Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you delay delivery to wait on Model Y improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my SA about this on Friday. Once a VIN is assigned, you can ask to delay it. They will the assign another VIN sometime after this and you can cancel one more time. But the third time you get a VIN, you have to take it or forfeit your deposit and reorder. Here’s the real problem. He told me they are ramping up production so quickly that the second VIN might be assigned within a week of refusing your first VIN. And your third VIN might get assigned quickly too.

This was from an SA, so things might change or be different in your market.

If you’re waiting for new batteries in the LR version, good luck. They may never have the new batteries. The CT will probably get all they can make. There will always be upgrades, so when you do pull the trigger, a week later it may come with FLUX capacitors. You can’t beat Tesla at their upgrade game.
Great info! This is what I was looking for which is someone that has had first hand experience and not just rehashing assumptions and stories heard from others. I totally realize I may not be able to delay until some of the newest improvements are implemented which is fine. We want the car either way, but good to know there are potential options to delay especially now that it appears the $7500 tax credit may come back Jan 1st. It would suck to have to take the car in Dec 2022 and miss $7500 if could have delayed one month. I know this is all fluid and Tesla could change their rules by then, but I just wanted to know what others had experienced when taking possession of a Tesla you order rather than our only experience which is buying a demo model. Thank you!

This is what happened to me.

11/2021 - I placed an order for MYLR with FSD.
12/2021 - Tesla asked me to take delivery. I delayed
3/2022 - Tesla asked me to take delivery . I delayed.
4/2022 - I removed FSD and the estimated delivery got pushed towards the end of the year.
7/2022 - Tesla asked me to take delivery in the beginning of August. As the 4680 battery doesnt seem to be materializing anytime soon for MYLR, I decided to take the delivery. I am getting it next week.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info! This is very helpful. I realize things change and Tesla may not allow this when our Model Y is ready, but now my main concern is can I delay until Jan 1st since that appears to be when the new $7500 tax credit will take effect if passed. Would suck to take in December then the tax credit goes into effect January 2023.

Thank you for the info! This is very helpful. I realize things change and Tesla may not allow this when our Model Y is ready, but now my main concern is can I delay until Jan 1st since that appears to be when the new $7500 tax credit will take effect if passed. Would suck to take in December then the tax credit goes into effect January 2023.
+1 This is me too. My MYLR EDD is set for Nov 5 - Dec 31. If the EV tax credit takes effect Jan 1, you can bet there will be a lot of us trying to delay until on or after Jan 1st…. $7,500 isn’t chump change!

I don’t think waiting is wise. Tesla is at the point now where they are removing items and raising prices. It is not all supply chain reflated as they would have you believe. It’s called maximizing profit. As I recall they removed the lumbar, radar sensors, usb data connectivity, a power steering sensor, charge cables and took away lifetime standard connectivity. I probably missed a few. I don’t remember anything be added recently in spite of price increases.

I don’t think waiting is wise. Tesla is at the point now where they are removing items and raising prices. It is not all supply chain reflated as they would have you believe. It’s called maximizing profit. As I recall they removed the lumbar, radar sensors, usb data connectivity, a power steering sensor, charge cables and took away lifetime standard connectivity. I probably missed a few. I don’t remember anything be added recently in spite of price increases.
There is nothing on the radar that is going to impact the daily usability of the car from an improvements perspective.

Austin cars get rear parcel shelf and the magnetically latched center console. AFAIK there is nothing else different about the LR cars they are currently assembling.

Maybe sometime next year LR cars get bumped to matrix headlights to differentiate them from the SR cars, but probably not.

There's also gen-4 AP hardware coming with the Cybertruck that will probably show up in all the other vehicles but that could be at least a year off.

I was also a proponent of waiting for improvements but with supply shortages and inflation it seems that Tesla has really slowed the introduction of upgrades this year and it's unknown if that changes in any meaningful way in Q1 of 2023.

As far as the federal tax credit... people also delayed their Q4 2021 deliveries for as long as possible anticipating that credit would return in 2022 and we all know how that panned out.

There is nothing on the radar that is going to impact the daily usability of the car from an improvements perspective.

Austin cars get rear parcel shelf and the magnetically latched center console. AFAIK there is nothing else different about the LR cars they are currently assembling.

Maybe sometime next year LR cars get bumped to matrix headlights to differentiate them from the SR cars, but probably not.

There's also gen-4 AP hardware coming with the Cybertruck that will probably show up in all the other vehicles but that could be at least a year off.

I was also a proponent of waiting for improvements but with supply shortages and inflation it seems that Tesla has really slowed the introduction of upgrades this year and it's unknown if that changes in any meaningful way in Q1 of 2023.

As far as the federal tax credit... people also delayed their Q4 2021 deliveries for as long as possible anticipating that credit would return in 2022 and we all know how that panned out.
I never understood why all versions of the Model 3 get the matrix headlights but only the Model Y Performance gets them.
That makes no sense.

Yes but it would decrease build complexity and inventory if they put the matrix lights on all model 3 and model Y. And it would make the customers happier as well.

It's not clear they have sufficient supply of matrix to put them on all Model 3's plus Model Y's. In fact, the Model 3 lost the Matrix lights for a few months this year (see rants on model 3 board).

I agree long term they will probably make Matrix standard everywhere.