Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You completely turn off Traction Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sorry, I don’t understand: why would you want to turn the traction control off for driving in snow?

By the way, no snow here yet since I bought my 2023 MYP. But it’s surely coming. What are the best settings in the car for snow?

Last edited:
I am sorry, I don’t understand: why would you want to turn the traction control for driving in snow?

By the way, no snow here yet since I bought my 2023 MYP. But it’s surely coming. What are the best settings in the car for snow?
Because they want to "Play" (slide around, do doughnuts, etc.). I dont have any feedback on snow / winter driving myself though, since we dont get snow where I am. There are a few different winter driving threads though. the biggest complaint that I see people harp on is regen braking, but I will let someone who deals more with snow talk about that.

@GtiMart do you get snow?

Reactions: Scubamikey
Because they want to "Play" (slide around, do doughnuts, etc.). I dont have any feedback on snow / winter driving myself though, since we dont get snow where I am. There are a few different winter driving threads though. the biggest complaint that I see people harp on is regen braking, but I will let someone who deals more with snow talk about that.

@GtiMart do you get snow?
I get plenty of snow! There's already snow now and it will last until march easily.
Traction and stability controls facilitate driving in slippery conditions for sure. However Tesla's controls are extremely limiting, quickly reducing available power and severely limiting slippage. For someone that knows how to drive on snow it's sometimes useful to have the back end slip a bit in corners, it helps turning instead of going straight. Just look at rally drivers and you'll see. My Model 3 is great in general but it's the least fun awd I've had in winter. I would love to reduce (not completely disable) the assists so I could drift the back in corners like my previous WRX could.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Will traction control detect this and turn off or reduce regen if you start sliding?
Regen adjusts automatically when the wheels slip. You'll feel the wheels slip a bit as the car looks for the limits of traction. For all intents and purposes it feels "like abs", nothing to worry about. On a dual motor the car will also regen from the front if the back slips. No need for low regen unless for personal preference.

Yep, it'll reduce the regen (and it should be applying both power and regen 50-50% front and back when snow and ice are detected as well).

I see a lot of people ask to turn down regen. My hot take is in 95% of scenarios in winter if regen causes you to start sliding you're critically close to sliding off the road and crashing regardless of regen. You're screwed already and need to sloooooow down (and/or get better tires for the conditions).

Regen isn't that strong. In snowy conditions in suburban areas I find regen to be a pretty appropriate amount of braking.

For reference this is based on my experiences on a Model 3 AWD w/ Michelin Cross Climate 2s.

Reactions: flixden
Can you completely turn it off? Even in slip start it engages. 21 Y Performance. Love this rocket but can not play in the snow?
Have you tried it in off-road mode?

Traction_Control.jpg

I don't own a Tesla but have been strongly considering a Model Y. Due to living in a rural area, I need to force a LOT of tire spin just to keep from getting stuck. I am hopeful that off-road mode will help me with that but from what you're describing, maybe it doesn't?

Reactions: RunCoordinator
I've played with off-road mode on my 3 since the S3XY buttons will let me enable it even if it's not in the UI (it's model Y only). It doesn't feel much different from normal mode on snow. It's immediately 50-50 instead of quasi-instantly switching to 50-50 when it detects slip at the back. I haven't been able to have more fun with off-road mode either... it doesn't seem to reduce assists much if at all.