Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you delay delivery to wait on Model Y improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over/under I wager there will be over a hundred threads with this topic by year end…

Probably more like 50 threads with this topic, and 25-30 threads with people complaining that "tesla canceled my order because I couldnt take delivery because <insert made up reason>, along with another 25 threads about how horrible tesla is for doing this.

Tesla could also go the route of only making 2022 "Model Year" vehicles for old orders and then only certifying the 2023 model year vehicles, which would only be matched to new orders, for the rebate.

I doubt they would do this, but it is certainly one way to handle it.

After the shenanigans at the end of last year due to subsidy rumors, Tesla started tightening the screws on folks dinking around with delivery dates.

Don't order a car based on assumptions that some feature or rebate will apply unless they apply when you order.

Lots of people got burned playing guessing games and trying to shuffle delivery dates around last winter. Likely be similar foolery this year as well.

We have a Model Y LR on order and the projected delivery (Nashville, TN) is between Nov 2022 to Jan 2023. Is it possible to delay delivery and wait for the new improvements in the Model Y that will hopefully come from Austin in 2023? For example front an rear casting, structural battery pack, improved 4680 cells, etc.?
From Order Agreement
"Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first atempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."
Order placed 12/30/21
expected delivery Dec. 2022
but I want to delay into 2023 for potential tax credit

From Order Agreement
"Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first atempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."
Order placed 12/30/21
expected delivery Dec. 2022
but I want to delay into 2023 for potential tax credit
Then it sounds like it would be fair for them to re-price your order to the current pricing.

There is nothing on the radar that is going to impact the daily usability of the car from an improvements perspective.

Austin cars get rear parcel shelf and the magnetically latched center console. AFAIK there is nothing else different about the LR cars they are currently assembling.

Maybe sometime next year LR cars get bumped to matrix headlights to differentiate them from the SR cars, but probably not.

There's also gen-4 AP hardware coming with the Cybertruck that will probably show up in all the other vehicles but that could be at least a year off.

I was also a proponent of waiting for improvements but with supply shortages and inflation it seems that Tesla has really slowed the introduction of upgrades this year and it's unknown if that changes in any meaningful way in Q1 of 2023.

As far as the federal tax credit... people also delayed their Q4 2021 deliveries for as long as possible anticipating that credit would return in 2022 and we all know how that panned out.

That’s interesting about the Gen 4 AP hardware. I wonder what the magnitude of improvement might be?

This is what happened to me.

11/2021 - I placed an order for MYLR with FSD.
12/2021 - Tesla asked me to take delivery. I delayed
3/2022 - Tesla asked me to take delivery . I delayed.
4/2022 - I removed FSD and the estimated delivery got pushed towards the end of the year.
7/2022 - Tesla asked me to take delivery in the beginning of August. As the 4680 battery doesnt seem to be materializing anytime soon for MYLR, I decided to take the delivery. I am getting it next week.

Hope this helps.
So you can delay twice before having to accept the 3rd delivery? And so you got 3 different VIN’s?

If Tesla announced a $7,500 price increase beginning January 1st that would solve the delivery delay conundrum and protect existing owner equity positions/used Tesla market.

I think the way the order agreement is written you’re really not ordering anything. What you’re doing is purchasing the option to buy a car in a particular color configuration at some point in the future when Tesla feels it’s most advantageous to itself. Exercise your option you get a car, don’t exercise the option and you forfeit $250. You can always buy another spot in line 24/7 via the website.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Telsa does model year changeovers in November.
Anything delivered after early November will likely have most of the planned enhancements for the next many months.
There are changes which have occurred due to supply chain shortages (matrix headlights in MYLR) which are temporary.
There are changes which have occurred because Tesla production processes and/or profits benefit (megacastings).
There's no timeline or published listing of new features, functions, etc. Except for the internet blogs, which are 99% hype.

Buying a Tesla has become similar to buying a PC.
There's always gonna be something else better, faster, sexier or cheaper that your neighbors will say you should have waited for.
Problem is, they're still paying $5 for a gallon of gas, while I'm paying $12 for a full tank.

At this point, there's absolutely nothing worth delaying a delivery for.
It's all good and getting incrementally better. Just not radically better, as it did early on.

Reactions: KJD
Telsa does model year changeovers in November.
Anything delivered after early November will likely have most of the planned enhancements for the next many months.
There are changes which have occurred due to supply chain shortages (matrix headlights in MYLR) which are temporary.
There are changes which have occurred because Tesla production processes and/or profits benefit (megacastings).
There's no timeline or published listing of new features, functions, etc. Except for the internet blogs, which are 99% hype.

Buying a Tesla has become similar to buying a PC.
There's always gonna be something else better, faster, sexier or cheaper that your neighbors will say you should have waited for.
Problem is, they're still paying $5 for a gallon of gas, while I'm paying $12 for a full tank.

At this point, there's absolutely nothing worth delaying a delivery for.
It's all good and getting incrementally better. Just not radically better, as it did early on.
Do they really do a model year changeovers in November or any specific time similar to legacy auto makers? I thought they just changed based on when it works best for them whenever that may be. As you said, similar to PC manufacturers.

Do they really do a model year changeovers in November or any specific time similar to legacy auto makers? I thought they just changed based on when it works best for them whenever that may be. As you said, similar to PC manufacturers.
Tesla model year changeovers are designated in November. Anything shipped after early November is the next year model for registration purposes.
So cars shipped starting roughly Nov 1 will be 2023 model year cars.

As for feature adds/deletes etc, in the past they have happened at any time - Tesla's convenience, when ready, whatever.
Examples - megacasts for model yr 2021 started February '21 as noted earlier; LiOn low voltage battery for model yr '22 was last January, AMD Ryzen chipset was February '22.
Giga Texas is delivering parcel shelves on MY cars, Fremont is not. Giga Texas is delivering MiC door panels (wood trim inset), Fremont is not. Fremont is temporarily delivering matrix headlights on MYLR, Texas is not. Supplier issues, model year adds/deletes, whatever and whenever Tesla decides.

Tesla model year changeovers are designated in November. Anything shipped after early November is the next year model for registration purposes.

As for feature adds/deletes etc, in the past they have happened at any time - Tesla's convenience, when ready, whatever.
Examples - megacasts for model yr 2021 started February '21 as noted earlier; LiOn low voltage battery for model yr '22 was last January, AMD Ryzen chipset was February '22.
Giga Texas is delivering parcel shelves on MY cars, Fremont is not. Giga Texas is delivering MiC door panels (wood trim inset), Fremont is not. Fremont is temporarily delivering matrix headlights on MYLR, Texas is not. Supplier issues, model year adds/deletes, whatever and whenever Tesla decides.
Got it. Our MYLR now has an EDD between Sept 26 to Oct 10. I would assume it is coming from Freemont.

So, if the Nov 1st model year changeover is accurate I guess we will be receiving a 2022 not a 2023. Not sure is makes much difference either way other than if we sell in the future it would technically be 1 year newer.

Got it. Our MYLR now has an EDD between Sept 26 to Oct 10. I would assume it is coming from Freemont.

So, if the Nov 1st model year changeover is accurate I guess we will be receiving a 2022 not a 2023. Not sure is makes much difference either way other than if we sell in the future it would technically be 1 year newer.
Nashville may be served by Giga Texas.
Production is ramping up there and a rail-head in the area would save Tesla lots of shipping costs.
It could go either way and it's Tesla's call, there's no customer control over that.
Regardless, quality for both Fremont and Austin is now excellent. Very few complaints here on TMC any more.

To your point

this is mostly China-related, and although Zheng says in later posts that it's worldwide, it's unlikely to be North America for a while (Q2 23?).
He also says Hemp material is replacing engineered plastics for interior trim, which is not a substantial change / consumer benefit.

It can make sense that 4680 will be used in MYP as it has been in AWD for North America, since those are a very low percentage of purchases.
However, it's all about the progress Tesla can make on 4680 production yields, process improvements, etc. Note that Texas still gets it's 4680 packs from Kato Road.
Look for FRONT castings stockpiled on the lot at Fremont to clue us when the 4680 MYP might happen there (they are thicker than the rear castings, don't stack as tightly).

And most importantly, how many SEMI and CT will be built, since those will have 4680 priority - they can't be made without 4680 in mass quantities.

We have a Model Y LR on order and the projected delivery (Nashville, TN) is between Nov 2022 to Jan 2023. Is it possible to delay delivery and wait for the new improvements in the Model Y that will hopefully come from Austin in 2023? For example front an rear casting, structural battery pack, improved 4680 cells, etc.?
Tesla internal guidance is they will allow a hold as long as it is not later than the estimated delivery date when the order was placed.

Tesla internal guidance is they will allow a hold as long as it is not later than the estimated delivery date when the order was placed.
That is good to know. If my initial estimate delivery date is in Dec, 2022, if I put a hold now, would it put me back in the queue once I release the hold?
Or would the hold be auto release in Dec 2022?

I am disappointed that Tesla is not taking a more proactive approach. Certainly, Tesla has buyers who would not be eligible for the incentive that starts in January - those over the income limit, corporate purchases such as Hertz. Why wouldn't Tesla prioritize which to schedule for delivery and those who would rather, wait until after January 1.

As a shareholder, I'm angry that Tesla is not taking measure to avert a potential delivery disaster. It could happen that thousands of customers delay their delivery until after the end of December. Since Tesla didn't have their act together, they end up with lots of inventory, low deliveries at the end of the year and then thousands clamoring to get theirs as of January 1.