Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you drive on Track Mode all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you drive on track mode all the time? Will it be more wear on the batteries and brakes?

What’s the downside of driving in Track Mode on my day to day daily drives?

The handling is amazing in track mode. I’m not sure why this isn’t a normal option in the regular setting.

...Can you drive on track mode all the time?...

I have no idea about racing and I've never been in on a "Performance" model but I am not sure what you are asking.

I assume as long as you can click on your 15" screen, you are on track mode. I don't imagine Tesla has geofenced so drivers can't use track mode outside of race tracks.

So, should the answer be "Yes, you can" but I guess what you mean is: If you can, then should you?

...Will it be more wear on the batteries and brakes?...

I assume yes because the focus of track mode is performance while energy savings and brake savings are secondary.

However, you still get the full regen even if you manually use brakes more often in this mode.

...What’s the downside of driving in Track Mode on my day to day daily drives?...

Like you mentioned above, energy consumption is devoted for performance. If it can boost power to your 2 motors, it would with no hesitation on energy savings.

Also, there would be less ABS interventions to give you more controls on braking.

Also, there would be less traction-control which gives you more slide actions that race drivers love.

Those are great for the track but I am not sure the police would like to see you sliding toward their patrol car :)

P3 owner here. Funny I asked this question too.

Basically it turns off all the safety features including the ones the car assists with in case of an emergency.

There were several people who said they leave it on all the time and have no issues but agreed, the car is safer with track mode off.

Every Sunday I get up early and go out for a drive. I always turn it on. It’s like another level of performance mode.

P3 owner here. Funny I asked this question too.

Basically it turns off all the safety features including the ones the car assists with in case of an emergency.

There were several people who said they leave it on all the time and have no issues but agreed, the car is safer with track mode off.

Every Sunday I get up early and go out for a drive. I always turn it on. It’s like another level of performance mode.
I haven't even had a chance to try mine yet. I gotta find a safe place and give it a shot.

I haven't even had a chance to try mine yet. I gotta find a safe place and give it a shot.

The single best part is turning under heavy acceleration. You know how you experience the hesitation with traction control? That goes away entirely.

With the force of the turn and the torque of the motors it feels like a 30% increase in speed.

As you stated, just practice starting slower. When the back end gives out it’s scary. Once you get the feel of what to expect it’s unlike anything I’ve ever driven.

I never considered taking mine to a track but playing with track mode, I’m going to do it now.

You absolutely CAN drive everywhere in Track Mode....HOWEVER....the driving dynamics of the car change. You will powerslide around curves when you don't mean to, which may lead to discussions with the cops.

Not to mention, your consumption will be sky high, due to the coolant loops constantly running. You will pay more to charge up than normal, and therefore, it wouldn't be worth it.

Reactions: android04
The single best part is turning under heavy acceleration. You know how you experience the hesitation with traction control? That goes away entirely.

This! I started playing with this (track mode) while on curvy winded roads and it's SO MUCH FUN. The handling is amazing. Again, does anyone know why this handling isn't an option? Perhaps the next option after "sport"?

I'm kinda worried of and as those mentioned above about the safety features. I guess I only plan on using this when I'm somewhere with nice curvy roads.

Reactions: sleevin
This! I started playing with this (track mode) while on curvy winded roads and it's SO MUCH FUN. The handling is amazing. Again, does anyone know why this handling isn't an option? Perhaps the next option after "sport"?

I'm kinda worried of and as those mentioned above about the safety features. I guess I only plan on using this when I'm somewhere with nice curvy roads.

I am often tempted to pull over and turn it on. With it being turned off, I just like that there is a small chance the car might save me before I can react.

Sunday at 6am that thinking goes out the window.