TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you add carbon fiber trim as retrofit?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Feb 22, 2015.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Has anyone done this before?
    Take out the ugly piano black and retroit it with carbon fiber trim?

2. kseitzberg

kseitzberg Member

Can be done, however IMO I think that just applying some wrapping makes it much more nice!
    And costs only a few bucks..
    Carbon Wrap Decor | Teslafied

For the same reason I ordered my D with Piano Black decor, and will apply brushed alu wrap, just to have something else.

3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

I don't understand fake carbon fiber, or even real carbon fiber added as trim pieces. It's like the car equivalent of a fake designer handbag. The car is aluminum. It's one thing when the CF frame shows through or the body pieces are left bare and clear-coated, that's authentic and super cool. I love CF. I just don't get adding it to a car that doesn't utilize it. But, then again, I don't understand buying anything other than a Tesla right now so there's 16 million people who clearly disagreed with me this year. So my opinion matters only to me. That said, I don't get it.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Well, there weren't 16M Telsas available anyway :)

The reason for carbon fibre, and other materials, would be apparent if the sun was shining through the back window. You'd be blinded if it was aluminum. Just the bezel around the speedometer has done that to me on occasion.

Carbon fibre on the dash looks modern, isn't wood (been a while since horses pulled my carriage), and doesn't reflect badly when the sun shines on it. So it actually does something, not just what you might expect.

5. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Seems doing and not too expensive for the dash, since its only three pieces. The expensive part might be the armrest thing--those trim pieces don't look like they come off, so you might have to get a whole new one. And the yacht floor.

I seem to remember reading about someone doing this when they changed the direction of the grain of the obeche wood trim.

6. bonehead

bonehead Member

7. Kofi

Kofi Member

The retrofit can be done a few different ways:

1) 3M CF vinyl wrap
    2) True CF overlay
    3) Reproduction as a true CF part

The last two would options would match closest to OEM.

8. theheff

theheff Member

I know this an old thread, but I just went through this and thought I'd throw in what I found out.

Tesla will not sell trim separately, so that is just simply not an option.

My motivation was to change from vertically-oriented obeche wood trim to the new horizontal style. Maybe I'm OCD, but I think the look is much better.

I actually removed all my dash trim and traded with another forum user. It's pretty straight-forward and only took me a couple hours, and I went slow to make sure I didn't damage anything. Every screw is a Torx 20 and there's maybe 15 of them total for all three pieces on the dash. A lot of the lower pieces under the dash just pull out. Once removed, you could swap or wrap your current set.

The best instructions I found didn't include many pictures for the trim removal portion, but I ended up not needing any: http://www.teslarati.com/how-to-add-a-carbon-fiber-interior-trim-wrap-tesla-model-s/

9. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

So what would Tesla do if you told them someone broke into your car and stole all your trim? :tongue:

Surely they'll have to sell you trim in that case :wink:

10. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

A company that loses money every quarter not willing to sell parts is really baffling. Tesla management has no clue.....

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Is the CF trim really not real? I always thought it was real, but I've only seen it in pictures, not real life.

12. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Real carbon fiber laid over a backing material (at least on my car, could have changed).

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Thanks. Thinking about it now, I guess someone could call that "fake" as its not structural just decorative. My first thought when someone called it fake was meaning that it was just like printed into the plastic or molded just like the fake "wood" junk in some cars these days.

14. theheff

theheff Member

I suppose in that peculiar case that they'd sell you the original style of trim sold with the vehicle.