Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you delay delivery to wait on Model Y improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am disappointed that Tesla is not taking a more proactive approach. Certainly, Tesla has buyers who would not be eligible for the incentive that starts in January - those over the income limit, corporate purchases such as Hertz. Why wouldn't Tesla prioritize which to schedule for delivery and those who would rather, wait until after January 1.

As a shareholder, I'm angry that Tesla is not taking measure to avert a potential delivery disaster. It could happen that thousands of customers delay their delivery until after the end of December. Since Tesla didn't have their act together, they end up with lots of inventory, low deliveries at the end of the year and then thousands clamoring to get theirs as of January 1.
they didn't manage it well last year when the BBB legislation was hyped and people scurried to delay. but they muddled thru.
maybe they learned, maybe they didn't.
but they never discuss their internal workings if they can help it, so you don't know what you don't know. anger misplaced.

Elon is busy with Twitter. His wrath will only get delivered after they fail. But China+Europe is killing it, and will likely cover for any North America shortfall.
the stock is getting hammered because of the perception that Elon's distracted (which he is). Buy now. I suspect they'll make good numbers for Q4 deliveries.

I am disappointed that Tesla is not taking a more proactive approach. Certainly, Tesla has buyers who would not be eligible for the incentive that starts in January - those over the income limit, corporate purchases such as Hertz. Why wouldn't Tesla prioritize which to schedule for delivery and those who would rather, wait until after January 1.

As a shareholder, I'm angry that Tesla is not taking measure to avert a potential delivery disaster. It could happen that thousands of customers delay their delivery until after the end of December. Since Tesla didn't have their act together, they end up with lots of inventory, low deliveries at the end of the year and then thousands clamoring to get theirs as of January 1.
How does tesla know someone is over the income limit?

Did my part and bought a Model Y which we picked up on Nov.5. That was less than a month from placing the order on Oct.9 so for those that have decided to push off ordering or canceled to wait, I say thank you! I'm also long TSLA and have been since the Solar City deal and will continue to be since I still believe in Tesla as a company. This is our second Tesla and the build quality just keeps getting better. Our Model 3 was the best car I've ever owned and now I can say the Model Y is even better.

How does tesla know someone is over the income limit?
Tesla doesn’t, but the IRS does. If Tesla honors a tax credit, it is reported to the IRS and will be reflected as a claimed tax credit. If you don’t qualify, I’m sure you would be able to rectify when you file your return. I doubt sellers would be liable.
This is speculation, of course. Provisions of the law specify DEALERS only can apply the credit at the point of sale. I am expecting Tesla NOT ABLE to apply it at the point of sale and I will have to get it when I file my 2023 tax return.

Tesla doesn’t, but the IRS does. If Tesla honors a tax credit, it is reported to the IRS and will be reflected as a claimed tax credit. If you don’t qualify, I’m sure you would be able to rectify when you file your return. I doubt sellers would be liable.
This is speculation, of course. Provisions of the law specify DEALERS only can apply the credit at the point of sale. I am expecting Tesla NOT ABLE to apply it at the point of sale and I will have to get it when I file my 2023 tax return.
They have a year to figure that out, as the point of sale provision isn’t introduced until 2024. I wonder if they would use the previous years tax records for it when it does come out. That might help some people sneak by anyway.

Reactions: MP3Mike
They have a year to figure that out, as the point of sale provision isn’t introduced until 2024. I wonder if they would use the previous years tax records for it when it does come out. That might help some people sneak by anyway.
as you say there's a year to figure it out, but if a rebate is claimed without being qualified, the Seller reporting requirement will enable the funds to be recaptured by the IRS. if not reported correctly by the taxpayer, the iRS will be sending a hefty bill - usually with interest added.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffnReno
I think, from my personal experience, it would be nicer for Tesla to be transparent on what exactly you have or don't have in your car. There should be a base spec to set expectations and anything added or subtracted due to availability, changeover, etc. should be detailed to the client. It does take a bit of time but I am pretty sure it's not something that hard to do as it's just a detailed BOM that they can make customer facing without the need of an actual representative to craft manually.

They can even do certain things where they can schedule in upgrades if said part is not available for now but you have already paid for it or simply give the option to get $ credit back for missing said option.

I think, from my personal experience, it would be nicer for Tesla to be transparent on what exactly you have or don't have in your car. There should be a base spec to set expectations and anything added or subtracted due to availability, changeover, etc. should be detailed to the client. It does take a bit of time but I am pretty sure it's not something that hard to do as it's just a detailed BOM that they can make customer facing without the need of an actual representative to craft manually.

They can even do certain things where they can schedule in upgrades if said part is not available for now but you have already paid for it or simply give the option to get $ credit back for missing said option.
I'd be surprised, given the highly data-centric nature of Tesla's manufacturing process, if all that information isn't available for each individual VIN.
You can in fact ask a Tesla Sales or Service Associate specific questions about your VIN and it's components (ie AMD vs Intel, etc).

It might also be an interesting, but likely marginally profitable, opportunity for Tesla to offer scheduled upgrades for a fee.

I'd be surprised, given the highly data-centric nature of Tesla's manufacturing process, if all that information isn't available for each individual VIN.
You can in fact ask a Tesla Sales or Service Associate specific questions about your VIN and it's components (ie AMD vs Intel, etc).

It might also be an interesting, but likely marginally profitable, opportunity for Tesla to offer scheduled upgrades for a fee.
Yah, thinking they can make their strength an actual strength, having all that data and automatically packaging it for customer to review, like a checklist on what you are getting when you pick up your car and accept, versus having to figure out like the current comfort or no comfort suspension, new/old camera, uss or not, matrix or not. The last few are easy to tell but still, having to check what you get just seems archaic.

I personally feel that buying a Tesla is like buying a tech product. Can you imagine if you feel uncertain when buying your next android/iphone, what hardware it comes with? Did my iPhone 14 Pro come equipped with the A16 chip or maybe they ran out and gave me A15? Maybe the camera on this new phone still have the old sensor because they ran out, let me check the IMEI...lol

Reactions: uicandrew and ord3r
Yah, thinking they can make their strength an actual strength, having all that data and automatically packaging it for customer to review, like a checklist on what you are getting when you pick up your car and accept, versus having to figure out like the current comfort or no comfort suspension, new/old camera, uss or not, matrix or not. The last few are easy to tell but still, having to check what you get just seems archaic.

I personally feel that buying a Tesla is like buying a tech product. Can you imagine if you feel uncertain when buying your next android/iphone, what hardware it comes with? Did my iPhone 14 Pro come equipped with the A16 chip or maybe they ran out and gave me A15? Maybe the camera on this new phone still have the old sensor because they ran out, let me check the IMEI...lol
Buying a Tesla is EXACTLY like buying a tech product. They've positioned themselves there deliberately.
Meanwhile, all the fuss and fury over getting 'the latest sugar' is inflicted on us all.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
Buying a Tesla is EXACTLY like buying a tech product. They've positioned themselves there deliberately.
Meanwhile, all the fuss and fury over getting 'the latest sugar' is inflicted on us all.
I like this comment, even though I am now in the DELAY crowd.

I've spent hours reading older 'delay' threads to learn the rules related to HOLD and REFUSE VIN but I'm never sure if a post is still the way Tesla does things today. For the most part it comes down to this: Tesla offers an option for $250, to be used or forfeited when a VIN is assigned. Seems like a reasonable approach to me IF I knew the particulars of the assigned car. But since Tesla does not give out detailed car specs, I'm not sure what I am buying.

I think Tesla would answer, 'you are buying a performance spec.'330 miles range, up to 250 kW peak charging, basic AP. '
Computer tech does this; e.g., a computer manufacturer may off a TB HD, but not tell you the supplier or the HD speed. It gets trickier with Tesla though when performance specs are not mentioned at all, or any only in a vague way. Say I want double pane glass. There is no spec that tells me whether it is being used, or whether my VIN has the performance equivalent. How about 'Basic AP.' Is that with or without phantom braking ?

People say 'you will get no less that what was offered when you ordered,' and I am fine with that ... if I knew the details of what was on offer when I place an order or accept a VIN.

Reactions: Mike7564
People say 'you will get no less that what was offered when you ordered,' and I am fine with that ... if I knew the details of what was on offer when I place an order or accept a VIN.

But that's not true either... off the top of my head: radar, passenger lumbar, USS, data usb ports in center console, CCS compatibility (later added back)...

You get what they give you. If you want to get a car with specific stuff, you need to see existing inventory and verify in person or buy used.

Generally speaking, they do add more than they take away, but it's definitely not transparent.

Reactions: AJ.. and SageBrush
But that's not true either... off the top of my head: radar, passenger lumbar, USS, data usb ports in center console, CCS compatibility (later added back)...
There are exceptions for sure. Some will remember when Tesla removed or changed parts during peak supply disruption. I find their actions to be pretty darned reasonable for the most part. But sometimes not, and then I want a choice. And we only hear about these things after the fact, from customers who took delivery.

Passenger lumbar makes me laugh. I hate it, so when Tesla took it out of the passenger seat my thought was 'good!.' The other day my wife and I took a test drive in a Model Y and my wife's only comment was "where is the lumbar !?" Nowadays though, I don't even know where to find in the car detail whether it has lumbar as a car part. It is this increasing lack of content detail that is getting under my skin.

Here is a 3rd party spec list that is pretty good although not comprehensive. Where is the information from ?

Last edited:
I feel like Tesla may have adjusted their hold/delay policy post-recent price drop. I ordered a MYLR 1/20/22 and finally got a delivery text sometime in late November. I ignored it and expected it to be cancelled. The app said it would be cancelled as well but it just remained in my app for some reason. There was no option to select.

Then yesterday I got the "Your upcoming Model Y Order Cancellation" email saying that if I didn't select "I'm Ready" by 1/20 my order would be cancelled. I assume this is because Tesla had a drop in sales EoY 22' and put all pending cancellations on Hold. When they updated my order agreement with new prices (I received an email and text saying this occurred) it put it back into an active state.

Reactions: Mike7564
I feel like Tesla may have adjusted their hold/delay policy post-recent price drop. I ordered a MYLR 1/20/22 and finally got a delivery text sometime in late November. I ignored it and expected it to be cancelled. The app said it would be cancelled as well but it just remained in my app for some reason. There was no option to select.

Then yesterday I got the "Your upcoming Model Y Order Cancellation" email saying that if I didn't select "I'm Ready" by 1/20 my order would be cancelled. I assume this is because Tesla had a drop in sales EoY 22' and put all pending cancellations on Hold. When they updated my order agreement with new prices (I received an email and text saying this occurred) it put it back into an active state.
That's exactly what happened to me as well
It was pending cancelation second part of Dec. But then come 1/13, I got an updated order total email and order moved to hold and I needed to remove hold by 1/20. Or would be cancelled again.

Last edited:
Well actually you could make some money delaying after the 2k drop on the price of the long range in the last two days. Unless they will let you take that 2k cost drop.
I think prices may go down all the raw component costs are falling now.
They set the date for me and told me I could only delay one day .

Well actually you could make some money delaying after the 2k drop on the price of the long range in the last two days. Unless they will let you take that 2k cost drop.
I think prices may go down all the raw component costs are falling now.
They set the date for me and told me I could only delay one day .
the primary costs are battery related, and those haven't come down just yet.
Resources are more in demand than ever as the realization has finally dawned that electrification is serious business.
It's going tp take a few years yet.

Tesla price adjustments aren't due to costs declining or demand faltering.
It's a play to pressure the margins of Tesla's competitors.
If they aren't making money, it will be harder for them to up their games, leaving the market more in Tesla's control.

Friend of mine, had a Y on order, and delayed delivery. When he was ready to take it, he was lucky, he learned that Tesla had removed the parking sensors on the 2023 Y/3, and he didn't like that. He learned before he took delivery and cancelled the purchase. Then went and found a 2022 3 and bought it. He had sold his first 3, in anticipation of taking delivery of the Y. And changed his mind. Anyone else heard of them removing them removing parking sensors?

Friend of mine, had a Y on order, and delayed delivery. When he was ready to take it, he was lucky, he learned that Tesla had removed the parking sensors on the 2023 Y/3, and he didn't like that. He learned before he took delivery and cancelled the purchase. Then went and found a 2022 3 and bought it. He had sold his first 3, in anticipation of taking delivery of the Y. And changed his mind. Anyone else heard of them removing them removing parking sensors?
Yes, got our MYLR in November “, replacing our 2022 M3P, with no USS. About a month ago got an OTA update that uses vision to replace the Park Assist and we find it works as good as USS. No issue. In some cases it’s better because it remembers what is in front of you E.g. curbs where USS did not pick up. All good for us.