Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada VIN thread and Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the clarification, your first post made it look like the order experience was a problem, which is in fact as easy as can be. However as for what to do with your old car, that is a different story. Perhaps they could improve the trade-in process, but I bet that's not a priority for them right now so I wouldn't expect improvements in that area for a long, long time. Even for Elon-time. Instead I'd look at the trade-in as a probable low-ball offer that saves you a little in tax and the headache of selling your car - i.e. imagine the lowest price you could get for your car and realize they'll likely offer a bit less than that.

Up to now I've bought and sold all my cars myself used. First with classified ads in the paper and Auto Trader magazine. Nowadays online with Kijiji and AutoTrader.ca. If you are on FaceBook, I hear FaceBook Marketplace works well too. I've never found it a problem selling on Kijiji and AutoTrader. Take lots of photos, especially of defects. Be very honest in the description of the car. If a buyer finds something you failed to point out, they'll wonder how many other defects you're hiding and will usually walk. That's a waste of your time (and theirs). Get a CarFax report done. Research prices on what your model sells for on the above venues and price accordingly. If you're willing to haggle, deal with lots of shoppers and want to hold out for the most money - price it a bit high. If you just want to get rid of the darned thing, price a bit on the low side. I price on the low side and I've always sold within a few days and to the first or second interested party - minimal hassle on my part. It will still fetch you far more than what you'll get offered by Tesla. Maybe two hours doing up the postings, another hour or two fielding phone calls and emails and one to two hrs for each "showing". Price it right and it can be gone quickly. Or simply accept what Tesla offers. Or look elsewhere...

Thanks for the feedback. I am supposed to talk to the Tesla Sales Rep again so i think it all depends on how that conversation goes - the experience dealing with them as compared to Mercedes or BMW is so different - I don't like not being valued as a customer and that is how they make it seem. I wasn't sure if it was just a sales rep issue or that is Tesla.

How was your Canadian order experience? I am contemplating not buying the Model 3 currently due to the order experience. They're making it seem like I should be grateful that they are allowing me to buy a car from them instead of wooing me as a customer.

I think they assume that there is no need to woo anyone anymore because hundreds of thousands have already decided to buy the car. I bet all manufacturers would do the same thing too if they were in a similar situation. Seriously though, Tesla gives a much lower trade-in figure because they turn around and offload it to a wholesaler. They consider taking a trade-in as providing an ancillary service to their customers as they are not really in the usual new/used car dealership business.

Last edited:
I think they assume that there is no need to woo anyone anymore because hundreds of thousands have already decided to buy the car. I bet all manufacturers would do the same thing too if they were in a similar situation. Seriously though, Tesla gives a much lower trade-in figure because they turn around and offload it to a wholesaler. They consider taking a trade-in as providing an ancillary service to their customers as they are not really in the usual new/used car dealership business.

I did finally get them to give me an estimate when I said I may walk away from the deal. And the offer was very low - over $10k lower than black book trade in value of the car. I really am not in the mood to try and private sale but don't like throwing away cash - Autotrader has people seeking my same car for $15K more than the trade in offer. I am really struggling with this and if I should purchase the model 3.

I did finally get them to give me an estimate when I said I may walk away from the deal. And the offer was very low - over $10k lower than black book trade in value of the car. I really am not in the mood to try and private sale but don't like throwing away cash - Autotrader has people seeking my same car for $15K more than the trade in offer. I am really struggling with this and if I should purchase the model 3.

Sell it privately and move on. Others have chosen to trade accepting Tesla wholesale, not retail, value for their trade. Some for convenience and to avoid the hassle. Tesla is not going to give you anywhere near what you can sell it for at ‘retail’ privately.

I got my VIN, and I sold my Nissan Leaf 2015 (a guy paid deposit). I did not expect that I can sell my Nissan Leaf that quickly within two days after I put my ad on kijiji.. I did not even ask Tesla, as I know they will never close to how much I can sell privately..

So that is corporate and not just the crappy Tesla store I need to deal with. I bought two ev cars last year and each dealership submitted the ev credit for me and deducted at time of purchase - I would have hoped a luxury company like Tesla would do this for their customers to make the purchase experience that much easier.
I was going to dismiss this claim as not accurate since the US Federal tax incentive is only discounted by the dealer for leased vehicles and I assumed ON was the same. I looked up the Ontario incentive and FAQ #14 shows that yes, it is possible for dealers to submit this on your behalf and give you the discount up front. Assumptions and asses and all that...

However, you need to realize that Tesla is different. First, you are not visiting a dealer, you are visiting a store. Tesla is not going to do government rebate paperwork for you in the same way that a home improvement store won't for an energy efficient appliance that has a government incentive on it. Dealerships are willing to carry the balance of the discount until Ontario pays them back as an incentive to get people in the showroom. Tesla doesn't do that. 2nd, Tesla just doesn't give discounts on new-build cars. Period. Elon has famously said even his family members pay full price. Employees have been fired for even implying discounts can happen.

You may see this as worse service. I just see it as different. Approaching this as a new way to buy a car and checking all your previous expectations for car buying may relieve some of the frustrations.

Reactions: Words of HABIT