Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you carry 4 21" rims w/ tires inside Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, this is kind of a goofy question, but I'll be swapping my 21s for 19s and I THINK I can cart the 19s there inside the car and come home with the 21s (seats folded of course), but figured I would double check with those of you that routinely do this swap in winter/summer etc. I do have the frunk (RWD) as a possible option too, but the inside is likely big enough - correct?

Yes, have done this.

One in each of the back seats, one in the front seat, one in the trunk.

I think you can use the frunk, but haven't tried.

I avoided 2 or more in the trunk b/c I was concerned they would slide around and damage.

21" rims and 19" rims are identical size once the tires are on.

But to answer your question, yes, a set of wheels with tires fit fine in the back of the car with the seat folded down, you don't even have to fold down the whole seat back, just the larger part will do. (you could probably fit them somehow with the seats up, but I haven't tried)

Easily done.

Fold the seats down, place two wheels (with tires) down along the left or right side of the rear hatch area. Then place another two on top of the other two, but off to the side. Tires protect the rims, and it's all an easy fit. The only issue is dirt/brake dust; bring an old sheet, towels, and something to wipe your hands on as it can be messy.

Take a picture for others to see as it's a case where a picture will take the place of a thousand words . . . .

Reactions: ChadS
Pic for reference - 4 Honda Accord 17 X 7.5 with 215/55R17 tires.

Can't close the hatch with them like this though there is plenty of room width wise the trim on the lift gate around the rear glass gets in the way. Would imagine one could get 3 in the trunk and one in the Frunk

image.jpeg

I am, I am also thinking "don't let the rims touch to 100% avoid the possibility of a scuffing"
I think you're still thinking too linearly. as mentioned earlier, offset them a bit so the rims don't line up, place the faces of the rims opposite, and keep the wheels in the plastic bags (or use moving blankets if you're really concerned) There's loads of room back there.
I had one rim lying flat, with the next rim lying angled so it was resting on top of it on one side and on the floor on the other side, and so on. I had no trouble at all getting all 4 wheels in with only the larger part of the back seat folded down (didn't want to remove the baby seat in the other back seat), and nothing in footwells or other seats, or having any chance of the rims touching.

Good to see the image of the 4 tires standing up and not being able to close the trunk though, I had debated doing that at one point, but never tried. Now I know not to try in the future.

If you were wondering about the X for hauling them You can stand them up in the X and close the hatch but you have to put the back 2 seats down. I did it with three accross and one in the sump storage so I had room left for inserts between the tires to reduce frictioning. Hauled them all the way to Chicago from Northern VA (~750 miles) and they were winter tires too!

Here is a pic of 21" wheels and tires all 4 in the trunk. 2 face down to the floor. The two on top facing up so no damage.

On the floor i used 2 carboard boxes then put a canvas dog blanket seat protector over it. Then a small piece of cardboard on the side to protect the trunk carpet for the one that leans.

19" setup is for sale in another thread.

Attachments

• IMG_3708.JPG
    IMG_3708.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 576
Here is a pic of 21" wheels and tires all 4 in the trunk. 2 face down to the floor. The two on top facing up so no damage.

On the floor i used 2 carboard boxes then put a canvas dog blanket seat protector over it. Then a small piece of cardboard on the side to protect the trunk carpet for the one that leans. 19" setup is for sale in another thread.

Good to see how the tires are stacked. I plan to order a set of tire totes for storage and convenience in handling.

Tesla — Tire Tote

upload_2016-11-25_9-14-13.png