Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you Walk-in and buy a Tesla Model Y on the spot? Inventory shows Immediately Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told two different stories from Tesla reps. The closest location is about 2 hours from me.
I have a limited window, and have to buy on a specific day. The first rep told me, the best thing to do is show up in person, and the advisor will help get you setup and you can drive away that same day. As long as no trade in and some other goofy stuff.

The next advisor I talked to after having some follow up questions, told me that walk-ins are not allowed and you must place all orders online and set a future delivery date even if it says available.

Anyone shed light?

I bought a Model 3 for my gf in Dec 2023. That was in Ottawa, ON.
We looked up the car we were interested in, and the only holdups on site were that I obviously didn't have a bank draft available (that can be arranged quicky unless you are dealing with an online bank) and that they were unable to go to Service Ontario to get the car registered the same day. The latter might have worked if we hadn't shown up at like 3:30 PM.
Bottomline is: yes, if you come in early enough so that they have time to get the paperwork done, you can absolutely get the car the same day. Depending on legislation in other provinces/territories/states, your millage may vary.

Upvote 0
I've been told two different stories from Tesla reps. The closest location is about 2 hours from me.
I have a limited window, and have to buy on a specific day. The first rep told me, the best thing to do is show up in person, and the advisor will help get you setup and you can drive away that same day. As long as no trade in and some other goofy stuff.

The next advisor I talked to after having some follow up questions, told me that walk-ins are not allowed and you must place all orders online and set a future delivery date even if it says available.

Anyone shed light?

In my area there are Tesla stores I call showrooms (in the big malls) where you can test drive and purchase online, but they don't do deliveries. To recieve the Tesla we have to go to the store I call the hub where they prep and deliver the vehicles and store their in-inventory vehicles; the location used to be a car dealership so it has a car dealership look to it. Quite smart and efficient way to process the massive amount of vehicles the move each day. Yes in my area you can walk into the hub and purchase & leave the same day an in-inventory vehicle. I saw a family do it yesterday, but they were told they'd have to wait 4 hours for delivery because they had to process the scheduled ones first. If you want to do that, make sure you confirm it's a hub or delivery center and that the vehicle is in stock and what time to arrive to ensure they have the bandwidth to process you same day.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering several things;

• Does the $1k MY April price increase apply to inventory purchases too, or only build to order?
  • How long can I delay payment from the moment of making the deposit amount on an inventory purchase?
  • Is the deposit day considered the day of purchase, or the day it's paid in full and you take delivery?
  • Does paying the deposit amount lock in the price, meaning a deposit on March 31 avoids the price in crease in April?
  • What are the downsides of buying from inventory vs build to order?
My state is offering a subsidy on new EV's purchased on or after April 3rd. "Vehicles must be purchased or leased between April 3, 2024, to June 3, 2024, to be eligible for a rebate." If Tesla is increasing the price in April, I'm wondering if I can get Tesla's lower price in March, but fulfill the state requirement to purchase on April 3rd or thereafter?

Upvote 0
I'm wondering several things;

• Does the $1k MY April price increase apply to inventory purchases too, or only build to order?
  • How long can I delay payment from the moment of making the deposit amount on an inventory purchase?
  • Is the deposit day considered the day of purchase, or the day it's paid in full and you take delivery?
  • Does paying the deposit amount lock in the price, meaning a deposit on March 31 avoids the price in crease in April?
  • What are the downsides of buying from inventory vs build to order?
My state is offering a subsidy on new EV's purchased on or after April 3rd. "Vehicles must be purchased or leased between April 3, 2024, to June 3, 2024, to be eligible for a rebate." If Tesla is increasing the price in April, I'm wondering if I can get Tesla's lower price in March, but fulfill the state requirement to purchase on April 3rd or thereafter?

In my opinion you will not see a price increase on inventory, maybe day 1, but it will drop again if it does go up. Elon knows the competition is heating up so he's waging a price war to flood the market with Teslas effectively hurting competition.

Reactions: redpoint5
Upvote 0
In my opinion you will not see a price increase on inventory, maybe day 1, but it will drop again if it does go up. Elon knows the competition is heating up so he's waging a price war to flood the market with Teslas effectively hurting competition.
Inventory cars are priced as a percentage off MSRP, so when the MSRP went up earlier this quarter the inventory prices did indeed rise.

Reactions: redpoint5
Upvote 0
Inventory cars are priced as a percentage off MSRP, so when the MSRP went up earlier this quarter the inventory prices did indeed rise.

True and as I said the price could rise but within a day or two Tesla will issue new incentives and increase the discounts. Inventory Y's are being sold at all-time lows since the last MSRP hike. If your willing to take Stealth Grey you can pickup a Y with 19s for $44,090.

Upvote 0
Depends on the delivery center. I mean some places have cars on the lot (or close by). Others, like where I live, have to ship them from out of state. So, for example, Tesla can't in Michigan keep cars in the state (part of old state law that helps dealership monopolies) but only bring them in once the sale is happening. I don't get the nonsense but it took about a week to get the car shipped to Ann Arbor from Ohio.

Upvote 0