better, Have HomeLink and the gates and garage door will open magically as you drive close to the doors. Its that simple. No reaching for the app or the clickety clicker! LOL

Or even better, Have HomeLink and the gates and garage door will open magically as you drive close to the doors. Its that simple. No reaching for the app or the clickety clicker! LOL

How far away when leaving your garage do you go before it closes with Homelink? Can you adjust that? I’m hoping I can still back into the driveway just outside the door without it closing.

Also, can you see the status of the garage door and close/open it remotely with Homelink? I’d assume only if the opener has wifi and maybe not then.

MyQ for Tesla does the same thing. We have only been using the MyQ subscription trial, but so far it has been flawless for 2 weeks. You can even set the distance. set 40ft for leaving and 80 ft for arriving, it surprisingly works well.

I don't get your MO? I am not arguing that the MyQ garage hub is necessarily better than the homelink or MyQ subscription options given that they can auto-open the garage for you. Whoopie. If it works for you and you want to pay for it go for it. Arguing for something I don't want to pay a subscription for when I already had the MyQ garage hub before I had the Tesla and I don't have gates in my house so I am not sure what you are talking about. Its really a first world problem that you are pushing hard for.

Just to confirm: to try out MyQ with a non-wifi/MyQ opener, I just need to order the free trial and I get all the hardware needed? I can also decide to just cancel the free trial even if I get the device adapter. With this free adapter it can monitor if the garage is open or closed through the phone app and the Tesla screen?

Also, is it easy to change it to a new opener after replacing openers?

Also, can you still use the clicker as backup?

Last edited:
I tried myq, but it was super flaky.
Have it on my phone for the garage and the shop for years, and it works fine. As soon as I paired it with the Tesla, it started acting up. The only explanation I have is that cell coverage is flaky where I live, and that the car lost connection pulling away. Unfortunately, myq was never able to recover from that, showing " garage door closing" for literally hours. And twice it ended up opening the garage door when I was miles away while being confused about the doors status. No thanks, don't need that.
30 day trial, I cancelled it a week before it ended.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvindm
One more bizzare question that is taking this thread off-topic. How much battery does Homelink use? I’m mainly wondering about auto open and close. How is it sensing the car is near to the opener and to send the signal to open/close? Is it just constantly sending?

Just to confirm: to try out MyQ with a non-wifi/MyQ opener, I just need to order the free trial and I get all the hardware needed? I can also decide to just cancel the free trial even if I get the device adapter. With this free adapter it can monitor if the garage is open or closed through the phone app and the Tesla screen?

Also, is it easy to change it to a new opener after replacing openers?

Also, can you still use the clicker as backup?
Correct, even if you don't get the subscription it makes sense to get the free hardware.

Yes you can monitor the garage door position, it includes a door sensor.

Not sure what your question is here, all your old clickers will work as usual.

I don't get your MO? I am not arguing that the MyQ garage hub is necessarily better than the homelink or MyQ subscription options given that they can auto-open the garage for you. Whoopie. If it works for you and you want to pay for it go for it. Arguing for something I don't want to pay a subscription for when I already had the MyQ garage hub before I had the Tesla and I don't have gates in my house so I am not sure what you are talking about. Its really a first world problem that you are pushing hard for.
Everyone ha a different scenario. Mine is very different from yours. If the setup you have works or you I am happy for you. I have different needs and what I have setup works perfectly. The purpose of this forum is to help each other and not deride each others ideas.

Correct, even if you don't get the subscription it makes sense to get the free hardware.

Yes you can monitor the garage door position, it includes a door sensor.

Not sure what your question is here, all your old clickers will work as usual.
To monitor on your Tesla screen you will need to subscribe to the MyQ services. But you can monitor the garage door on your phone app, open and close remotely without paying a subscription fee through your phone app. The old clickers will still work as a backup and if you have a key pad, that will also work. Essentially the MyQ works as a bridge between your garage opener and your old clicker with a Wi-Fi enabled IR transmitter connected through the internet.

One more bizzare question that is taking this thread off-topic. How much battery does Homelink use? I’m mainly wondering about auto open and close. How is it sensing the car is near to the opener and to send the signal to open/close? Is it just constantly sending?
I would say 0.0000000001% of the 89 Kwh battery!😊. It is not sending or receiving anything unless you press the HomeLink button or you trigger the HomeLink by GPS when you approach the gate or the garage door which has been programmed into the car.

I tried myq, but it was super flaky.
Have it on my phone for the garage and the shop for years, and it works fine. As soon as I paired it with the Tesla, it started acting up. The only explanation I have is that cell coverage is flaky where I live, and that the car lost connection pulling away. Unfortunately, myq was never able to recover from that, showing " garage door closing" for literally hours. And twice it ended up opening the garage door when I was miles away while being confused about the doors status. No thanks, don't need that.
30 day trial, I cancelled it a week before it ended.
Yes! MyQ relies heavy on robust Wi-Fi connection and you need good cell phone signals. Without that it is another piece of useless hardware. Luckily, where I live the Cell Phone service is super (Google-Fi) and the internet is even better. So no real problems with MyQ but I prefer the HomeLink over MyQ just because it is muc more reliable and uber cool!

I had homelink in my model S it worked great 90% of the time but sometimes my situation would be different i.e. didn't want or need the garage door to open so I was fiddling with the screen and reversing my garage door and generally looking like an idiot not to mention completely failing the WAF.. clicker is 100% even for opening or closing the other garage doors

Last edited:
I had homelink in my model S it worked great 90% of the time but sometimes my situation would be different i.e. didn't want or need the garage door to open so I was fiddling with the screen and reversing my garage door and generally looking like an idiot not to mention completely failing the WAF.. clicker is 100% even for opening or closing the other garage doors
I can see how that can happen! you can disable it under those circumstances. On the same note, clickers can also fail to trigger the door sometimes and you will be left wondering "did I close the door or is it wide open"! LOL! There is no one solution!

Thanks for all the unrelated replies. What a helpful community.

All of this just reminded me of the one small flaw in my Tesla plan: I don’t carry keys any more. So, should the opener stop working/die while it’s shut and no one is home, I’m locked out of the house. Good reminder to go hide a key on the property somewhere.

• Funny
I can see how that can happen! you can disable it under those circumstances. On the same note, clickers can also fail to trigger the door sometimes and you will be left wondering "did I close the door or is it wide open"! LOL! There is no one solution!
I found that homelink generally closes the garage farther away from my house than the clicker.. so I see the garage door completely closed with the clicker as opposed to homelink where I had to slow down leaving the house if I wanted to make sure it closed all the way.... Of course I have myq on my phone anyway just in case

Reactions: flai54 and arvindm