Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you turn the screen off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So tonight I went to a drive-in movie and the screen in my Model 3 was annoying. Even at it's lowest brightness setting and in dark mode it was still distracting. I tried enabling screen clean mode, which i believe use to cause the whole screen to go back, but now shows a permanent, bright white, message saying to hold for 5 seconds to exit. I couldn't find any way to completely darken the screen while still sitting in the car listening to the radio with the A/C on. Best I could do was turn the brightness all the way down and then bring up the menu to mostly cover the map. I thought about pulling up a YouTube or Netflix video and just pausing it on a black screen, but that takes over the audio and the audio for the movie was being broadcast on an FM station.

So did I miss something? Is there some way to completely darken the screen for this situation?

• Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p
Keep in mind that even if you can play a Youtube with a black screen it will still put out light. LCD's use an always on backlight and can't really show black. The best thing would be to buy a piece of black felt large enough to cover the screen and maybe use rubber bands to hold it on.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
@Dan203 I noticed some screen protector, or you can just use a black towel.

I was wondering the use of such cover, may be to keep the car stealth at night when Sentry is on and detect some motion?
(but you would also need to cover the front headlights and the rear read lights, or find a way to turn them off)

51T2xpJFsjL._AC_SL1005_.jpg

Yeah, found the campfire image less annoying than the cleaning mode message.

Did we figure out the best “mode” for a drive-in theater? I thought here was something about the headlights and HVAC that was still being questioned
For HVAC and the radio staying on, you want to use Camp Mode.
I found to get the headlights off, I had to select "Parking Lights", then "Off". If I only selected "Off" some lights (maybe the DRLs) stayed on.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
@Dan203 I noticed some screen protector, or you can just use a black towel.

I was wondering the use of such cover, may be to keep the car stealth at night when Sentry is on and detect some motion?
(but you would also need to cover the front headlights and the rear read lights, or find a way to turn them off)

51T2xpJFsjL._AC_SL1005_.jpg

That's a good option. For $14 I ordered one. Not sure if I'll be going back to the drive-in or not, but it'll be nice to have if I do.

Reactions: bisco
Found a nice piece of white foam used to protect my new wheels in the box they came in, already cut lines in the areas that fold over the top, just need to tape the inside portion of the foam so that the folds hold in place, also spray it down with some matted black spray paint.

Simple cardboard will work too, I measured the screen to be 14 inches wide and 9 1/4 long.

5097F678-4EE5-48BB-B66C-53703C6D2BB5.jpeg

Reactions: EVNation
Noticed this too when I went to the drive in this weekend. There is just no way to turn the screen off. I thought ah yes, I’ll do screen cleaning mode but how annoying and bright that new instruction page is. So I next said ah yes, camp mode. And after a few minutes the campfire came on, luckily with no sound like romance mode.. but I thought for sure there’s a monitor off toggle in camp mode, if I tap the screen or something that goes away, right? I mean, if I were camping and trying to sleep, I’d eventually want DARKNESS. Crazy how that didn’t come up when they were developing it.
I guess the screen does make a good coat rack for a hoodie or a towel. Need somewhere to wipe my hands after the popcorn anyway :)

Reactions: Mattopotamus